Game dies when trying to go to the drow 2nd time - any help?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rks, Jul 30, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. rks

rks Member

Hi! I'm playing an evil party of lvl 13-ish and when going through items I found the witch-note for going to the drow. I didn't remember if I had done this with this party so I pressed "go there" or whatever it says. The screen went black and the game crashed to desktop. The save (there is only a "entry-area-save since I play Ironman) will not load and crashes with the same error.

Is there anything I could do to save this game? Moving some files around or anything? Any help appreciated, I have plans for this one! I'm going kill everything in the game, including Iuz (but not sure if Cuthbert is possible)...

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Someone more familiar with the witch's note will probably want to bugcheck this but just as a general point, if your save game is crashing then it's probably beyond redemption...

Can I just check - are you playing with autosave on? Are you playing with the game's ironman mode? If the answer to either question is yes, please don't! Autosave messes up the Co8 scripting (as well as some of the scripting in the original game), and both are subject to quite frequent save game corruption.

If by enter-area save you mean that you're houseruling ironman, then ignore the above paragraph ;)

3. rks

rks Member

Yes, I play at Ironman-setting. Anyway, I fixed it myself by renaming the temp-saves (autosaves) that is generated in the entry on a new map from whatever0000.??? to whatever0001.???. Then I rebooted the game and it worked fine. I was again at the gnarled woods map and could exit fine.

I didn't know of the Ironman-feature bugging up Co8 scripts and the Co8 mod, I will probably avoid Ironman in the future due to this... :)

4. Zebedee

Interesting. Nice workaround :)

I'll file that one away for 'things to suggest if saved game is fubar'

It's the autosave which messes up scripts as it seems to stop the initial heartbeat which is vital to most of the scripts done. You'll notice the difference primarily with spellcasters who will be much easier without their defensive spells precast.

No idea what caused your crash if you can rename the save and carry on... it sounds like save game corruption but who knows?

5. rks

rks Member

Yup, who knows? Anyway, I'm interested: I have never experienced a spellcaster being more "unprepared" when playing Ironman than Normal, is the "unprepareness" common?

Oh, and while on the topic (even if it is OT in this thread) do you, perchance, know of a way of getting to Verbobonc while playing evil? The prisoners (lvl 1/2) don't give any response I can use to go there - my options of answer seem to be "I do not really care"-ish. Oh I happened to try to steal some stuff from Terjon, causing him to attack me, and then I ended up slaughtering all of Hammlet. So no way of gaining Rufus and going to V through him... Thx in advance!

6. Zebedee

Interesting. But then if you play with autosave on then there won't be any difference... ;)

I know little about Verbobonc. Hopefully Allyx will spot this question as he's the mod designer and will know all the intricacies :ninja:

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Are you using one of the CMF patches? If so which one? Or maybe the bare 5.0.0 installer version? What level are your party members? and who is doing the talking are they alow intelligence? Female/Male?

No-one else has reported a problem, so pinpointing the reason that means you cannot get to Verbobonc is the first step towards fixing the problem.

8. rks

rks Member

I'm using 5.0.4 CMF, a lvl 13 chaotic evil female half-orc cleric with 14 intelligence, 16 charisma and full ranks (16) in diplomacy is doing the talking. Not one of the (male) merchants in lvl 2 temple would give any lines that would mean "sure, I'll take you to V" or something in that direction.

Our Host!