Rookie Questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Doyle, Apr 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Doyle

Doyle Member

I had played D&D back in the day, but it was when I was about 12-13 and looking back, I'm not sure I really ever grasped everything that was going on. Anyway, I hope this is an OK place to post such begginer questions, but if it's not let me know. A couple of questions:

1>When you come across magic items in this game, how do you go about figuring out what they do/are? I've gotten a bunch of "Magic Potions" and one "Magic Cloak" but can't seem to figure out how to get them identified.

2>How do you go about memorizing spells from scrolls? I've used "Read Magic" to cast the spells, but I thought that would let me memorize them without having to use the scrolls each and every time. Also, is there a certain amount of uses for scrolls, or do they last forever?

Thanks. Hope these don't annoy anyone!

Doyle

2. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

Hi Doyle,

1 - You must identify them, either with one of your spellcasters who have the "identify" spell (lev.3), either at any merchant in Hommlet or Nulb.

2- Only Wizards can memorize spells and only the ones from their class I think.

3. Doyle

Doyle Member

Thanks for the help!

I tried getting them identified in Hommelet at the merchant's...but I couldn't. Is there anything special you need to do? Thanks.

Doyle

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Depending on your patches, I think, you can use the 0-level wizard/sorcerer/cleric spell "read magic" to identify scrolls AND potions. Wizards can memorize wizard spells only, and they have to succeed on a spellcraft check (you'll have to invest skill point in this skill to even make the attempt). If you fail, you have to wait until you add another point to spellcraft (which can only be done by levelling up) before you can attempt to learn the spell again. You do this by putting the scroll in the wizard's inventory and clicking "copy scroll" under the humanoid figure in the radial menu.

Spells cast from scrolls use up the scroll. But you can have more than one scroll, in which case casting it will use up only one of the scrolls (check the number in the corner). Barring using the "use magic" skill (which is very hard), only characters with a level in the class of the spell being cast will be able to use the scroll. Basically, clerics can't use scrolls of wizard spells, and vice versa.

To get items identified at the shops, just click on the identify button and then click on the item you want identified. It'll cost 100gp (and will even if you cast the identify spell yourself), so maybe that's why it wasn't working for you. Thus, using read magic to identify potions will save you money. At level 5, you can take craft wand as a feat with your wizard and make wands of identify, which will greatly reduce identification costs. Also, you can often tell what an item does without identifying it (armor, weapons, etc. will have bonuses that show up somewhere). Not identifying them will not cause them to be ineffective. They will still work. Potions too. The only exception to this is really scrolls, which have to be read and cast by somebody who knows what they're doing. Be careful, though, as some "magic" potions are really poison, though very few.

5. Doyle

Doyle Member

Thanks

That explains so much.

1 More question:

>Magic Cloaks: I assumed that simply wearing a magic cloak produced the magical effect of the cloak...but just to make sure...do you have to press "Use Item" in order for it to work?

6. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

????

Is this person Doyle for real ? Or is this an April Fool's joke ?

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Unidentifided items, magic rings, potions, clocks and boots, gloves still work unidentifided, you just don't know what they're going to do. I've had some fun using potions that I didn't know what it was when I used it.

Our Host!