Release WorldEd to the fans

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firestrand, Mar 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

Has anyone else caught the thread at Atari forums.
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6316273

I hadn't notice the file mentioned before, I wonder if it was part of patch 3?

In any case lets start bugging Atari to release the WorldEd!

Even unsupported, I am sure we would all like to see what possibilities the WorldEd would bring.

-Firestrand

2. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

WorldEd was their editing software for Arcanum. TOEE undoubtedly used a heavily modified (or hacked, in the proper sense of the word, most likely) version of the same tool. It's a Troika thing, not an Atari thing. If I'm not mistaken, they MAY have released the tool (or some of its parts) for Arcanum modding in the past.

The tools they used weren't polished, so they might not want to release. You should try the same channels as were used to try the license the engine, actually.

-- dulcaoin

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Assuming "A lot is possable through scripting" as Livonya's stated somewhere else on these boards, I'm wondering how possable is Importing other 2d maps from for example the Baldurs Gate series, sticking new icons for doors on it, npc's, chests, monsters and the like? Uncapping the level limitation is great, but why not throw some extra maps into the game, tougher monsters, maybe even import some more higher CR monsters from NWN, and make it a feasable option to actually achieve level 20, as it stands your still limited as to the amount of XP you can actually gain, because once you reach level 11, CR 1 encounters do nothing for your XP, and CR 2 isn't much better!

4. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

I suspect that Atari supports ToEE going forward. So they would have the source. I could be wrong, but that is what I would do as a publisher.

On another note ToEE is using a modified Arkanum engine, so the WorldEd built for ToEE should do some of the things we have been unable to do with graphics etc.

-Firestrand

5. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Oh, MAN!

Now I'm on your side, Firestrand. FORGET licensing the engine, just get an under-the-table version of ObjEdit and WorldEd, and I'd be a happy camper.

Look up this link, clean up your mess, and cry at what "could be..."

NOTICE how many things in screen shots didn't change an IOTA in TOEE... (see the container screen shot, and the difficulty and key_id, for instance...)

http://www.rpgplanet.com/arcanum/worldeditor/worlded1.shtml

<WHINE!>

-- dulcaoin

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  6. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, that's right. ToEE seems to used a heavily modified version of the same toolset used for Arcanum. That's something I noticed some time ago (same TAB, MES, MOB files...) - I even tried using vanilla Worlded for Arcanum to work with ToEE (at least partly) but to no avail (as I said, it's probably heavily changed).

I agree that releasing ToEE Worlded for the community would be a great thing - a lot of people would love to mod ToEE, even though it's hard!

Look at the Infinity Engine community: basically, it's the same stuff (hard to mod because all the maps are 2d and you have to draw the maps by hand), but a lot of people still mod the game, and very very successfully! We could do the same thing!

- Agetian

Our Host!