Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ank

Ank Established Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. chano

chano Established Member

Thanks, i just tried that,,,,, well, he killed my fighter, was that supposed to happen ?
    Tried to raise him and the game froze during the dialog,, not good :(

Tried it twice now, same result, he kills the character, and then the dialog freeze and i need to kill the game.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. chano

chano Established Member

Kelno is not able to take party to the greater temple, dialog is broken, just says 1. 2. 3.

This happen in 5.9 aswell, but i forgot to mention it.

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

General Ghoul, that is extremely impressive! I'd never be able to do that. But then, I prefer concentrating on melee combat - that's just the way that I prefer to play D&D. I couldn't do that with the assassin (that comes after you when you sell one of Lareth's items to Rannos Davl or Gremag) though. When my party of 7 level 4 PCs fought the assassin, my cleric won initiative, cast Hold Person, and the assassin just failed his save by 1 or 2, allowing my fighters to Coup de Grace him to death in the first round of combat. I withdraw my complaint about the assassin being too difficult. If anything, he could do with some allies to make the combat sporting. In hindsight, my party could have fought him when they were only level 3.

General Ghoul, what is THL an acronym for?

On the moathouse dungeon level, in the hallway outside Lareth's room, there is an anomaly. If you hold down the Tab key, then a light blue dot appears approximately in the middle of the hallway (see screenshot below). What is that blue dot?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That blue dot is also in tower behind the Temple and in other places. It's vanilla.

6. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

I had the three criminals from the VB quests under the influence of DOMINATE PERSON spells, therefore in the party, -AND- unconscious from FF non-lethal damage... and they STILL run away if you try to bring them in alive to the jail.... crafty rogues indeed. I tried talking to them and others near them, so far I have not found a way to avoid killing them and still complete the quest.

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gazra
    Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.
    The Royal Canadian

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I do not think think there is a successful way to complete that quest without killing them. You either let them escape and botch the missions or kill them off. The most challenging fight is to have all three together before they turn on you. I think it is scripted that they will never be brought into the jail alive.

Though I wonder if use Friendly Fire to kill them, but do not delete them from the group, if they will still turn into phantoms and get away. :) I will have to give that a try on my next play through.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I find it a bit ironic that after watching players routinely murder innocent NPCs just because they look like they might be carrying something neat or because they're bored (a little-known caveat in the Paladin code of conduct booklet must be that it's okay to murder innocents if you're bored), suddenly everybody is determined to go by the book with these admitted and unrepentant killers and thugs and bring them in for the justice system to handle. :p

10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I want my cake and to eat it too. And I want to see what the guy gives me. It might be better than what is on the guys.

Note, I had to kill the guys. They attacked me.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Shot in the back of the head while handcuffed and kneeling while trying to escape or resisting arrest.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Is it not a given that Paladins and other Vigilantes are hypocrites and must do all that they can to prove it. :p

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The Drow Matriarch summons a sword that attacks its fellows.
    (If you want enemy AI to summon things, you have to rig the spell script to create a proto entry that has the same faction as the summoner)

Fight is quite tough now, BTW. Well done.

14. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

This is different, some other guy wants me to be a murdering bastard. When I kill people, I want it to be because -I- feel like it :p (I admit there was a time when I killed the Jeweler for the magic longsword... but you went and made him INNOCENT, or at least, now the good people of Hommlet seem to take exception at his killing, when they didn't in days gone by). In any case, when I play a good party.. especially when I have a Paladin, I try to not murder people... even evil bastards.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Nothing changed there from 5.8.1 to 5.9.1. Heartbeat functions don't always work for whatever reason, so you may get flukey results from time to time with prebuffing and whatnot. He's not scripted to auto-talk at all though initially, so I have no idea how that happened. What did he say?

The hero's shield proto was adapted from the existing protos for tower shields and should function identically to them.

I believe that's likely hardcoded.

The module states that the windwalkers are benign, and rats in ToEE usually are too (think Moathouse, Temple).

Because it was created and put there by Co8.

The brown bear was not changed. I don't think it's ever been flagged KOS, but it shares the giant's faction, so if they are near together they should both join against you.

Well it was brought about on Temple Level 1 by loading in Sitra's reactive earth scripts, which aren't in the modpack, so I don't guess it's spreading. By and large it still seems down, really, being as we've gotten nowhere near the complaints we used to. Still there in some form though. I wonder if it's not something as mundane as too many complex scripts running.

That's the first I've ever heard of it not working.

Thanks, will fix.

Thanks ... we'll just dump that spell.

Getting closer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!