Help with finding texture files

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ryuujin, Aug 24, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ryuujin

Ryuujin Member

I've searched the forums, but I didn't find anything specific about modding texture files (.tga). I am working with the world builder and have come up with a few goodies that I would like to implement in the game, however I cannot find all of the texture files for armor and weapons. I have already modified some armors and would like to do a few more. I am guessing that they may be in a compressed file, but.... ? Specifically, I would like to mod cloaks, monk robes, etc. Any idea where those texture files are located? Thanks!

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

5. Ryuujin

Ryuujin Member

Thanks Guys, I found what I was looking for. When I get some textures finished, I will take screenshots and post them. Also, I was curious about scripting in the world builder. I really would like to create the Drow as a playable race and I see many ways in which this can be done, but in the attempt to make them as canon as possible, I have another problem to solve, how to level them properly. Also, unlike elves, Drow get +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, and +2 Chr. I can hex edit this no prob, but the more I can automate things the better, also, they should start as level 3 characters, meaning a lvl 1 Drow Cleric would need the experience necessary to gain their 4th level, but they would really be 2nd level in class/abilities. If I could negatively adjust their xp gains or change their xp table, or ??? that would rock. Any ideas?

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

If you can figure it out, sweet :D

I don't think its doable without recoding the dll, there's no supporting code in the game for a 7th race, so you'd have to remove one of the current races to make space for it.

here's some of my research on it...

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2064

7. Ryuujin

Ryuujin Member

Wow, OK, I need to read further, I see that you have done an awesome amount of testing and I will hold for a sec before I post again as I hate repeating something peeps already know... I like where you are going with your testing, from what I am reading Cujo. I will see if there is anything I can add. At the very least, I can see some of the more difficult limitations...

Update:
    Ok, so one of the issues I had was when I tried to have an elf with the half-orc skin color. The problem being that the skin color and racial bonuses were tied together in the PROTOS.TAB file, but the model type was not, thus I could have small buff elves, but when I changed the race to half-orc in the prototype Elf Female, my PC became a half-orc. I did find a way to increase the size of my elves while keeping them elves. If I made half-orc PCs at full height and changed the proto their CHARACTER.ToEE file referenced, they would change their race and keep their height. Also, Lolth is 23 on the list of deities, I'm curious if I were to change that number if a PC would then display Lolth instead of say Vecna.

Cujo, did you guys ever find the link between the value "race_elf" in the PROTOS.TAB file and how it is connected with the skin texture files and the racial bonuses/proficiencies/etc. I think I am beginning to see the wall you've bumped up against. And yea, even if we could get to a point where a PC base skin would be a drow elf texture, we would still need to create 259023095 texture files for it. Worst case, we could overwrite the elf skin with a dark version, keep its racial bonuses, write a script or hex edit the rest of the bonuses and build some select armor to maintain the drow appearance (since they would probably scoff at wearing surface world armor anyhow...)

I don't hold out for an all out mod that would allow you to pick dark elf as a race from inside the game. Also, if we had to overwrite a PC class, I'm down with dumping gnome. Still, I'm all for a workaround which seems the most likely way to do this for now.

Also, Cujo I made some female spider silk textures!

Update:
    Ok, looking at some of your posts...
    Spell-Like Abilities - Easy, I have set up my work in progress drow to have all of the available spells they should have (as long as the game has them, that is), the catch is you get them all from the start, so you either restrict yourself from using spells you wouldn't normally have, but would later, or if say you are not a cleric, you can remove those spells from your memorization table and they do not return (curse and a blessing, heh!)
    Drow Racial Bonuses - hex edit, easy
    Darkvision - Easy and Hard, I can make it a free 1x/day spell for a drow, but it would be limited to the spell duration.
    Spell Resistance - Also go that to work, but I don't know how to progress it with your levels, maybe a script?
    Mind over Magic - Ok, be honest, who ever chooses Iron Will as a feat, hmmmMMMMM?? It's not a perfect fit, but it would work.
    Enhanced Sense Make your base character an elf, or hex edit it to be an elf later...
    Light Blindness - Hard... Maybe if there were some value associated to daylight vs night or even a range of values, you could maybe write a script to affect your character during daylight values??
    Drow Weapon Proficiencies This can be done easy enough, but if elf is your race, you also get their weapon proficiencies...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I'm all for dumping the Gnome for a playable drow or half-drow race. I wonder how far Ryuujin got.

Our Host!