Number of PCs in party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Wargamer777, Jan 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Wargamer777

Wargamer777 Member

If i decide to implement 6 or 7 starting PC's with the mod, is there anything that I need to look out for in errors in the game? I know I'll have less NPC slots, but should I really add another PC or not?

Will it affect my outcome too much?

2. OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer Lurking Sith

(Been a while since I posted.)

I had the game crash once when I tried to reform my party after I had added six PCs, so you may want to watch for that...

3. wazsa

wazsa Member

I started a game with 8 players and only had one problem

Going up levels is a lot harder so you really need to know how to play lower level characters well

I think you might also run into problems later in the game with the merchants and taking them back to Verbobonc, as they won't be able to join your party.

I did find playing with 8 players a lot of fun as it made the game a lot harder because of the leveling

Wazsa

4. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

I always use 6 pc's in my games. 2 fighters, a rogue, cleric, druid, and a wizard. That still leaves slots open when you need them the most. Never had any problems with 6 pcs effecting the game, except for leveling up. Good luck to ya. :cool2:

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I believe this is no longer a problem, since Verbebonc becomes available to travel to from the world map. I could be wrong, though.

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

His comments had to do with the numbers in the party, not the method of travel. The number of party members affects whether or not vital NPC's get to accompany the group, which causes the problem. 8 is the max. If you start with 8, then NO NPC's can join the group, and Bango...trouble ensues when an NPC has to join to further the story line. This was changed via modding long ago because many folks wanted to have more than the 5 PC's the game allowed you to begin with. He learned this the hard way, and was making an observation. If you had read his post carefully, you would have realised this, and could have avoided the little disclaimer at the end of yours....which seems to appear an awful lot. If you don't know the answer to something, then you shouldn't post about it like you're some kind of authority. Leave it to the ones who really know, and wind up having to post about it anyways to fix your little slip-ups.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Three problems. You can't recruit Elmo for the moathouse, Burne for the temple and no resuce of merchants/female prisoners. No rescue of Prince Thrommel. Playing with 1 npc slot open is a good thing.

8. Wargamer777

Wargamer777 Member

Ok cool.. I'm playing with 6 PC's... so everything should be ok, right?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

WizGeorge - what about ms Fruella? She used to basically push her way into the party, room or no, and crashed games played with less than the requisite number of open slots.

The problem, Wargamer, is that sometimes the game checks whether you can let an NPC in by existing party size, and sometimes by empty slots. If you have 7 or 8 PCs in your party, then it is quite possible at some point you will encounter an NPC who will want to join, and the game will check, not your party size, but how many NPCs you have in there, find zero or one, and think "well, there is still a couple of vacant NPC slots, lets let them join". If there is no room (eg 7 PCs and 1 NPC) the game will crash.

If you are using 6 or 7 as u said in the first post and keep one slot open for quest related joining like Thrommel or Paida, you should be fine, yes, and can play quite happily. Just keep your wits about you when people offer to join: the inbuilt safe-guards will not work once you change the numbers.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Another one is Wonnilon. If you don't have the gnome ring and the dialouge doesn't go right. he's there, and worthless. But, at least he leaves when asked. The xp for those encounters are minimal anyway. The last game I did, i had 7, 4 and 4 withn 4 npc, and Thrommel found his own way out. Never did get the reward encounter either.
    I don't ever remember Fruella crashing into the party. A male with okay charisma can go thru the bride mini-quest and get her in the game. I don't know of anyway she can force it. Just end the dialogue and leave. Hell, most of the stuff I got was from the GameBanshee walk-thru's.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I play with 6 PCs any more and I can't get the NPCs in that I need to paly certain parts of the game.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

cause errors? Fruella (see Ted's post)
    Will it affect my outcome too much? not really

should be okay to start with 5, 6, or 7 PC characters

13. wazsa

wazsa Member

Re: Number of PCs in party Spoilers (maybe)

I have now been playing the game the last week as a ONE Person party

Started as a Wizard thinking I wouldn't get too far............

By the time you do all the quests around Hommlet you're up levels very quickly so I didn't even need Elmo for th moathouse. Was getting very cocky by then when my little Wizard took out EVERYTHING there by himself.

SPOILERS (and maybe cheating)

My current games I'm playing one as a Rogue and one as a Barbarian

Some things that come in useful for NPCs

Spugnoir the Wizard in the Welcome wench is useful if you have him join the party and have him use Read Magic on Scrolls and potions and then kick him out again, no experience points sharing

I also have him call a familiar of a Raven, gave it to my Character to increase their Appraise Skills and againe kicked him out. Give it awhile and you can actually get him to call another familiar so you can just keep doing it, made things really cheap having THREE ravens as they points stacked on the skills.

The only NPC I have had "problems" with is Paida, after rescuing her you take her back to Hommlet and either talking to Valden or asking her to leave the party has the same affect, you complete the quest to return her home. Problem is that either way SHE shares the experience rewards.

Wazsa

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Number of PCs in party Spoilers (maybe)

Right on both; but hey - you warned for the first, and the second is all about you enjoying your game, so...enjoy it.

You're gonna need a Cure Disease if you recruited her for too long...she was sharing a whole lot more than experience points in Hedrack's bed...

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I should imagine by that point in a soloing game you must be level 50, but admitedly thats one of the higest CR quests, and losing half of it must be a pain.

Our Host!