A proposal from left field

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Apr 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I have figured out how ToEE uses Bink video for its cinematics (not exactly a major achievement, but look at who's posting here ;) ) and I'm now able to exploit the system by deconstructing the videos and reconstructing them with basically anything one might want to put in there. This is something that might be unique to me, as I'm something of a video guy - got all the software, etc., and a fair amount of know-how.

Would the Co8 be interested in an opening cinematic that is essentially a credit roll for the various modders? I realize this sounds rather egotistic, but I personally feel that Co8's efforts have been HUGE and have changed the game to such an extent that it is basically a different game. Plus, the cinematic would not neccesarily have to be gaudy; it could be a simple text roll over a picture of the temple or something with some ToEE music in the background, for example.

The process would be simple: I would hijack one of the opening credit videos (Atari, Troika, WotC . . .) and replace it with the Co8 creation. Then, upon game launch, you'd see a Co8 splash screen. But . . .

Major downside: while Bink video seems to be one of the least size-intensive video formats out there, the file would still be large. In fact, uncompressed, it might multiply the size of the modpack by ten or so. A thirty second video file would be about 10 MB in size.

Could it be compressed . . . or could we move to disribute the mod pack via CD?

If all this seems silly, just let me know. I just thought I'd offer since the many other contributions here have been so great. :)

Let me know what you think.

gaear

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I don't know if you've ever used the vicks and wedge mod, but they modified the game loading splash, put dodgy pictures of Vivi from FFIX all over it! They also added some text to the Atari quality assurance page of the end credits! (see attached)

Attached Files:

3. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

I think if the mod gets big, distribute it via bittorrent. I think everyone here has a broadband connection, or access to one. Bittorrent is great, its how I get all my Linux distros.

-Firestrand

Our Host!