Single Character play?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by t0lkien, Oct 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. t0lkien

t0lkien Member

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find anything via Search.

Is it possible to take a single character through the entire game (I've never liked parties), and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on a build? I have ordered the game online and it hasn't arrived yet, so can't test these things for myself.

2. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Yeah, it's entirely possible, although especially the beginning will be hard. I've played the game through with just a single character twice, but a couple of more times with two characters.

A single character should be either a single class combat-spellcaster such as Druid or Cleric, or their more combat-oriented brethren Ranger or Paladin, but generally multiclassed characters fare better. Other classes such as Monk or Rogue might do (and I'm not saying you can't beat the game with any class), but prepare for a rough ride.

I recommend getting at least a few levels of Rogue to get the thieving skills plus Sneak Attack, which is always nice. Then add some fighting ability and BAB with primary melee classes such as Fighter, which also helps by netting you some much-needed combat feats.

However, you probably need at least a bit of crowd-control, so I recommend a spellcasting class, too. Arcane casters limit your armor use, but they also have the spell Mage Armor, which helps a lot. They also carry the biggest offensive spells in the whole repertoire. Then again, divine spellcasters can buff your abilities without sacrificing armor, and with a single character you will be getting high spell levels quite quickly anyways to get spells such as Flame Strike and Ice Storm. The Druid and eventually Ranger both have Entangle, which is a real life saver in low-level fights against mobs. The Druid also has spontaneous casting for summoning help.

If you decide to play with two characters, I highly recommend having a Fighter/Cleric and a Rogue/Wizard. They will kick so much @$$ that you'd never think there's only two of them as they level up very quickly to immense power levels.

As pure character builds go, I've played the game through at least with a Cleric/Fighter/Rogue and a Wizard/Fighter/Rogue, but you can easily replace the Cleric with a Druid, the Fighter with a Barbarian (mind the feats, though) or the Wizard with a Sorcerer. Actually, since the arcane spellcasting is only needed for the few big booms or summoning, a Sorcerer might be better than a Wizard. I've always included a bit of Rogue, though, if only for the treasure chests and traps, skill points or Sneak Attack.

Also, a lot of players like to play with a lot of summoned creatures around, in which case it becomes easier to use the Rogue's Sneak Attack and the summoned friends also act as a much needed meat shield. Bear this in mind in spell selection.

3. t0lkien

t0lkien Member

Awesome reply. Thank you :)

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I regularly play with only 2 characters, a straight fighter and a straight wizard. They are death to anything they see at higher levels.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

No matter how high a level a solo character is, when the finger of death wins the roll ... it's game over.

I like to play with two and sometimes three characters myself.

You gotta have someone around to carry that darn foolish fighter, (that always runs head first to his death) back to the church for a rez. ;)

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

If you want to solo a wiz, just make a couple of fighters to get him to 2nd or 3rd level or take Elmo with you until you can case web, then pepper with crossbow bolts until you get fireball.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Nah!, Let your sole Wizzer wade in with his dagger of doom and take on Lareth and Crew all by himself. :)

8. t0lkien

t0lkien Member

There's a vid on YouTube of someone soloing the end boss with a 2 Thief/18 Wiz character, so I'm going to try that.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I saw that as well and all I can say it, go for it. :) I usually like parties of 3, usually a mixed class, a healer, and then a arcane. But I am thinking I may take 3 fighters/rogues and rely on potions and scrolls for healing. Have to see how workable that may be.

10. rossik

rossik Member

do you loose any stat when you get ressurect?

11. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

I've never done a single character game myself. Most of the time 2 or 3 characters. But rogue or a portion of it is indeed needed. I also like the pure fighter type, because with the higher level cap you can really make him a tank that just takes anyone down.

And off course the prince thrommel reward is nice if you go solo...

12. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The ToEE Front-End X will only allow you to set the ratio of PCs/NPCs that you can have in your party to 3/5 in the Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x NC. Does this mean that you have to start a new game with at least 3 PCs? If so, can you just let 1 or more of the PCs die deliberately, and then permanently remove them from your party (say by clicking on the guestbook in an inn)?

In the ToEE Front-End X for the Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.1 NC, you can set the ratio of PCs/NPCs that you can have in your party to 1/7.

I am led to believe that the ratio was changed to 3/5 for the ToEE Front-End X for the Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x NC for game stability reasons. Does anybody know whether this is indeed the case?

Has anybody who has played the game with 1 or 2 PCs encountered any stability problems with the game (as compared to playing the game with 3 or more PCs)?

13. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

I don't know how it's implemented in ToEE exactly, but in the 3rd edition (and 3.5), you should loose a level.

Regards,
    Storm

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I have started a game with two characters and played with no problem. You can also start a game with just one. The number is the MAX number of characters, not the minimum. I think your right that it was a stability issue that the numbers were changed so that you could have no more than 5 npc's in your party, though there may be a fix to change it back to 1/7 ratio.

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

You do not loose any stat, but you do loose xp. Not sure of the exact cost, but I think it puts you back at the half way point of the previous level. Because of the CR xp rewards, you can get back up the rest of the group though.

Our Host!