What gives 60 xp?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, Apr 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Just found a curious anomaly and wanted to check with those of you playing for a long time to see what it could be.

Party has just levelled up to level 3. Three PCs (rogue, fighter, ranger) have 3002 xp, the cleric and wizzy have 3062 xp.

No deaths, no rez or reincarnations, all been in the same fights, same quests, no crafting or brewing done, in fact all condition have been the same for all PCs.

Any suggestions?

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I am pretty sure you do not gain exp while being unconcious. I assume you also don't get exp when dead.

I want to say that if you disarm a trap but are very far away from the trap then only those close to the trap will get exp... but I might be off on that one.

In general I find that all my party members will have different exp as some will be unconcious and some will die and at the end of combat the ones that aren't in the game don't gain exp.

- Livonya

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I haven't run into that myself. Until I start crafting, all my characters have the same XP. AFAIK, the game should award XP to characters that were knocked unconcious or killed in a particular fight (they did participate, after all) but I don't know whether it actually does so. Characters that were unconscious/dead for the duration of the battle, on the other hand, shouldn't.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks Liv.

I figured it would be something like this been trying to replicate but it's a little tough when you don't know what gives 60 xp :) I need to get me a 2nd hand copy of the Player's Handbook.

Zeb

5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I could be wrong about that, but that is how I remember it working.

- Livonya

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

im not sure but dont you get XP for identifing things?? which your cleric and wiz do with both read magic and identify

7. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

You're not supposed to get any exp from identifying things, I don't think. I was also thinking that the discrepancy might have come from levelling up at different times. Lower level chars get less experience than higher level guys, so if you levelled your non-cleric/non-wizzy guys up first, that'd explain why the others have more.

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Experience points awarded are in the DMG, but they depend on the CR (Challenge Rating) of the monster in comparison to the level of the characters. There are no flat XP awards.

I checked while playing tonight and ToEE does award XP to unconscious characters dropped in that fight, as it should. I have not checked to see if it awards XP to characters unconcious before the fight. (Whether or not it awards XP to dead characters is irrelevant since Raise Dead drops their XP to halfway through the previous level anyway.)

Our Host!