Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Interesting, so the spell description in the game is wrong, or misleading at best, for obscuring mist and fog cloud.

I just looked in the 3.5 players hand book, and it does say 20-foot radius for obscuring mist, and so we need a much larger cloud effect graphic in the game. I see that fog cloud is basically the same spell, but starts at 100-foot + 10' per level. I've not cast that spell yet, so maybe this one also needs a similarly larger cloud graphic?

The spell description in the manual says you can only see within 5 feet of your self (with a 20% chance of missing), and beyond that you can't see and that it is 50% chance of missing.

So if you have the shaman cast this spell, then all the archers will have 50% chance of missing. Basically shooting blind. Along with the shaman trying to target us for his spells, too, since it clearly states that you loose sight of the targets. So the shaman should not be able to cast his sound burst or hold on us at all during the spell, unless he is within 5 feet of the target.

And I guess the same goes for us, we would have 50% chance of missing firing into the cloud, and cannot target spells since we can't see the target.

upload_2017-1-16_17-21-18.png

Attached Files:

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

True, the game doesn't apply those restrictions for obscured npc's ranged attacks our of the mist, but firing projectiles and melee attacks at obscured enemies does give the miss chance as advertised.

Perhaps the mist spell needs a rework as well to something like the blink spell that does affect attacking while affected by the spell?

Edit: The Blind Fighting feat should apply to fighting in the mist, but Blink disallows it as the blinking character is ethereal rather than not visable.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

In the original IWD the yeti skins were depreciated in value as you sold more of them, at first worth a lot, sell a few and worth a little less, sell a lot and they almost become not worth picking up.

4. FDR4PREZ

So basically everyone (allies and enemies) should have 50% chance of missing on ranged attacks, and for melee attacks it will be 20% miss, and there may not be way to prevent targeted spells in the game. sounds like the question at hand?

I just looked at the Blink spell description, it is close to what you need. It does say that blind-fighting is not possible against a blinking target, but I'd imagine in the mist it should be. That is one feat I've not taken before.

5. Allyx

@FDR4PREZ that is correct, @Sitra Achara may be required to look at the hard coding of the spells effect if another workaroind isn't possible.

@sirchet I can't code that quirk of the IE engine games in ToEE unfortunately.

6. FDR4PREZ

Yes, that is true, but not only with the Yeti pelts. It is true for all items that you sell.

For meta-gaming, you make one person carry all the Yeti pelts. Move all his items to another character, and this person carries nothing but pelts. Then you can sell them all in one shot for max value. In the original IWD you can select multiple item slots when selling, so you can select them all and sell them in one transaction for maximum benefit. Obviously the next transaction would be suitably lower due to you flooding the market, but at that point you are done with that map and the number of pelts remaining aren't worth carrying unless you really need some cash.

I don't think this will be possible in ToEE. At least I don't recall be able to select many inventory items and sell them in one transaction.

So instead of depreciating the value like IWD does, maybe there could be a not so max (or a lower average) value to be calculated.

7. Allyx

Currently the value is set to the default value in IWD - 250gp and adjusted by the party's highest appraise score as normal.

8. FDR4PREZ

Everyone within the AoE will need this applied, and only combatants that are outside the AoE, but firing into the cloud/mist need it applied when they target someone inside.

If the two combatants are both outside, then there is no penalty if they are fighting each other.

sounds complicated to code.

9. Allyx

Complicated perhaps, but not impossible. I think we could in theory apply Blink at the start of the affected characters turn and remove it at the end of the characters turn (assuming they don't also have blink cast upon them).

Did you check the dice rolls for the
    concealed Orc Archers to make sure they aren't also missing attacks due to the concealment check?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. FDR4PREZ

I've not looked at the dice rolls.

I've not attempted to check to see if the spell was actually functioning.

I've only noticed the seemingly discrepancy between the in-game description of 5 feet AoE versus what I was seeing during play with characters that are concealed that are far away of the caster.

seeing that the spell is quite powerful (assuming it is working), then I think I will start using it myself.

Might also need to confirm that they are not stacking with each other, too.

11. Allyx

For a first level spell it is a very useful protection spell for a small group of allies that aren't charging out of its small AoE. In practical terms, without moving the other archers closer to the shaman only 2 other Orcs gain the benefit of the spell, the shaman himself only benefits from it for one or two rounds before he is out of the AoE.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey Al,

My hard drive on my main PC has had it so I am a bit hamstrung as to what I can do. I still have my modding PC but it is not all that good with the internet and it runs WorldEd very slowly for things like sectoring large maps. But I can still do basic changing dlg/py/protos.tab modding.

Vis-a-vis this spell business: so it's been buggy for 13 years and no-one noticed? That's not a reason to hold up a release. Use Fog Cloud (which Sitra already got working with a .dll hack) and leave it at that. I'll run some tests on Obscuring Mist and report what's what.

EDIT: So they are the same spell except the higher level one (Fog Cloud) has a longer duration and longer range? In theory, should be an easy fix then. In theory.

13. FDR4PREZ

Yes, from rereading the spell description, they are the same spell except for the duration and range.

So I'd imagine that the Fog Cloud graphic can be moved to the Obscuring Mist spell

Also it seems that Obscuring Mist is only cast on yourself (and it sticks to your location), but the description says that it has a 20-foot range. Can that be fixed, too, so that Obscuring Mist has its 20-foot casting range?

Another test that I did was cast them both when not in combat and it seems that Obscuring Mist is behaving differently than Fog Cloud in this regard, too.

For Obscuring Mist, when my druid casts the spell then my party enters combat mode immediately. when my druid ends his turn from casting the spell, then combat ends and the spell effect ends. so why are they entering combat mode, and why is there no duration after combat?

For Fod Cloud, my druid casts it, and the party does not enter into combat mode at all. The cloud is created, and my people can run in it to get concealed, and run out of the cloud and they are no longer concealed.

Another test: when I cast Obscuring Mist in town, the Easthaven people don't mind at all. I cast the spell, only my party goes into combat mode, the people don't care that they are concealed. Then when the druid's turn is over, the spell ends and everyone is happy.

When I cast Fog Cloud, now everyone gets upset and wants to fight me.

I think the discrepancy is that Obscuring Mist is cast on yourself, and Fog Cloud has a range and when there are targets in that AoE, then they get mad.

So if the Obscuring Mist is fixed with its range, then this particular issue will be resolved.

upload_2017-1-19_10-21-35.png

14. FDR4PREZ

@Allyx - I know that this obscuring mist stuff isn't solely related to you TC work, so here is something that is :)

My party started killing people in Easthaven, again, and Hrothgar did not come running into the battle when I started killing people. I thought you mentioned previously that he would come to the aid of the townspeople. Although he entered combat immediately when I entered his house.

The Journal entry still references Hommlet

upload_2017-1-19_11-52-57.png

15. Allyx

Yeah I've not done that bit yet... :oops:

Our Host!