The D&D table top, help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adarius, Aug 6, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. adarius

adarius One man army.

Ok well... I've played the D&D table top twice with a friend, who, unfortunately, moved away numerous years ago. I enjoyed playing the table top with him, as we both set out on an adventure with our dynamic duo of cleric(me) and rogue(him). It was fun because his dad was an old D&D player, and he was an amazing game runner (which I later found out was called a Dungeon Master, lol ^_^). I have a hardbound copy of the v3.5 Dungeon Master Guide, and I picked up a D&D: Adventure Game starter set somewhere, but it uses a premade dungeon paper map and uses these kinda cardboard feeling tokens for characters, npcs, and objects. It came with prefab characters and a token for each.

Anyways, I saw this picture in the picture thread: Here! and I remembered playing the table top with my friend using nothing but paper and pencil (his dad called it playing "real" D&D) I thought this was also very cool, because they included someone over the net to play, which is pretty cool. So, I was wondering, next time someone plays table top, would I be able to join in over the net? I barely remember anything of playing table top except that it was fun, but it would probably be quite a bit easier to relearn now that I'm older. I miss the fun. :biggergri (I do realize Spike posted that January 2006, but I've only been here a couple weeks.)

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I wonder how many people here actually get in to table-top (or PnP as it is sometimes called...). We don't play that often, but I'll see if I can't get you involved somehow. Usually, we play with a pretty tight circle. I'd love to get into a game with some Co8 people.

3. adarius

adarius One man army.

That's awesome. Nobody around my area plays D&D, except for this one other kid I know and he's....well....very...umm...odd... He creeps me out.. =\ But yea, I brushed off that copy of the DMG and read it again, interesting how things you missed last time you read something pop out at you the next time. I think I can remember most of the basics in the v3.5 DMG now. I'm asking for the player's handbook and the monster manual for christmas, then I can know everything. =) Just kidding, mostly to help me not look like a complete nub.

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

AAh, yes, nothing like table top rpg...more if you use figures instead of tokens... warhammer2.jpg

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

We used pens... and papers.... It was inaccurate when you draw it,
    nevertheless it was fun. :) Besides, how the hell do you expect me to get
    a figurine of every single creature available in D&D? ;)

6. Half Knight

Ha Ha :)

...imagine a horde of Orcs and goblins...say 50-60 miniatures!!! But actually there IS a figurine of most all of the creatures of D&D...the center figure is a Drow from a Greyhawk adventure! (on the other side of the hooked buckler it has the Lolth simbol). When i play with friends, we use figurines only for our characters or encounters with few creatures

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Model representation is an integral part of pnp d&d when played with miniatures that you don't own.

I once DM'ed a "final battle" scene for a group of 14th evil level PC's and thier followers and cohorts against a paladin lead army who was determined to eliminate the vile PC's. Using my vast collection of WARHAMMER 40,000 models we managed to pull it off, and it was an enjoyable session...

(despite the fact that the PC's won the battle - thereby plunging the dale lands of Faerun into a fearful dictatorship lead community, ruled by a greenskinned semi warewolf ranger, a red half dragon-centaur, an ill tempered lich-bitch, and a mad cleric)

...once you define which troops on the table are representing which creature type, in the game, imagination takes over, and afterall the models main role is to determine that unit's location and nothing more (though the correct model does add to the atmosphere).

8. Half Knight

...yep, sometimes, things get epic...i remember a battle of Mordheim between 8 of us...and the final battle of a campaign (also on Faerun) similar to wath you say (but here they where good...and don't won the battle)

9. maggit

Our party battled a giant purple wurm as the final boss, he
    was the "Will of Bhaal", as our DM called it. It swallowed my
    character a few times, but I somehow managed to get out
    (monks and their crazy jumping :)). We had a big battle,
    our 10th level PCs defended Kuldahar along with the help
    of some mages and druids, they tried to kill giants who would
    later smash smaller creatures falling down the hill they were
    coming from... oh, they also were on sleights... (sic!). Now, THAT
    was fun. ;) I agree that figurines give a lot of flavour to the game,
    but they're too expensive... contrary to pencils and blocks of
    paper. ;)

10. adarius

adarius One man army.

D&D miniatures are fun. I unfortunately use my as a display item right now, cause they aren't being used. I collected up what I have (I think I mighta missed 2 or 3 of em) and took a picture(crappy camera sorry). Here's what I've got =)
    [​IMG]
    Oh crap I didn't think about that....PLEASE ignore the keyboard D= (Temporary use until I can actually buy a new one...)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

12. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

I game with some friends in Houston, TX (usually about 4 or 5 times a year) and we use pencil, paper, And miniatures. We also use a vinyl grid with wet-erase markers, but only when we can't build the scene. He has lots of tiles to build dungeons with. Really gets you into the story when you can see your player in relation to bad-guys and other stuff.

I'd be interested in a game with Co8 members as well.

Books I have: DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide), PHB (Player's Handbook), Monster Manual, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, and Complete Divine.

All 3.5 ed. So if y'all ever have a rules question, I either know it or can find the answer.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I remember playing a module back in highschool - I forget what it was (something about a temple full of dervishes) but at one point we had a whole army trying to kill us. Since we only had a handful of miniatures, I pulled out my plastic 1/72 scale WW2 US Marines.

"From the halls of Tintibulus, to the cubes of Thuldanin..."

14. maggit

Talking about all those miniatures has got me thinking
    about buying some minis for our RPG sessions. Now,
    we've been looking for some cool minis for our characters,
    but the stock is quite... limited here in Poland. So we thought
    of buying minis from different battle games i.e. Warhammer,
    LotR and D&D minis. The question is, are those minis more
    or less the same size? Could someone help me on this matter?
    I'm particularly interested in Warhammer Fantasy Battle, D&D
    Chainmail (the cheepest ones on the market, not looking bad
    either) and Lord of the Rings.

15. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

All of them that I've seen in the gaming stores have been the same size, Maggit.

Our Host!