Making mods, just some questions

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by nyarlathotep, Mar 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

So I found out there's a mod called Keep of the borderlands, and apperently -from the screenshots- they found out how to make new environments.

Now, what I wanted to know is:

1: Did atari gave free some of the neccesary sourcecode for implying new graphic things?

2: Did the mod'ers used a graphic world-building editor or was it done with pure scripting?

3: Will it be possible that more original d&d campaigns will be released (like for example undermountain)

I'm sorry if it's not put in the right section, but I wouldn't know where else to put it.

Thanks in advance

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The KotB mod has been built the hard way, Atari have not provided us with any tools, in fact the only ToEE specific tools we have were created by our members, ToEEWB is a player created tool that can take care of a vast number of modding tasks.

1. New maps need to be drawn from scratch, sectored (to define walkable areas).
    2. Key game files (description.mes, protos.tab, long_descriptions.mes and lots of others) need to be modified extensively.
    3. New monster models and animations cannot be added, we can however re-skin existingmodels to make an existing model look like something else.
    4. Dialogues would need re-writing from scratch for the most part.
    And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It is possible to build new modules, but it is an extreemly long process to build a new module, KotB is a relatively short module but has been a work in progress for about 2 and a half years, and is still not finished yet.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, then I think I will skip out of trying to mod for ToEE, since I'm a bad scripter :writersbl

thanks for the response

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Now don't say that... many of us are bad scriptors, however there is enough script written that changing basic code is not that difficult... also you might be good at writing text, or graphic arts, or any number of things that is necessary... it might seem dauntingat first, but the basics are really not that difficult....:rock:

Our Host!