Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. ineth

ineth Member

There are different configurations of Orcs/Ogres for different difficulty levels.

It's implemented using their "Specifics scrip", which you can see when you click an actor in the NI area viewer:
    • The EFDELEAS.BCS script deletes a creature when the difficulty level is Easy.
    • The EFDELHRD.BCS script deletes a creature when the difficulty level is lower than Hard (i.e. on Easy or Core).
      • In the Orc cave, "Ogre 2" use this script set example for example.
    • The EFDELINS.BCS script deletes a creature when the difficulty level is lower than Insane (i.e. on Easy, Core, or Hard).
      • In the Orc cave, "Ogre 3" and "Ogre 4" use this script for example.
    All scripts associated with an "actor" of an area become active when you enter that area.

So for "Ogre 2", the EFDELHRD.BCS script would become active, and it has the following content:

Code:
    IF
       !Global("EFDELHRD_inactive","LOCALS",1)
       DifficultyLT(HARD)
       !See([PC])
    THEN
       RESPONSE #100
           DestroySelf()
    END

IF
       !Global("EFDELHRD_inactive","LOCALS",1)
       True()
    THEN
       RESPONSE #100
           SetGlobal("EFDELHRD_inactive","LOCALS",1)
    END
    This uses the DifficultyLT(HARD) trigger to check if the difficulty level is lower than "Hard", in which case it fires the DestroySelf() action to remove the creature that the script was associated with.

The additional !See([PC]) check prevents the creature from disappearing if for some reason it's already in the line-of-sight of the player, because that would look weird (they'd be there for a split second and then gone, i.e. perceived by the player as a glitch). But this shouldn't usually be the case anyway.

The rest is just boilerplate code to make sure this whole mechanism only happens once for each creature (when you first enter its area), to prevent weirdness when players change their difficulty setting in the middle of an area.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Shiningted likes this.
  2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Do we want to add travel encounters? Or leave them out? My main concern about adding them is the maps for the encounters themselves, We could just use ToEE's random encounter maps, but they are obviously a lot less snowey than the maps you would be traveling to/from.

I had to edit the colour ballance for the Kuldahar night map - since there was only the day map to work from (mostly so I don't forget what I did I'll mention how I altered it here).

I opened the map with Gimp 2, lowered the brightness to -100, then increased the colour saturation for yellow to + 30, red to +15 to give the firelight in doorways a bolder glow, I also changed the colour balance by adding +30 to blue which altered the snow colour to more closely match the other night maps snowy areas.

Thanks for that info @ineth, very helpful indeed. Is there a way to switch off the Hard actors in near infinity? Or will I have to check each actor separately?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. ineth

ineth Member

You'll have to check each one.

(NI doesn't run BCS scripts, nor does it derive any information from them. It only shows which script is associated with which entity.)

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Definitely yes for random encounters (imho), since, as I said, the assumptions seems to be you rest on arriving due to fatigue and run your risk of a rest encounter. ToEE obviously won't need you to rest from fatigue.
    So we need some snow-covered maps - sounds like an opportunity :) Does BG have any snowy baps we could borrow? The punters would get a kick out of a random map being something from BG /BG2 (I think).

Now... can someone who can do such things upload the main map - preferably a main map with all areas shown, and a main map with only Easthaven showing - so I can make a world map and buttons?

Also, Al, did you decide on a game area 1 (ie a Hommlet) map? I am thinking there has to be one since the moment you have access to the main map you get Hommlet showing up, like it or not. So I guess it will have to be Kuldahar. The only down side to it is that when you arrive at Kuldahar Pass you can immediately bring up the main map and go straight to Kuldahar - skip the goblin gauntlet - but people replaying the game may thank us for that, and I think in the grand scheme of things it's a minor issue.

Btw, not sure if you have ever seen them but KotB has bombardier beetles with an acid spray effect, not sure if it is working atm but it has certainly been done, for later when you encounter them.

5. Allyx

Ah, I didn't actually think of that one, yeah Kuldahar Pass should be game area 1, I'll have to switch the maps around... Since Hommlet has 3 worldmap buttons, is it possible to disable 2 of them? I mean your first appearance on that map can be a scripted teleport to the correct area, the north part of the pass with beetles and goblins in, another 'room' for that area, and using the worldmap button would spawn the players on the eastern edge by the bridge to Kuldahar - so you could just skip the area the first time you get there by accessing the world map and selecting Kuldahar pass (much like jumping between the welcome wench, the church of St Cuthbert, and Burne's Tower on ToEE).

I'll have to check BG and BG II for snowey random maps, and/or try to edit the existing Random Encounter maps for ToEE to fade the green colour to white, and a darker bluey-white for the night versions like I did for Kuldahar's night map.

6. Shiningted

We can remove two buttons, yes, or set all 3 worldmap areas to go to the same spot.

7. Allyx

Grrr, World ed seems to show I've successfully added most of the maps for Kuldahar Pass, but the Pass map itself AR2000 (trying to use that to replace Hommlet's exterior map) is causing me issues. I usually recombine the map I want to replace in world builder, then open the image in paint, select the old map image and delete it, fill the white gap with black, then paste the image from IWD's map intot he top left corner before saving and splitting the map again in WB.

Only Paint is now having issues where it won't open the Hommlet map, I also tried making a new picture, changing the dimensions to match Hommlet's map, filling it with black and pasting the map I want to top left corner as before, then saving as .jpg and splitting, but that didn't work either. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  8. Shiningted

Made it through the Severed Hand and just started Heart of Winter.

Al, just wanted to say - the bit in the Severed Hand where you give some dead elf cleric Holy Water and they revive the room - we can do that, there is a hot-swap of background jpgs in KotB that Sitra did. :)

9. Allyx

:confused: You would know more about that than I do Ted, I've not seen that yet in either KotB or IWD, but if you say it needs to be done, and can if fact be done, then it's happy smiles all round :D

10. Shiningted

New maps underway, Kuldahar North done :)

11. Allyx

I've finally managed to get the Kuldahar Pass map to work in game - at least according to World Ed, and rebuilt the mini maps with World Ed too.

I'm a bit disappointed that all the work I put in to make Easthaven's clipping better will have to be redone, but I did it once and can do it again, it's just time consuming.

I'll test my progress before packaging it up and uploading again to my Cloud backup over the weekend.

12. Shiningted

I've almost finished the other Kuldar Pass maps - just the mill to go.

Why did you have to redo Easthaven?

13. Allyx

There were a lot of instances where opened doors or parts thereof could still be seen where they shouldn't be able to. There is a beam clipping file I found that if you alter the vertical height of it, and positioned it south from where you want it, it will block a sizable area.

I had even fixed the double doors for the warehouse that were causing CTD's for some people, and the clipping to make them look right when opened inwards.

Thanks for your help with the sectoring Ted, much appreciated.

14. Shiningted

A pleasure :) Finished the mill, I'll tie up the doors etc and send them over sometime this weekend.

15. Allyx

Thanks mate, looking forward to seeing your handiwork as always.

Our Host!