How much of a D&D geek are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Oct 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

It really is a shame that most of us live so far apart. I'm currently writing an epic Planescape campaign based on the Rod of 7 Parts and it requires major roleplaying...smart players too, as the campaign would involve some complicated puzzle solving to travel across the different planes. It's designed to take you from lv 4 to at least lv 13 or 14. It's kind of hard to find really good experienced players around here. I'm sure you guys would make an excellent party.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

There's a boxed set of The Rod of Seven Parts. I've got it but haven't played it yet...lack of players.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Could some semblance of a tabletop game be conducted on the IRC? It would have to allow for people to come and go at weird times.

4. Lord_Spike

Some folks play by e-mail. I don't see why IRC wouldn't work. You'd need to agree on rules version, DM, and a party of adventurers...then on a dungeon. It would be slow going, as you'd have to type a lot. Might not appeal to a lot of folks. Zorn & I used to hook up for MP online air combat sims, and use a voice chat. That was cool. It might be better for this, as it would limit typing.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

<I fly right>

<Well, I'm shooting right>

<Nah u missed>

<well I was using IR missiles>

<yeah but i always release flares when I fly right>

<flares don't stop IR missiles>

<Yeah but I always release chaff when I release flares, they are the same button in my plane>

<r not>

<r too>

Etc. ;)

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes, Gaear, it could be made to happen. Lord_Spike could be DM...everyone would love it so much that all the modders would stop modding and no one would get any new work done for ToEE; albeit, everyone would have a grand time playing pNp D&D on a mIRC channel and no one would want to go to Co8.com, any more. They'd all be in the mIRC channel waiting to play D&D at all times. People would rush home from their place of employment after work or classroom after classes just to see if a game is in session.

To make it happen, someone would have to write a bot with a name something like diebot to roll a variety of dice and make saving throws, etc, and diebot would post the result in the gos channel (room).

For example, a user logged on using mIRC and sitting in the channel would write a command word like
    dieroll 2d6
    in the room (ie, gossip channel). The bot named diebot would chose a randam number from 1 to 6 and 1 to 6 and, then, add the two numbers. Say in this example, the random numbers were 6 and 5. Diebot would then post the answer in the room for all to see. The gos channel (or room) would show
    <diebot> 11 for so-and-so-user
    and everyone in the room would see the result.

fyi - This would be a form of what is called a MUD.

Diebot could also be programmed to answer questions and issue commands. For example, someone could ask diebot in gos something like diebot help and diebot could post a random answer like laugh, no way or sure, why not or ask the DM. Diebot could also look for commands from Sol or the DM to make it say things like kick so-and-so-user or spit on so-and-so-user or leave the DM alone. Diebot could also listen for commands from Sol or the DM to do things like ban a user or momentarily boot a user from the channel.

Now, that's old school!..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  7. Lord_Spike

Flares can stop IR missiles, but not guns or RH missiles...that's what the chaff is used for. But you've made your point.

As much as everyone here hates the idea of MP, My opinion is that I'd love to play this engine in MP, and go on a dungeon crawl with some of the folks here. NOT massively MP, just limit the party to six or something. If we were going to actually try mIRC D&D, then we've taken a step back.

8. Croix

Croix Member

Is MP kinda like Team Speak (head-set and everything)?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  9. Balqisat

Balqisat Member

I have four boxes of the old stuff. The origional Ravenloft dungeon is one of my gems as well as the Amber Castle. The Blood Stone Wars is another good one too. I have been playing since i was 14, I will soon be 27, I have DMed since i was 15, just picked it up really quick. When 3.0 came out, I sit down and created a world, with 4 different campaigns and a total of 16 dungeons (4 for each campaign). It took me about 6 months to do all of it. I still play PnP at least once a month, but the group i play in already had a DM. Also when I would DM, I would make scrolls and maps, fade the paper, cook it, tie it with leather, and seal it with wax and had many different rings that symbolized the different rulers in my world setting. Play by candlelight just so the mood was right. Listen to Midnight Syndicate on CD downloading and recording different ones for each game setting. If that makes me a D&D geek........................... then i guess i am one.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at pnp d&d on the irc, and there's not that many people who use it yet anyway. - I'd have to trust you lot on the rules tho

11. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

Yeah I also own the box set myself, but I don't really like the adventure it includes. Storylines alright but the locations of the parts just don't seem exciting enough. I'm adapting the box set for my own campaign...makes the parts a little harder to find but a hell of a lot more interesting. As for irc d&d, sounds interesting. I've played MUD's in the past but it's not the same. I think a small group like us, who could actually roleplay intelligently and not spend half the time joking around could really get things done. Of course, the big problem is time..of which I have little to spare...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  12. Lord_Spike

Ditto. If I were going to play, I'd rather table-top it; or play comp games solo.

13. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

I think I can be called a moderate DnD geek. I own the three core books for both 2nd ed. ADnD and 3.0 DnD, one set of dice (very worn ;) ), and one partion on my back-up harddrive is exclusively for RPG material. I too like to mention saving throws in regular conversation, and if people don't understand it, I'm more than happy to explain :) About the geekiest bit of me, is that the ld THAC0 rules made sense to me, something that seems to escape most people I know, who are involved with RPGs. I think I've played all DnD video games out there, with one or two exceptions. When it comes to books, if it isn't fantasy, sci-fi or horror, there's not much of a chance that I'll pick it up :). So yes, a geek I be, though I haven't played in years, apart from an online campaign over at winterwind.

14. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

pretty much the same though ive been to gen con more...
    and ive gotten phil and the two women who clollectivly are dixie to sign all the phil and dixie stripes

they are firends and one owns the only purely sci fi book shop in chicago that is not a comic bookish place..

as well as the fineious fingers stuff(yes im that old)
    i started playing d/d about 6mos after its release in 76

though ive not played pnp activly for yrs...
    due to drunkeness in the past... and now lack of players for pnp

Our Host!