Paladins

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jul 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Yeah, RUFN man is spot on. Replace innocents with thieves and criminals then play it through with a dark paladin.

The analogy with samurai and bushido is great.

:bebi:

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the paladin would do what he could without the help from the evil cleric in a world of black and white (and one solid shade of middle grey). if you take the situation from the first post where it doesn't sound like a life or death situation then he would fall (if he didn't just leave the party - cos thats a pretty big thing) that is if the hextorian priest even let him into his temple.

and the analogy with samurai and bushido is stupid - at least from a real life perspective. If real life was dnd there would've been almost exclusively ex-samurai. the idea of bushido was adheared to in WWII to give moral to the japanese troops but seldom before that. it was something to aspire to, that you'd try to live up to but if you got carryed away looting that last village, well no biggie.

btw I just re-read that post and the only way bits not stupid is this line "but another highly fictionalized character" it goes with the romantic ideas of cowboys and pirates.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

This is very true; but, you could fill in the blank with any number of "fantastic" occupations; all we have to base it on is our romantic understanding of these things, since no one here is one...as far as I know. There may be a cowboy or two, but in the D&D crowd, I rather doubt it. :wyatt: Instead of applying real life logic (or our concept of these things), I think we're better off trying to figure how the rules of the game apply.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah well that does go with the first part of my post, saying that the paladin wouldn't have a part of the blessing from the evil cleric. the other part of that I was trying to get at was would the evil cleric fall from blessing the paladin

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Crikey I didn't think of that... if we are going to have fallen clerics as well as paladins, its a good question. But I think the evil cleric would get a nod from Hextor for 'corrupting' a Paladin, whether the latter fell or not.

Anyway, people seem to be in agreement that the Paladin should go straight to 'fallen', so thats settled. Don't complain to me later :)

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

thats the way i see it Ted, for your original post, the paladin goes down no matter what. i agree with you that i think the priest would get kudos for getting the paladin there in the first place rather get in trouble for it.

as to kalshanes situation. well it would be upto the paladin to decide what is worst accepting the healing or letting the people die. then he could explain his reasoning for which ever choice afterward to the gods he serves. if i was DMing it he would be striped of powers for either choice and given a quest to redeem himself and regain his former rank as paladin.

7. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Hrm? Bushido was not used before WWII?? Why do people make assumptions about the history of a country they know nothing about?

I know you don't care. But bushido was used widely. And it had absolutely nothing to do with fighting. Samurai were bureaucrats.

More On Topic Portion Of This Post
    =======================

Why do you ask Ted? Do you have a particular situation in mind for KotB? You said there was a `good' reason :).

8. Shiningted

Of course, and of course! In KotB I fully intend to implement the whole 'karma' thing where paladins and clerics (and druids) can fall if they do too many 'venial sins', so to speak - go against their diety in little ways too often (a cleric of Heironeous continuing to adventure with a rogue who steals everything that isn't nailed down comes to mind, or more unlikelily a cleric of Nerull who never kills his foes, just uses non-lethal damage! Druids killing excessive numbers of our four-legged friends also comes to mind).

But there are still certain acts that should bring an instant fall, just sounding people out for their feelings on a possible one.

9. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

You might want to reconsider your position Spike, because I'm about to agree with you.
    [size=+3] I agree with Spike, death before dishonor[/size]

10. Shiningted

I also agree with Spike: A paladin is responsible for his own actions, not other peoples (least of all the evil sods he is fighting against). He or she would oppose the evil, not try to minimise it by cooperating with it.

Damn, now i am encouraging these debates :sadblinky

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Don't play with it, Gomer Pyle, shoot it!

IMO - Refnredde and Ted [and Spike, too] are right.

12. Lord_Spike

The Evil Cleric would indeed get a bump up for screwing over the paladin. It's like the old Stones tune...the "evil one" was around when the hero had his moment of doubt. Facilitated by the priest in this case.

Whoo...Whoo...

13. Lord_Spike

Agree...disagree...whatever. Just clean up your act, please.

14. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Of course then Ted, there is the question under your question. Would a Paladin knowingly set foot in a Hextor temple with intentions other than destroying it? And if they did so, would they fall?

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Why does it seem like people want to side with whatever decision is most-likely to screw over the paladin? I recall in the Drinking Contest threads, people were arguing the paladin should fall because he is responsible for the actions of others. Now he should fall because he isn't.

Believe me, I fully appreciate that being a paladin is an incredibly difficult path, but the consensus around here seems to be so strict that every paladin ever played will be fallen or dead within short order.

Our Host!