Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausdoerrt, Dec 18, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay - hehe, kind of a comical effect. :p I thought I had taken care to avoid that but apparently not. Anyway, now that Ag has WB up to speed we can just go back to total override for those maps. Thanks for pointing it out.

(btw, the third map with that feature is the Cheesemaker.)

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Moathouse Respawn - Nightwalker:

Nightwalker needs to be given a higher concentration skill, because the spells it casts are natural abilities that shouldn't really require concentration checks at all. As it is, it gets a +12 on a ~DC15 checks, which renders a decent chance of failing.
    Case in point: when I fougt it, it lasted up to round 3, with both the first two rounds spent on miscasts...

Also, no way its CR should be 16, that's too much XP for what actual challenge it poses. Like other monsters, it should be knocked down a little, and attached the CR modifier script on top.

Lastly, I think it should ditch spellcasting altogether and focus on melee. It's a waste of time, unless you grant it quickened versions of the spells (e.g. the fear effect is supposed to be a passive gaze effect, and it should be able to cast quickened unholy blight at will). Meanwhile, it has phenomenal strength, and it should also have Power Attack turned on for maximum effect.

Another thing, I noticed that it doesn't cast see invisibility because of problems witht he duration. I think that can be bypassed by manually editing the spell?

FIXED

Edit: Since your plate is full as it is :) here you go

Nightwalker Adjustments:
    -Bumped down to CR 14 + CR modifying script
    -Now has a free fear effect + 2 quickened Unholy Blights, as per SRD description
    -Corrected DCs and effect durations
    -Prebuffs with See Invisibility
    -Increased Concentration skill so it doesn't fail concentration check on natural abilities
    -Set Power Attack to +5

Should be a little more challenging now, and you won't scout it out just so easily :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. Gaear

Much appreciated, Sitra.

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I had my second CTD while loading the game (I'm playing the Co8 Modpack 7.9.0 NC).

Sitra Achara and Gaear, is it okay if we players apply Sitra's updated Nightwalker files to our game now so that we can test the combat against the Nightwalker in our playthroughs of 7.9.0 NC or does other modder's internal stuff need to be done to the Co8 Modpack NC in order for these files or the game to work correctly? I am nowhere near getting to the Moathouse Respawn in my current playthrough of 7.9.0 NC.

5. Gaear

You could drop it in if you wanted to, but it will only go into 'official' public release in v8 (or sooner if we do a patch for 7.9).

The .mob file goes in modules/ToEE/maps/Map-8-Moathouse-Dungeon.

6. Sitra Achara

I forgot to attach two files - strategy.tab and see invisibility.py.

Also:
    -Applied the quickened fear treatment to the Verbobonc Dragon and the Groaning Spirit. Now they won't waste a turn casting it.
    -Did some tweaking on the Dragon stats (CR & DC adjustments, gave it a Weapon Focus feat, and adjusted its breath weapon to 8d6 DC 27 as it should be) + the CR script + set Power Attack to 5.

Attached Files:

7. Gaear

Cool. There's another fellow now who could use the quickened fear routine actually, as long as it could be constrained to not affect his buddies immediately. See proto 14984 if you're interested. Currently he has no fear effect at all, which is probably quite inappropriate.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Classy way of avoiding a spoiler ^_^

9. Sitra Achara

Well, per the rules, it should affect creatures with HD 5 and below, so I'm not sure about it... i.e. adding it per the rules would be mostly meaningless. Then again, the dragon's fear effect is also exaggerated (above a certain level, it should merely effect a 'shaken' condition, which I think ToEE lacks).

Other bugs/issues I have found: (Hickory Branch)

-Crypt snakes attack each other (at least one of them did)
    -Our friend 14984, when casting
    Horrid Wilting
    , drags nearby chickens into battle

FIXED

-AI scripting:
    I'm not sure what it's getting at - the scripts constantly search for
    Code:
    leader = attachee.leader_get()

And then check its group_percent_hp.
    Is this meant to be some contingency for charm person? Because that's the only meaning leader_get() has.
    Unless the crittter is charmed, leader_get() will just return OBJ_HANDLE_NULL.
    Also, group_percent_hp will always check the party's HP percent, not the AI's party... and yes, OBJ_HANDLE_NULL.group_list() will return the PC party group list.

Lastly, Hungous doesn't attempt to break free from Web. Kind of trivializes the encounter. Attached an example fix. (basically, you need at add break_free( attachee, 3) to san_start_combat scripts, and modify the strategies in strategy.tab to include 'use potion' at the end, so that if the AI can't attack, it will drink the break-free potion.

Attached Files:

10. Gaear

That was semi-deliberate (although the chickens could just be moved away or gotten rid of if it's a problem). Did the chickens somehow survive? Every time I did it they would be blown up instantly. And did any survivors actually join combat? I think their protos are flagged ONF_NO_ATTACK, which should make them passive.

