Back to the Beginning (big problem)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dragon_Awakened, May 12, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

I downloaded ToEE 5.0 Thursday night and have had nothing but problems with it. I disabled the old 4.0 version to make room for it. The current problem is endless CTDs. I'll buy my equipment, console in a couple of items, and then go to Jade to begin adventuring and the game CTDs and will not restart until I actually shut down my computer and come back in or it will let me get to the point where I can load a saved game then once I select it it crashes. I went through the "read me" notes and saw nothing on this. I tried starting a second game and got even more frustrated as I chose to just skip the shop map, got to kill the thief in the intro then run into Kent and after talking to him the game reacts in the same manner (CTD, Inaccessability). WTF is up?

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

You either consoled in am non-existent item or botched your install
    when you were disabling co8 4.0.0. I would advise reinstalling and
    applying patch 5.0.3 along with dll fix 16.0.3 (found in CMF thread
    in general modification).

3. Dragon_Awakened

Things seemed to have worked themselves out a bit. Only major crash was the battle with the orcs. I noted that the orc archers seemed to ready vs spells and in one instance one of the archers seemed to shoot out of turn and the entire system froze to a point nothing short of pulling the plug would work. I have since defeated those orcs but when I go back to hommlet the old man makes no further mention. Cleared the moat house and dealt with the new problem at the end. It was a very nice surprise, my hat is off to the person who reworked it.)
    I look forward to any other surprises.

4. younes

younes Member

Hello,
    I think I'm having pretty much the same problems as you had (take a look at my post).
    The game CTDs or actually I have the "power down plack screen of death!", when I transition between maps (from inside a home to main Hommlet's map) or, as you, from "Jade's caravan" to the hommlet big map.
    You say that the problem worked itself out? What did you do? It would help a lot of you lend me a hand!^_^

5. Dragon_Awakened

I'm not sure what I did to get things to work out. In the initial crash/lockout I was having I had consoled in both a sword and bow that had very elvish sounding names that I had found in the read-me files. I was trying to check them out. I just stopped letting curiosity kill the cat. Consoling in monk boots for several party members shouldn't be too taxing. I wish I could have been of greater assistance.

6. Dragon_Awakened

Sorry about the bump/double post.

I know it is bad form to bump/double post in one's own topic but I was not willing to waste the space on another thread.
    -----
    One: Hats off to all the developers here. I have done my rounds in Verbobnoc. Dealt with the orcs, fended off a particularly nasty ambush early on. I have however run into a few snags along the way.
    I have what appears to be a titleless quest in my records for Hommlet/Verbobnoc. I'm trying to figure out if this has something to do with the orcs or certain characters of a nefarious nature who take part in an early ambush against adventurers. Is this assumption correct?
    ----
    In Verbobnoc: I took care of the typical problems (the spiders, drow, and other nasty critters.) I did however perhaps jack a few things up. I found the followers of Hextor and that resulted in a fight. I'm not sure that fight was supposed to happen but it was fun. I couldn't figure out how to trigger little red ridinghood and "his" buddies in the inn so I did it through the normal means aka my katana wielding elf picked a fight with him.
    ----
    A minor disappointment as I discover that the light hammer is no longer throwable. I have long lamented the lack of a throwing axe in ToEE and now it's closest relative is gone. Not a big problem though given the overall quality of the other improvements.

I thank you for your time.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Rip_Van_Dragon, try the masterwork single axe: the normal one is not marked up as any sot of missile weapon but the masterwork one is internally flagged as a 'throwing axe' (albeit it has no range). This all goes back to patch 2. Grab one (or 2 or 3) with

give 4171

and see if they work :) (then get back to us).

Otherwise, I just had a look at the SRD and yes, there should be throwable axes. For that matter, there is an internal model for them too. Someone should indeed fix this.

I nominate Ax Thrower :icon_chuc

As for the light hammers - they seem unchanged, and should definitely be throwable. So I am not sure what to say about that :shrug:

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

last time I tryed the light hammer was throwable, and a good thing to my rogue sneak attacked someone who was going to bust my party by throwing it and it took them out in one hit.

9. Dragon_Awakened

Update

The single axe is throwable and now I could give a rat's arse less about the light hammer. The perfect test target for my axe thrower was Romag from the earth temple and my first throw at him was a critical hit for 22 points of damage! Others in the party had hit him previously and the thrown axe was the kill shot. Thanks for the info.

Now to push my luck: Would it be possible to create a masterwork double bladed battleaxe? There are two codes for masterwork battle axes but one of them causes an immediate system crash.

Thanks.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fyi - The Half-Orc Commander in the Hickory Branch MOD in the major upgrade of my Hickory Branch MOD will have an updated magic unholy double axe that will newly look-and-feel as scary and evil as it is an effective weapon...requires orc_double_axe feats to use without penalties.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The CTD one is one that inexplicably does not exist in the protos.tab: there are a small number of various items (maybe a half-dozen all up that I have run across) that are written in the description.mes but are simply missing from protos.tab. You know u r having a bad day when u try to grab something randomly or get a number wrong and CTD yourself with one of them ;)

By 'a double bladed axe' you mean a double-bladed head? Or two-headed? We can do the former, yes - I'd write a really grovelly letter to our Master Crafter Allyx if i were you and see if it works ;)

EDIT: Btw, that single axe - does it have any sort of range limits on it? Or can you throw it the length of the Temple? "Take that, Hedrack! Now everyone up the stairs..." :icon_chuc

We will, of course, have to fix that ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  12. Dragon_Awakened

late return.

I meant the double bladed head axe like the one that the default barbarian used to start with.

The single axe seems to have about the range of the light hammer when thrown. I haven't had the chance to throw it for a great distance.

Our Host!