How much of a D&D geek are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Oct 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

As a followup to such threads as "What's in your nickname?", "Who is your favorite modder?", "Show me your minis", and many more that I can't even remember, I'd like to make this "D&D geek" type of thread. How much of a D&D geek are you, guys? What D&D-related stuff do you have: modules, minis, dice, etc.? Have you ever read D&D-related books (not only the rule books, but also fantasy books such as "The Dark Elf", etc.)? Do you play CCGs in addition to D&D (if you do, please provide some names :))? Have you ever created your own module or a ... CCG game? Also, provide any extra facts that might increase your D&D geek factor if there are any.

As usual, I'll start with myself.
    I am, by all means, a D&D geek. I have read well over 50 fantasy books based on different D&D settings (mostly Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, but also a little bit about Dark Sun) -- among them such things as "The Cleric Quintet" (Collector's Edition), "The Dark Elf", "Icewind Dale", "A Thousand Orcs", "Elminster: The Making of a Mage", and many many more. I've read all core rule books for D&D 3E and D&D 3.5E and also many "class-based" books ("completes"). I don't own any modules because they are not sold in my town or anywhere close to it, but I downloaded and enjoyed tons of free ones from the Internet. I own over 100 D&D dice (I simply collect them -- different sizes, types, colors, etc.), including some quite rare D30 ones (at least they are rare for Russia, AND they are very rarely used in D&D -- only in certain settings I guess, or something like that). I play CCGs in addition to D&D, but mainly Magic: The Gathering and Berserk (it's a Russian CCG, I'm not sure if it's known anywhere outside Russia).

Also, I introduce a lot of D&D slang phrases (mostly DM phrases) into my regular chat with friends - like, if I walk down the street with my friends and we see a person trip this leg, I could say "he failed his saving throw" (it's mostly figurative here - as if there was a trap there). AND -- everyone around me will understand what that means, because my friends are also that much of D&D geeks :D

That's pretty much it about me and my D&D geek factor.
    Let's hear what you have to say. :)

- Agetian

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I started rolling stats about 7 years ago, I play ToEE. thats about it.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I suppose I'm not that much of a D&D geek. I haven't played PnP for about 15 years, but that's mainly because I have had no one to play it with. I still have every bit of D&D stuff I have ever bought, all First Edition. But it all fits in one medium sized box. If I could find a group to play it with, I would. I've played both BG games (with TotSC, but not ToB), and both IceWind Dale games, and Neverwinter Nights, and at least look into any CRPG with D&D credits.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

* about the same here

* same here except 1st & 2nd Eds and other books and whatnot and mine fits, perfectly, in a plastic milk crate (not box), 600+ US $ of books and a few containers on shelves with about 120+ US $ of dice [original cost in $].

* I'd give a shot at it anyway, considering my schedule.

* I own the premium gold edition boxed set and will install that on my XP computer at some future point in time. Same with LoTR - War of the Ring.

5. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

i pretty much play this and NWN i have played table top, but not in years and i don't own anything for it myself

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Haven't played pnp in years but own various modules, dice of course, many mini's (none of which are in a state to photograph :() a whole ONE rulebook (Dungeoneer's Survival Thing) but have read all the AD&D ones many times, many Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks :p and the "pick-a-Path" ones before that (ummm Dungeon of Dread etc), many D&D games (PoR, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds, BG etc, started writing various modules but never finished them ;) ditto some D&D computer games back in my BASIC days, and basically been captivated by the whole damn thing for decades.

EDIT: O yeah and the Basic box set with KotB of course ;-)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  7. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I'm most definitely a D&D geek. Fantasy novels? Maybe around 20 or so, including the Drizzt series, the Dragonlance Chronicles, and Test of the Twins. It's been mostly Dragonlance, with some Forgotten Realms, and a couple Ravenloft and Darksun. I'm basically all second edition but I do own the pdf's of basically all the 3.5 books and tons of expansions. As for what I actually physically own: the box sets for Darksun (both pre-Rikus and after Rikus), Forgotten Realms (before Time of Troubles), Ravenloft (after Great Rift), Planescape setting, Planescape : Planes of Chaos expansion. Your basic starting books (Player's,DM,Monster Manual), plus a bunch of class handbooks and other miscellanous ones, my most rare being the necromancer's which was always my favorite, Legends and Lore (1st ed), and Dragon Kings. Umm..a few adventure modules, including Hour of the Knife (Ravenloft), In the Abyss (planescape), and Thoughts of Darkness (Ravenloft). I may point out that I never actually got to finish ToD because it was for 14-16th level PC's and it was IMPOSSIBLE to survive. A ton of dice I've collected over the 13 years or so I've been playing and as for CCG's : Spellfire, Blood Wars, Magic, and Legend of the 5 Rings. I can't really name everything specifically and I'm sure I forgot a few important things, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

