Fear of Ghosts help

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by chiech22, Jun 4, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Same for me. Big disappointment because I let the gnolls escape in the first place, and didn't get the XP I needed at that time, but never got beyond that first empty raided convoy "encounter". Did someone ever have an encounter beyond that and what do I have to do to trigger that?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The monster that "only needs to eat once a month", makes me think of a reptile maybe?

It can be found ... Highlight the area below to read spoiler.

The creature is located outside of the moathouse in the far north. There is a small pond well hidden by foilage, but if you wonder around the North West part you will find it.

Hope this helps. ;)

3. Barles

Barles Member

Well hidden indeed xD. Initially I figured that was the place but I missed it on my way there. Would have missed it on my way back too had I not been moving around carelessly. I swear, if I went on real adventures, I would die so fast...

4. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

I'm having trouble getting the fear of ghosts quest to even start.

I bought the castle in one go.
    I went in the first time at night.
    I saw the first ghost upstairs.
    I didn't know what to do with it, so I left.
    Now whenever I go back to whack/talk to the ghost, there aren't any there. It doesn't matter if I enter the castle during day or night times, no ghosts.

It has the red resting icon and talking to the hole gnome gives me advice as to what to do with the ghosts. But whether I go in by day, pass time till night before going in (evening, midnight, past midnight, nothing works) or go in during the day (didn't epxect that to work, but tried it just to make sure my clock wasn't reversed), I didn't see any ghosts.

I tried the skill->search, I ran my high spot check characters around the place (spot 20+) and I moved a sound burst template around just to see if I can make any entity circles appear. Nothing.

Is there a trick I'm missing? Or is there a bug?

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I just tested it according to your conditions and he's still up there like he's supposed to be. Did you do anything else as regards any ghosts?

6. sirchet

Isn't there a sound effect that goes off when you first enter an area where the ghost is?

Or maybe I just entered when he was close to my party.

7. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

Not as far as I am aware. I had the ambush at the moathouse.

I tried finding out more about the ghosts by talking to people, but no one seemed to have any lines on the subject (jeweler I bought it from, the guard next to the signpost at city hall, the lord viscount, the cleric of pelor, the servants in the castle (not the guards in the castle yet, though, I think; does that help?). Only the gnome said anything, though I wouldn't know if the rest are even meant to.

I once tried turning undead but that didn't do anything visible (and I reloaded after just to be sure).

The quest has not yet appeared in my logbook either.

And just to be sure, the procedure to make them appear at night if I arrive in Verbobonc by day is:
    go to in front of the castle (verbobonc map)
    pass time (evening? evening + X hours?)
    enter the castle
    ...yes?

8. Gaear

There really isn't a 'procedure' ... you just go in at night and they should be there.

9. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

I meant procedure as in, if you enter during day and pass time, NPCs don't get spawned because the map didn't change, right?

And they shouldn't be hidden either, correct?

Hm, I guess my game/save is broken. Ah well, thanks for the help :)
    Maybe I'll find them later, till then I'll have to sleep in hommlet.

10. Gaear

That's correct, although you don't have to wait outside. A single map change is sufficient, so main hall to upper hall, periapt to upper hall, etc.

No, the upper ghost should be stalking around. He goes down the halls too - have you looked there?

11. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

I thought I'd be thorough over the whole level including the hallways. Will try again, though just to be sure.

12. sirchet

I move my mouse around until I see a change in what it goes over, sometimes that pesky ghost is hard to see.

It's almost like he's invisible, resembling a shadow how they only appear when walking behind something.

13. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

I've seen him the first time, yes. I kind of know what to look for, but despite thorough searching no luck :(

Went over the whole level with mouse and soundburst spell template (hoping a numbered red cirlce would show up if I dragged it over him, wasn't gonna cast it).

14. Gaear

Okay, can you check the following things in the console? (To open the console, hold down shift and type ~. Same to close it. Then type the following codes in and hit enter after each one, and let me know what value the console returns.)

Code:
    game.global_vars[765]

game.global_vars[696]

game.global_flags[869]

15. ehlijen

ehlijen Member

Did that, in order:

Our Host!