Did spiked chains trip/disarm bonus ever get fixed?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by stigma, Oct 23, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. stigma

stigma Member

Hey all,

I am actually going to play through the game for the first time. I know - SHAME on me! I odnt know how this eluded me so long. Goddamnit - I wish Neverwinter and Baldurs gate had done the same kind of true turn based combat *sigh*

Well anyway, I am playing the latest Co8 mod version (after patch 1&2 obviously), and I am wondering if Spiked chains at some point got fixed. I read somewhere on the forums that they actually didnt give any bonuses to trip and disarm like they are supposed to - and so there was actually no point to using them since in the game all reach weapons also hit adjecent enemies unlike in P&P.

So in short:
    Spiked chains are supposed to have +2 to disarm and be able to counter a failed trip by dropping the chain. Do these bonuses work in the game co8 latest beta? Do they exist but are different from P&P? Are they completely absent? If so Id rather just save a feat and go with a glaive and do more damage to boot...

Thanks in advance :)
    -Stigma

EDIT: I did BTW actually read though all the changelogs on the c08 mod, from the first edition to the last - but honestly there is so much text there I might easily have missed it. Just wanted to say that I atleast tried to find the answer on my own before asking ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well first of all, welcome Stigma. Hope your play through will be a good one, even if you must suffer horrible deaths at all corners.

I do not have an answer for you on the spiked chain, so hopefully someone else can provide what the game has available. I happen to like the graphic of the chain, but I agree that there are other reach weapons with better damage or crit ranges out there.

3. stigma

stigma Member

Thanks for the warm welcome even if you couldn't help :)

I hope someone else out there knows and can tell me.

-Stigma

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Your welcome and through yourself in the forum. We do not bite....MUCH! :D

I read a few other older threads and at least in those versions the spiked chain does not add anything to trip attacks. You can use any weapon to trip and so that aspect of a spiked chain if not implemented in TOEE.

The consensus seems to be better to use another reach weapon, for the damage and higher crit ranges. Plus in case you did not know, you can strike at targets within 5 feet with other reach weapons as well as 10 feet, so the PnP advantages of a spiked chain are moot in the computer game.

Now I will admit I could be wrong, so take what I have said as you will.

5. stigma

stigma Member

I expected as much really - so unless I hear something else later on then I guess il just be going with the glaive. It does look pretty good too anyway ;)

-Stigma

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well both the glaive and the ransuer has a cool animation for their crit hits. Well have fun Stigma and may thy foes tremble at the approach of you staunch bunch of (anti?)heroes.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Personally, the only reach weapon I allow myself to use is the spiked chain, because the others take advantage of the lack of the donut-shaped threat range.

Also, there's no disarm at all in ToEE.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I love using the glaive with combat reflexes and great cleave!

Somebody fails their tumble and BAM!! I'm surrounded with dead bodies.:dribble: And like was said, pretty decent crit animation.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Throw an enlarge in there and you are death incarnate. I keep a couple of wands of enlarge on hand at all times.

Our Host!