8. aavar

aavar Member

Let's see,

I currently own all the AD&D 1st edition rule books, (in storage)
    I also have some of the 2nd edition AD&D manuals. ( also in storage)
    I have a number of older 1st ed Ad&D modules in storage
    I used to have access to chainmail and some of the boxed D&D stuff
    I have a bag of assorted dice somewhere(no 30 sided die though)

I have a number of D&D related novels
    many of the forgetten realms novels and some greyhawk ones.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I guess some of my fiction books are D&D - forgotten realms & dragonlance but I didn't know they were D&D. I might've played some D&D computer games but I didn't notice they were D&D aswell.

10. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Played D&D/AD&D on and off for about 10 years, then stopped about 10 years ago. Played all of the BG and IWD games, tried and disliked NWN. Read most of the Salvatore D&D books, but I'm not much of a fan. Never liked the other D&D books I saw. Became more interested in D&D when I was modding for BG2.

11. Croix

Croix Member

I started playing D&D around 86' and absolutely loved it from then on. I have dabbled in the Oriental adventures, Vampire, gamma world (PnP version of Fallout or sorda like it), and a few others. The table top gaming era continued till around 99' when I got serious with my significant other, and moved to NC. I had quite a collection before this, but moving has its sacrifices unfortunatly :tears: . No, I didn't have quite the collection some of you had, but I wish I still had it all the same. Surprizingly, I've managed to hold onto my standard set of die, with 10 extra ten sided, that sit inside my illustrious purple Crown Royal bag, waiting in case the call comes once again. ;)

12. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

I Played Eye of the Beholder 1&2 on Amiga500 and Death knights of Krynn type games. and have been addicted to crpg's ever since then. I've played the infinty engine games but now I only play Toee. I think Crpg's are in a massive lull. I don't play NWN or MMOCRPG's so there's nothing but Toee for now.

I've never played real D&D and wouldn't know how to do it. I understand the concept but fear I may tell the DM to **** *** if he kills my rogue! :lalala:

I'd say I'm not a D&D Geek but I aspire to be one :kiss:

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Too big of one to tell it all...

:no:

I have run three major Greyhawk campaigns spanning 20+ years of gameplay between two generations of players. I stopped buying books some time ago, shortly after second edition came out. I had the 2ed. PH, but gave it away...seeing as how I had all the rules I needed already. I also ditched Oriental Adventures in like fashion, 'cause it didn't make sense to me in that setting. Unearthed Arcana & Greyhawk Adventures were the last two volumes I picked up. I have 'written' a dozen or so modules for these campaigns; some are brand new material of my own creation...some are based on what is to be found in the aforementioned works and merely 'fleshed out'. This is particularly true of GA, which has an entire section devoted to new material. I call it 'written' because most (98%) of it is hand written notes that fills in the gaps left between modules, and it stems from things you would find in Greyhawk. As an example, there is a guy named Chelor; he was deposed by the actions of the first campaign's adventuring...he returned in the second campaign as an antagonist, and was defeated again. In the third campaign, this guy shows up yet again harassing the party for a magic item one of them possesses so that he can re-establish himself as a ruler in another portion of the Flanaess. Man, how they hated him...! Of course, I didn't make up Chelor - Mr. Gygax did...but I give purpose to his creation as it was suggested by his creator so long ago. He's still out there, plotting something anew...

Anyways, I've got about 5 sets of dice, a dozen or so miniatures, tons of OLD dragon mags, and 2 dozen modules & supplements.

14. avfanatic

avfanatic Member

I have all 1E, core 2E, & 3E books in storage, a hundred plus issues of Dragon, Dungeon and Polyhedron, I have 3-4 complete sets of dice plus numerous ones from other RPGs and one 30-sided die, I own a fifty or so metal miniatures and a hundred plus plastic ones, I have numerous boxed sets, I own all the DnD novels up to about ten years ago, I've played every DnD CRPG there is except Spelljammer (though I have that game downloaded), I have 1GB of memory invested into 2975 DnD files in 406 folders, I've been to GenCon twice, I've won role-playing awards at cons, and I've been playing for about 20 years.

Currently I'm running two campaigns (one Greyhawk, one FR) and I own most of the 3.5 books.

I am a HUGE DnD geek. :mrhappy:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  15. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

I am a minor d&d geek. i have most of the rule books exept 3.5, i have most of the novels (except some of the newer ones). lots of dice (not sure about 30 sided,i do remember a 100 sided though). i have not played for several years though. and most of the computer games, some of which i still play.

Our Host!