Re: leader = attachee.leader_get(), IIRC those scripts wouldn't work without it, which I pilfered from other scripts which seemed to work similarly.

That's what we want I believe ... those critters that use it are varying their strategies based on the health of the player party.

Thanks. Many HB protos lost the break free thing, because for whatever reason (as per normal ToEE operation) I couldn't get it to work in conjunction with whatever new san_start_combat scripts they were using. I had bigger time crunch issues with everything else than to spend another 8 weeks troubleshooting that, lol. :p

Roger on the fear effect.

11. Sitra Achara

Yeah, I had about 3-4 chickens dragged into the fight and had to finish them off myself. They didn't attack or anything, but they were in the combat queue.

Well, if it works... just seemed very odd.

Glad to help. Maybe I'll contribute some more, but it'll have to wait a little because I'm going on vacation :)

12. Gaear

Code:
    if modder.d20_query(Q_hopping_on_foot == 1 and tapping_on_head >= 4) and modding.day != wednesday ...
    ;)

Okay now I'm jealous. :sadblinky

13. Gaear

Hey SA, there is something wrong with Unholy Blight Quickened (Internal).

With the following lines included in spell_enum.mes, the game fails to load, crashing at 'Loading protos (clearing old) ...'

Code:
    {754}{unholy_blight_quickened}
    Code:
    {5754}{Unholy Blight Quickened (INTERNAL)}
    If I delete one of these lines (either one), the game will load. (I'm assuming deleting one nullifies both somehow.)

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

In 7.9.0 NC, killing Alira now causes main NPCs (e.g. Otis, Calmert and Terjon) to become hostile so that the player's party is attacked on sight by those NPCs.

In 7.8.0 NC, when my party entered the Waterside Hostel, Dala pickpocketed my party leader who caught Dala in the act and confronted Rentsch and didn't back down but instead told Rentsch to defend himself, which led to combat, where Alira attacked my party, where my party killed Rentsch & Wat & Alira & Rentsch's guards. Afterwards, my party had no problems with any other NPCs (such as Calmert & Terjon) becoming hostile upon sight of my party.

In 7.9.0 NC, when my party entered the Waterside Hostel, Dala pickpocketed my party leader who caught Dala in the act and confronted Rentsch and didn't back down but instead told Rentsch to defend himself, which led to combat, where Alira attacked my party, where my party killed Rentsch & Wat & Alira & Rentch's guards. Afterwards, when my party approached other main NPCs (such as Otis or Calmert & Terjon), those NPCs attacked my party upon sight.
    So I did the combat against Rentsch and his entourage again, but this time Pishella successfully cast Charm Person on Alira. After the battle, NPCs (such as Calmert & Terjon) aren't hostile to my party.
    Therefore, killing Alira causes other main NPCs (such as Otis or Calmert & Terjon) to attack the player's party on sight.
    The only difference between my playthroughs of 7.8.0 NC and 7.9.0 NC are that in 7.8.0 NC, my party alignment was Lawful Evil and I had the NPCs Pintark, Tuelk, Ashrem, Raimol, and Zert in my party, and Alira initially had a green circle around her feet during the combat, whereas in 7.9.0 NC, my party alignment is Lawful Good and I have the NPCs Turuko, Kobort, Pishella, and Meleny in my party, and 2 of my PCs are paladins, and Alira initially had a red circle around her feet during the combat.
    In both 7.8.0 NC and 7.9.0 NC, Alira initiated hostilities against my party by approaching my party and attacking one of my party's characters during the combat against Rentsch and his entourage, but in 7.8.0 NC, Alira retreated to her original position after making an attack, whereas in 7.9.0 NC, Alira kept attacking my characters and did not return to her original position.

CAN'T REPRODUCE

In 7.9.0 NC, all of the secret doors in the moathouse ruins still have a search DC of 0.

CAN'T REPRODUCE

There is a long-standing major bug in this computer game where if the player has "good" NPCs in the player's party (e.g. Pishella & Meleny) and the player charms a monster or hostile NPC during combat, and then the player attacks and kills the charmed monster or NPC while any of the "good" NPCs are within line-of-sight of the player's PCs attacking and killing the charmed monster or NPC, then when the player's party comes within line-of-sight of one of the "good" main NPCs in the computer game (such as Calmert & Terjon or Burne & Rufus), those "good" main NPCs will attack the player's party on sight and ALL of the "good" NPCs (e.g. Pishella & Meleny) that were in the player's party will immediately leave the player's party and attack the player's party.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I've fought this battle in 7.9NC without a hitch, although alira, (the girl with a map to the temple?) was not hostile when I challenged the others and I did not attack her. The circle around her feet was green.

Alira has always been non-hostile for me in every version of the Modpak, even if I bother her with my male leader who can't take no for an answer when it comes to a girl in a bar alone. :p

Our Host!