ToEE Front-End X Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The native TFE-X 3.0.4. All the downloads freeze first time played and wont ctrl+alt+del out and I have to power off. If I activate, quit and restart they play fine. All my protos changes for Fruella go away if I change games and come back. I just re-do them and the Royo portrait and continue on. But, 5.5.0 and KotB play well once things get going. I guess everytime you activate 5.5.0 it loads the original protos, dlg and portraits. I can deal with it. I have everything saved in MyDocuments and can re-install quickly. I got a 500GB external drive for all the stuff i've downloaded and did the last 4 years. I have the history of ToEE since patch 2. Need anything?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's indeed correct, george. With the new module packaging format, each time you activate a module it gets rebuilt from the original .tfm package, not from a separate data and module folder (with all their subsequent edits) like in the old days.

This is an effective way to make sure people aren't screwing up their own installations and are playing the real mod. It's also why any future patching must be done via add-on packages and not simple .rar or .zip archive extractions.

3. wizgeorge

Yeah, I can see it. No problem. Just don't switch modules after protos/dlg/portrait changes. Not everyone has the custom portraits/dlg/protos files I have and use. I can deal with it.

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Using XP SP3. I installed the ToEE Play & Install discs on a virtual Daemon drive. Game installed off the virtual discs fine, updated to Patch 2. Since McAfee ate my no-cd .EXE (the whole reason for re-installing,) I kept the Patch 2 ToEE.EXE. Installed Co8 5.5 per instructions, started TFE-X. Vanilla ToEE set up fine, activated 5.5. TFE-X reported 5.5 activated ok. When I try to play 5.5 or vanilla, the TFE-X exits to desktop w/o error message. TFE-X.log shows no problems that I see - file attached. Could this be an issue with the virtual drive?

Attached Files:

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ erkper: Well, anything that depended on TFE-X was done and finished successfully. Therefore, the problem is somewhere in the game itself - either it doesn't like the virtual drive or maybe it gets blocked by something (e.g. antivirus). Not sure what to do about it, but it's definitely not something that I can change in TFE-X because it's something that happens after TOEE.EXE is started by the front-end. Consider trying to reinstall from the original CDs instead of the virtual images, and then try again.

- Agetian

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

OK, I know what's going on now. My computer doesn't play nice with the securerom in ToEE, that's why I have used the no-cd crack for 2 years. Since McAfee decided to eat the no-cd, and the original .exe doesn't work for me, I'm hosed until I can get McAfee's tech support to explain how to make the damn program stop blocking the no-cd.

7. wizgeorge

My bugdoctor friend, he's a genius, says McAfee and Norton are worthless. I've got Time-Warner roadrunner and it comes with the CASecurity for free. You might consider another anti-virus. I deleted McAfee right down to the registry(regedit). Those programs put all kinds of crap all over your computer and are about impossible to uninstall.

8. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

What securom? I had no idea that one existed in ToEE.

I thought with the new front end, the no-cd crack wasn't necessary. AFAIK, I haven't been using it and have no problems in that respect. Maybe it's the new 5.5.0 modpack.

I use AVG and run it manually and then restore whatever it has on ToEE (nothing since the new front end and 5.5.0). I still run it manually out of habit, now. Don't know if this is good or bad...if it's bad, I imagine someone will point that out.

9. Agetian

ToEE Front-End X does NOT circumvent the copy-protection in the game - it doesn't contain any no-cd or similar code, it never included it and it will never include it in the future. So, unless you use the no-cd, you still need to put the official game CD in the drive before starting ToEE - it doesn't matter whether you use the front-end or not.

- Agetian

10. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I guess I never did understand some of the basic stuff being talked about here. I've always run ToEE with the cd in the drive.

Edit: I am really, really embarrassed that I didn't know that no-cd meant exactly what it says...but I didn't. :blush:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  11. Agetian

UPDATE (12/10/08): Updated ToEE Front-End X to v2.2, added an explicit warning message about losing custom changes to game data when activating a module (both to the front-end itself and to the readme).

- Agetian

12. HIBBJ01

HIBBJ01 Member

I had originally posted this in another threat, but I'm thinking I should have posted here:

System details:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 - 64-bit
    Trend Micro Internet Security v16.6

Clean game install on brand new laptop:
    ToEE - US Version - Patch 2
    Co8 Modpack v5.0.0 - No Add-ons
    Co8 Modpack v5.5.0Beta - No Add-ons
    TFE-X v2.1

Ok, I have searched and searched and can't seem to find any posts related to this issue. Every time I exit the game, I get a "TOEE.EXE has stopped working" message from Vista. Shortcut to TFE-X is "Run As Administrator". I have also tried XP compatibility mode on the shortcut as well. I have also set TOEE.exe to "Run As Administrator" & XP Comp. mode. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I launch the game and when I go to Quit Game (don't even have to play, this will happen right from the first menu too), the "TOEE.EXE has stopped working" message comes up. :confused:

Additional info: I am using TFE-X to launch all games. This happens for all modules (Native, Co8 5.0 and Co8 5.5).

Here are crash details from the Problem Report that Vista captured (don't know if this is useful):
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: TOEE.EXE
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 00000000
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a783
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0003dbba
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 01a5
    Additional Information 2: 6bf304cd565651aa9cefdf2f75775fd0
    Additional Information 3: 7600
    Additional Information 4: db7755af7f95c3bbb545bc02d1c79c76

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 662163300

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. Agetian

It's a known problem. It appears to be entirely random and it's the original game bug, not a ToEE Front-End X problem. Thanks for reporting of course, but it's a known issue and it's not critical for your game operation - it only happens when you quit the game and it happens randomly. Some people get it almost all the time and some people almost never get it. It might depend on hardware or software, we're not sure about it, but ToEE is generally a very picky game, so... We can't do anything about it, you'll have to live with it. If you can't live with it, well... don't play ToEE, heh. ;)

- Agetian

14. HIBBJ01

HIBBJ01 Member

Ok, thanks for getting back so quickly. You are correct in that it doesn't appear to cause any gameplay issues. Just annoying.

Should TFE-X still be open when exiting a game? If it should, then this crash is preventing TFE-X from being displayed again when quitting. Not a big deal to re-launch. Was just curious.

Thanks!

15. Agetian

No, TFE-X shuts down when ToEE is launched - it's intended behavior.

- Agetian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!