Warlock / Rogue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OLLY613, Jul 3, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Hey all. I just had a random thought this morning. Is there a way to sneak attack with eldritch blast? Probably not a great build but I thought it was an interesting concept.

2. zertzax

zertzax Member

I don't remember that being possible when I played NWN2, but others more knowledgeable may know better than I.

3. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought more about it and I don't think it's possible.

I am curious what kind of dmg boosting abilities can be added to eldritch blast.

4. zertzax

zertzax Member

You could, at least in NWN2, add different types of energy to the eldritch blast. But otherwise I think only getting to higher levels/epic feats will help with the damage.

5. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Normal eldritch blast is like a ray spell with a ranged touch attack, so it should get sneak attack damage as long as you're within 30 feet and satisfy any other requirements. Of course, it won't work with the area effect versions.

It seems like the problem is that getting sneak attack damage is going to cost warlock advancement, which also increases the damage. Technically after Warlock 11, sneak attack damage increases faster (every 2 levels instead of 3). But it probably won't happen every hit and you never get that far ahead.

6. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Oh! That makes sense.... so that being said... Arcane Trickster you can sneak attack with ranged touch spells? I need to play one of those my next go around haha.

7. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Yeah. I don't remember if I've tested the implementation, but that's how it's supposed to work. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that spells with multiple rays (like Scorching Ray) are only supposed to do sneak attacks on one of them. So, the first ray does (4+n)d6, and the others do 4d6.

You can also sneak attack with Enervation (assuming I didn't forget about that), but the sneak attack does negative energy damage, not extra negative levels. This is also how ability damage spells with a touch attack are supposed to work (like Poison).

8. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Thanks for the additional info!

Our Host!