Enlarge person...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by walexander86, Aug 29, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. walexander86

walexander86 Member

So, I can't help but feel the enlarge person spell is malfunctioning in TOEE.
    In pnp, it makes the target one size category larger. This should have a few effects, including providing a +4 bonus on opposed trip checks and increasing reach (if enlarging to large size or greater). However, when my human fighter with a spiked chain is enlarged via the spell, his reach is the same at 10ft, whereas it should be increased to 20ft.
    One of my favorite characters is a fighter/barbarian with a spiked chain, combat expertise, combat reflexes and improved trip who is enlarged. He will have 20ft reach, melee touch attack to trip (opposed rolls with +4 for large size, +4 for improved trip and a high strength score thanks to enlarge person and rage) and have many attacks of opportunity. It is hard for enemies to get past him and he can throw his BAB into combat expertise (as he only needs touch attacks to hit anyway) to make him harder to hit. Back him up with a cleric for heals and he is an unmovable wall. Does anyone know how I might go about correcting the rule-set for TOEE to allow this extended reach?​

2. outdrack

outdrack Member

ToEE does come with the size modifer after enlarge. According to the ingame rules. Size modifer adjust +8, +4, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -4, -8 to the character hit/AC modifer. (this is from small to large, so when you get larger you get the approximate -1/-2/-4/-8 modifer)

After looking at the rolls, the size bonus when accounting trip does apply. However, according to my testing spike chain does not have a trip bonus in this computer roleplaying game. (Heres a thread discussing it two years back http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8546)

I don't think we (As in you and me) can fix this, the Modders here might be able to do something about it.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree, it would be nice to get the automatic chance to trip with the spiked chain if you do more than 10 damage and succeed at an opposing strength check.

Right now most of Co8's assets are working on bringing KotB up to a complete state though.

4. short

short Member

Only slightly related, but I recently noticed that some weapons scale incorrectly when using the enlarge spell. Weapons that should do 3d6 damage, like the greatsword, do 2d8. It's sad because the reach weapons are already superior in every way except base damage, but this bug roughly halves that advantage as well (when enlarged, which my melee fighters usually are).

Though I'm a bit confused when you say that your reach doesn't increase, OP, because it definitely increases for me when I use enlarge spell as demonstrated by Elmo wielding a spiked chain in the following picture:

large.jpg

He also gets the +4 size bonus to trip, so I'm not entirely sure what you feel isn't working correctly.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
Our Host!