Status Report

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Sep 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've added a little something that I have really wanted to get going for a long time :) As most of you will know (or will have figured out), we can't mod things to show in the dice-rolls box on the right: unless they neaturally occur there (such as a saving throw) we can't put them in, so all the new skill checks I added, for Climb and Handle Animal etc, are all done 'in the dark' as it were. Very frustrating.

Well, I decided to add them manually, as it were, by showing the rolls as floatlines when they occur. I have been putting off working out the exact string values to make it happen (especially since I didn't think that could be done) but yesterday I had a brain-wave of a fairly painless way to do it. So now whenever you Climb, Use Rope (more uses for that coming), Handle Animal or do a Wild Empathy check, there will be two quick floatlines showing the value tested and the roll.

AND, if you find that intrusive or game-breaking, you can switch it off :)

2. Shiningted

Below we have a pic of the dice-rolling floatlines in action: as I said, you can always switch them off with a quick word in the gypsy's ear.

Now: I guess I should announce a release date for this damn thing. Well, nothing forces my hand like an overseas trip - I think the last 3 times I headed overseas (including for my wedding) involved me working my butt off to get releases out first. My trip overseas for Christmas next week is no exception, so, the release of this patch (the final definitive version of the Demo, for those who have been waiting so long you are no longer sure what you are waiting for ;)) WILL occur before I fly out next Wednesday (a week from the time of this post). Hopefully on Monday, since ModDB can take a couple days to get going.

Attached Files:

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Dice roll float lines are very kewl Ted! Good thinking.

Can't wait to get this baby tested out- but since I was using ToEEFE until 2 days ago, then installed ToEE-X I have to start a new group and run it up first.

Enjoy your vacation overseas!

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Well, what can i say...

WOOW!

...that's amazing, Ted! :clap:

Btw, i think that people could wait a few weeks more...take your time, and enjoy your holydays!
    After all, we had a lot of releases 2008, let's start 2009 with another one :)

Plus, it would give me a bit more of time to test a few things more i've found about models ;)

5. Shiningted

Salamat Datang from Malaysia!

Unfortunately, that of course means I didn't get the mod out :( I actually did have it done by Monday, then spent another day getting it packed properly as a native TFE-X module, and testing that (found a bug at the starting caravan. Go figure). However, when it came time to post it on ModDB, I got the same sort of issues I got last time - it only uploaded halfway then reported an error and stopped (and that 'halfway' took hours, I might add). I was trying right up until my ride came to take me to the airport, but no deal. So it looks like it will have to wait til I get back on the 28th or so. Apologies to everyone, especially the many folks who contributed to this recent update.

6. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

My windows crapped out on me ... working on getting it back up... luckily the only thing i keep on that drive is windows..... so I did not lose any of the new map work.

7. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

Don't worry too much Ted.... we've been waiting for long enough that a few more days won't make a difference =]

I'm looking forward to playing a stable non-CTDing version :)

Congrats to all the KotB team :)

8. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Well, I went out last night and bought a real pc.
    Gateway dual core with 4 gig... so now I can do some real graphics:pelvicthr, i have everythihg burned to CD's so lost nothing.
    I just cant set it up until I do a few chores

9. mistrornge

mistrornge Member

Anything further on the final version? Its been a bit.

10. Shiningted

Well, we are filling the Caves with monsters atm, and adding some of the higher level quests. Should be a more official update when the next milestone is reached, hopefully this week :)

11. Messiah

Messiah Member

Do you guys have an idea when the complete version of KotB will be released?

12. sdOK

sdOK Member

I suppose when it is done :p

I will say one thing for sure. It will be out before Duke Nukem Forever ;)

13. Shiningted

Not changing the engine annually does cut down on development time, yah ;)
    I will make an official pronouncement in a couple days, but I can say one thing:

I ABSOLUTELY
    POSITIVELY
    GUARANTEE

it will be done before the end of the year. :)

(God willing I don't get hit by a bus etc ;))

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Of course, you know the logical, ironic outcome to THIS, right?

15. Shiningted

I score a lucrative job as a bus-driver and give up modding? :scratchhe

Our Host!