A cheaper way to identify potions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fenril, Jun 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fenril

Fenril Member

Do you guys know another way to identify potions ?
    I can use the spell or shop facility, but both cost 1OO GP. I am ok to pay this price for powerful items, but not for mere potions !

I picked the "Brew Potions" feat, but it doesn't seem to help. Moreover, my rogue as a appraise skill of 16 and he is still enable to identify potions (he perfectly identifies other items though).

Does anybody know anything about this ?

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

You can use the Read Magic cantrip to identify potions. This was added by Co8 a long time ago as a compensation for not having an Alchemy skill.

There is also a 7th level Wiz spell (that I can't remember the name of) which identifies every item on the person it is cast on. Very handy when you have a whole backpack full of potions and other goodies looted from Temple bugbears...

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Erkper
    The spell is "Analyze Dweomer" and according to d20srd is actually 6th level, not 7th.
    TRC

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Thanks, TRC. I remembered the name about two minutes after I posted, but didn't want to go back and edit the name in.

Is it 6th level in ToEE? I kinda remembered it as a 7th level spell... :shrug:

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Erkper
    I'm not certain, but like you, I think it's a 7th Level spell in ToEE. I personally wouldn't use it for identifying potions though. I would use it as a "Mass Identify" spell for Identifying rings, wands, and the like. I usually have someone craft a "Helm of Read Magic" so I can (relatively) quickly identify all the potions and scrolls that I find.
    TRC

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a 6th level spell in ToEE.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Hell, by the time you get to that level, identifying things is the least of your problems. Read magic came with 3.0.4 years ago and by 11th level the spellcasters have wands for such things and lot's of read magic slots.

8. Fenril

Fenril Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Our Host!