Eye of the tiger quest won't work

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rocktoy, Jan 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I just tried to do the Eye of the Tiger quest in Nulb, but for some reason I can't. As soon as Tolub gets his turn he cals me a cheat and stops fighting. I'm not using weapons or having any spells on. What should I do?

I'm using the 6.0. nc mod.

edit. sorry about the double postm don't how to use this yet

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Are you dealing non-lethal damage during the fight? Otherwise, you are "cheating".

3. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

This happened to me as well!

However, maybe Tolub was terrified of fighting my Half-orc barbarian druid. :) He was level 2/5, and had 20 strength. I hit Tolub once, and then raged on the second turn and Tolub called me a cheater. However, i have raged before in this fight, and not had a problem. I also had more HP than Tolub when i raged, would that have any bearing? ... i also have the Monks Belt equipped - but this is legal equipment. Just makes it a fair fight!

Anyway ... possible issue? Gaear, any ideas???

I have backed up to a previous save, so i could try to replicate this again...

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you guys sure you've activated and are playing the Co8 mod? The Tolub bug is from vanilla and was fixed a long time ago.

5. Rocktoy

Absolutely sure. I went to Arena of heroes since I couldn't finish the eye of the tiger. I also tried with earlier save where i hadn't even entered Nulb yet with no help. Yesterday with another group I had no troubles with this quest.

btw. I couldn't find a single hiden door in the Moathouse. Yesterday I found em all.

6. J'allan UlDragos

Yeah, i'm playing Co8 6 New Content.

Oh yeah, i actually figured out how to get the console to finally work on my Vista laptop. changed the properties tab under the keyboard device drivers in Device Manager to the other option available, the ~ now works!!! :)

I have progressed in 6 New Content to Nulb with no issue but this one. would not have reported it as an issue, until i saw the poster here experiencing the same issue.

I thought Tolub had actually accused me of being a cheater...

Could it be because the Monk Belt causes Non-lethal damage, as the wearer is now considered a Monk of 5th level? maybe Tolub will not brawl with a character exhibiting Monk profession?

i have not had a chance to make another run from that save to see if the same thing happens- when the quest was botched, I restarted from a previous save.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Monks do lethal damage barehanded. That's cheating. Tolub never fights any character that has at least one level of monk.

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I've beat him with a monk plenty of times, he only gets mad when I challenge him again.

9. Rocktoy

Well I got this problem fighting with my bare handed barbarian, I even tried fighting with my unarmed wizard, both got the same result. :( But since the hiden doors are gone I have to start all over again anyways. :angry:

10. Rocktoy

That got me thinking. I have noticed that if I run the game, then quit and do something different and then try to launch the game again by clicking the “play” button in front – end x without restarting my computer it is likely to cause a crash to the blue screen.

Last time this happened the crash also messed up all my game settings, audio, video and general. It even putted on the autosave with map changes. So if the Tolub problem is a vanilla thing and the autosave setting on (as in mods it is always defaulted as off?) is also a vanilla thing, this sounds like the “Vanilla elements appear to be mixed with modded elements. What's going on?” from known issues.

I definitely waited till front end told me that the activation was ready. My conclusion is that the crash to blue screen messed up the activation or caused similar file overlapping. Is this possible?

11. J'allan UlDragos

I also waited for the TFX FrontEnd app to complete - but it took over 45 min on my Vista laptop to do so, which i thought was odd. It has never taken that long to activate before.

However, the game has worked GREAT so far, other than this "Eye of the Tiger" oddity - i have not noticed anything strange... at all! quite enjoying the fine Co8 work on this release. The game plays very stable, other than the longer loading times when booting the game.

I have completed New Content such as the Welkwood Bog scenario, Rannos/Gremag Revenge subplot triggered, assassination attempt, slew the giant for Brother Smyth, Rainbow Rock, cleared the Moathouse, started exploring Nulb, and heard about the Orcs from Kenter Nevets...

Everything else seems to be fine. anyway, i'll try this again tonight, and maybe use my Barb/Bard character in the fight instead to see if he has the same "cheater" issue.

And... if it is just the Monk Belt causing it, maybe i can just choose to deal Non-Lethal damage? since maybe it defaults as a Monk skill to Lethal as the option ... I have to admit i consoled in the Monks Belt just to test it out on this fight :) out of curiosity.

Unless it is occurring for some other reason.

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The Tolub thing is indeed a bug going back to vanilla, no one really knows what triggers it.

IIRC, in vanilla ToEE, Tolub would also trigger a fight with the whole place if he thought you were cheating - this was disabled due to that bug.

Our Host!