Played all night to finish

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by t0lkien, Oct 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. t0lkien

t0lkien Member

It's 11am, and I played all night to drop the end boss. Thanks to the Co8 team for all the work and love put into this game to make it playable. It has been a really enjoyable play through, and I loved the combat and artwork. As a developer myself, I can tell it was a labour of love. Troika did a great job overall, and Tim Cain is now one of my favourite designers. Thanks to to Gary Gygax for the original epic P&P module. What seemed a bit dull on graph paper with dice came alive as a CRPG. This remains the ultimate dungeon crawl, and the way you could play each Temple faction off against the others was a lovely piece of work.

It's probably too easy to get great gear with the crafting system. However, as I soloed the entire game with a Cleric, I was pretty happy I could make a suitable weapon (+3 Glaive with Flaming and Flaming shock - pure maximum range death in a stick). There was really nothing available that was as suitable to my build. Speaking of Cleric, that class is way OP. I'm glad, and it was a blast to play, but I really didn't need any support from NPCs or other PCs at all. Shift-click healing, and Great Cleave combined with Attack of Opportunity may be utterly unrealistic, but it's awesome fun.

Oh, and what can be said about that Ring of Invisibility. Awesome bit of kit. If elemental/magical beings could be flagged to see through it as they should (especially in the Nodes), and others capable of attacking blindly if they hear someone not moving quietly (or opening doors etc.) it would be perfect.

The quest system and narrative generally could use a bit more plot direction, and the system is in need of a quest item type (I sold everything I couldn't use, and had to console a Scroll of the Wind Watchimacallit in order to finish the game). But that's kind of old school too and I like it, even if I had no idea what to do at times except to wantonly slaughter everything that moved.

This game has taken me back to my RPG roots after years playing MMOs, and I'm seriously considering helping out with some modding. Thanks again for keeping this alive, it is much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
Our Host!