Spiked chain rogue or dual wielding rogue?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by mongerman, Oct 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. mongerman

mongerman Member

Hi guys. On my next run through TOEE, I moving away from powergaming. Thats right, no more awesome stats from countless rerolls. Just using the point buy system, and assuming 10 is an average stat for most people. So no 18's in stats

Considering these stats (based closely on my RL stats)

14 str
    16 dex
    10 con
    14 int
    8 wis
    8 chr

Which would be better throughout the game

rogue3/fighter7, with fighter levels after lvl 10 for feats

Weapon finesse, proficiency spiked chain, combat reflexes, cleave, and whirlwind

or

rogue9/fighter1

Weapon finesse, weapon focus rapier, TWF, ITWF, imp critical

I like the former since its more useful against a wider variety of enemies, and with a reach weapon he can hide behind a tank. Rogue skills can be kept pretty high as well. Very feat extensive though, and wont get WW attack till late game

The latter is weak against undead, oozes etc, and places himself in a more vulnerable position, but when all 4 attacks hit with sneak attack, the dmg is insane.

TIA for all suggestions

2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I am by no means an expert, but I'd raise the rogue
    to L4 to avoid big hits from trapped chests. Others with
    more experience might feel differently.

Where did you find proficiency spiked chain? I wanted
    to give that to my Monk.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think Spiked Chain is an Exotic Weapon Feat. You'll have to wait until your Monk has +1 on Base Attack.

4. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

How do you find that out?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    GA is partially correct. To get any Exotic Weapon Proficiency you need a Base Attack of +1. You also need a Strength of 13
    TRC

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I didn't know Spiked Chain's strength requirements. I just knew Exotic Weapon proficiencies needed the +1 base. Otherwise, I would have Ex Wpn proficiencies on many of my starting characters so they would start the shop map with that weapon, and not have to wait 'til later in the game.

Say a 1/2 orc Sorceror starting with Orc Double Axe (just in case). :transform

7. grinner666

grinner666 Member

I generally prefer TWF for my rogues; the extra attack(s) generally mean extra sneak attack damage. If you build up those rogue levels beyond 3rd it can mean LOTS of extra sneak attack damage. :D

Also, if you're going with Weapon Finesse I'd go with a STR 10 and put those extra four points elsewhere ... STR doesn't really affect the damage a rogue can do all that much.

8. mongerman

mongerman Member

Wow I see my thread is kinda sidetracked...but no matter. I've been playing around, and I really like my current rogue, a fighter7/rogue3. I let my cleric be the face man, so I just keep tumble, search, disable device and open locks maxed on him. Equal str and dex, so I use a glaive instead. With glitterdust to blind enemies, he wades into the fray and unleashes a devastating WW attack.

I liked this better then my TWF rogue because

1. less micromanagement
    2. safer. My TWF would flank the enemy, only to have the enemy switch targets and hit him instead of my tank. No chance of that with a reach weapon

Our Host!