A workaround for the critical threat range bug.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Barthes, Oct 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Barthes

Barthes Member

Adding "Weapon Keen" to all expanded critical range weapons in the protos fixes the problem of only rolls of 20 getting critical hit checks.

Changes made to the protos:

1) Added "Keen" once to all 19-20 range weapons (longswords, crossbows, greatswords etc...). set critical range from 19 to 20, *this affects description only*. These weapons get critical checks on 19 and 20 now. The description reads 18-20.

2) Added "Keen" twice to 18-20 range weapons (rapiers, scimitars, falchions etc...) set crit. range from 18 to 20. Weapons get checks on 18, 19, 20. Description reads 18-20. Changed kukris from 19-20 weapons to 18-20 weapons.

This protos contains the one-handed Katana mod, and should be compatible with the Co8 patch and mod.

*Back up your protos before installing*. Unzip to TOEE/data/rules. overwrite existing file after backing up to separate folder.

edit: forgot to mention that weapons modified by the craft arms/armor feat don't appear to be affected by changes in the protos.tab. So your +2 flamestrike greatsword won't get an expanded range unless you craft it after installing these changes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  2. Barthes

Barthes Member

Something weird happened when I downloaded this to test it. I was able to sort it out, but it's not as simple as it should be. If you have problems let me know.

easy fix: after clicking the download link I get this file name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=2915

change this to:

protos.zip

then extract. enjoy! please test and offer feedback, suggestions etc...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  3. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Good job with the mod.

Now, finally - swords with beautiful threat ranges can do some actual damage!

4. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

exitium you want to test this and mkae sure it works with the Co8 patch. If it does I'll add to tools thread :D. You'd prob know how to test it quiker than me.

5. seraglio

seraglio Member

question

So when you go to enchant these items that already have keen attribute can you still add "+3" enchantments?

In other words keen is an enchantment. Can I now only add 2 enchantments (like 1 icy burst or +1 AND flaming) or can I still add 3 "enchantments", say +1 and axiomatic, or +1, flame , and shock, and still keep keen properties?

What happens if you add keen in craft arms and armor to a weapon that already has it twice?

Also if I am reading you right in the protos.tab each addtion of the KEEN attribute adds +1 to the threat range. Has anyone played with the bonuses with the attribute? Like when you add a to hit bonus you have (2,0) (I cant remember what fields were called, bonus parameter or something, know there are 2 both of which are 0 by default). Maybe incrementing one of these will increase threat range on its own. Just an idea.

Do the other attributes stack also? Can you add icy burst twice for instance if you do it in protos? You cant with craft arms and armor I know so I am surprised to see anything stack.

6. Barthes

Barthes Member

good question. I hadn't thought to test that, but I can later (have the flu now...ugh).

There is room for four enhancements altogether, so the 18-20 weapons would be limited to 2 enhancements unless your idea about modifying the bonus parameter (or whatever it's called, I can't remember either) pans out.

I was surprised to see the two attributes stack too. They shouldn't, but then again the fricking ranges should just work right in the first place.

I wonder if the developers meant to limit in-game crafting to 3 enhancements or if that's another bug. The whole arms/armor crafting system seems buggy as hell. I CTD if I sneeze on the mouse.

I'll test the crafting and parameter stuff out. maybe tonight, prob. tomorrow.

edit:
    according to zhuge's post in the other thread, the in-game keen enhancement doesn't do anything but change the description. I'll retest, to be sure.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  7. seraglio

seraglio Member

questions

Well I can answer my own question on stacking.

Multiple IcyBursts do stack. With the increased threat range it can get pretty scary=).

I also tested the sword of life stealing. It does nothing on a crit =(

I should have the answer to my own question on enchanting Keen items soon if you dont.

8. Barthes

Barthes Member

unfortunately, editing the bonus type parameter for keen doesn't seem to have any affect.

testing with falchions, I removed one of the two keens and added 2 to the first parameter. 19 and 20 still hit, but no dice on 18.
    changed to 2 in first and 0 in second. still nothing on 18. hmmm...maybe I should try 1 and 1. or 2 and 2.

I'll do that tomorrow, if I kill one more giant frog tonight I'm going to puke.

9. seraglio

seraglio Member

results on enchanting keen weapons

Here are my results with enchanting KEEN weapons.

I first altered masterwork katana's to be keen (one instance only):
    weapon masterwork
    weapon keen

I also tried enchanting my bards custom made rapier, Sharpwit, that has the following attributes:

weapon masterwork
    to hit bonus (2,0)
    weapon keen
    weapon keen
    weapon keen
    weapon keen

The results with both items, strangely, were the same.

When I used a leveled up cleric to enchant EITHER item I found that there was an "invisible" placeholder enchantment on the weapon. I could add +1, then ANY enchantment I knew how to add, regardless of whether it was a +1 or +2 enchantment. I chose HOLY. After exiting and re-entering the craft arms and armor interface the weapons showed:

+1

Holy
    The space above is on purpose. There is an invisible placeholder there. So apparently adding KEEN takes up a crafting "Slot" if you will. There are only 3 slots available. You CANNOT for instance create:
    +1
    Frost
    Shock

Because KEEN is using one of your "slots".

On the positive side KEEN does not limit the number of +'s, since you can still make +1 and Holy, which is +3. In fact after I make this item, in the craft arms and armor interface it indicates the weapon can be enchanted further. I can select the +2 enchantment for instance, but it wont add it when I click the arrows, because it already has all 3 crafting slots filled.

Also it doesnt appear to matter how many instances of KEEN show up, it takes just one "slot".

I suspect you could fill all 11 bonus slots in the protos file and still add 2 enchantments of your choice in the craft arms and armor interface.

10. seraglio

seraglio Member

More test results

Played around a little more with enchanting already enchanted items.

It turns out that KEEN does show up as added in the right side of the craft arms and armor screen if the crafter has Keen Edge spell. It only shows up as a blank space if the crafter doesnt know the spell. It is properly identified as Keen and uses one slot regardless of how many times it was added in the protos.

Something weird i noticed. I enchanted the Flametongue sword in the game with both flame and Fiery burst. Not only could I add both of these, but they stacked in addition to the Flametongues native fire damage, 1d6x3 damage every hit, 1d10x2 on crits. Like others I was limited to 2 additional slots.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  11. Barthes

Barthes Member

Thanks for all the testing Seraglio :)

I noticed while testing that I made a couple errors in the original workaround posted above. Both are near the bottom of the page in the protos.tab. One scimitar was only given keen once. Another was given the second keen in a parameter slot instead of a type slot IIRC. I'll fix it and update the link when I get back from work in about 6-7 hours.

If you already dloaded, don't sweat it. you can either fix it yourself with phalyzr's nifty editor, or just dont worry about it, you prob. won't encounter those weapons in a normal game anyway. I think, I hope...anyway.

12. Barthes

Barthes Member

It's fixed now. Unfortunately, the two I flubbed are the basic scimitar and the +1 scimitar. :(

Our Host!