New content removal mod/patch

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Apr 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Less New Content Patch

Due to popular demand: The Less New Content Patch.

It is a TFE-X compatible Addon Pack for the Co8 5.0.0 Module.

The goal is to remove much of the new Co8 content while retaining the fixes.

I've basically deleted/reverted a bunch of spawn scripts, some dialogue nodes, etc, so most/all the major new content that was introduced in Co8 is gone. Some of the lesser changes have been reverted as well.

NB: It's a 80/20 compromise between a strict fixes-only patch and the Co8 5.0.5 mod. The protos.tab file (<->monster stats), AI, shop inventories, spell selection, etc., are only partially restored.
    Therefore, if you are an absolute purist, this isn't for you, try the Co8 3.0.4 module, or the vanilla version, instead.

For a full changelog, see the text file inside the archive.

Download it here .

Installation instructions:

1. Follow these installation instructions up to step 5 (and step 6 if you also want the latest Co8 module that also features more new content - won't interfere with this module)
    2. If you haven't already, download the frontend: TFE-X
    3. Download the Co8 5.0.0 module and extract it to the ToEE main folder.
    4. Extract the Add-on rar file to the ToEE main folder (this will create the necessary addon folders for you).
    5. Run TFE-X.
    6. Activate the Co8 5.0.0 Module.
    7. Click the Add-on button and install LNCP (see attached image)
    8. Play.

NB:

• You must download the Co8 5.0.0 module from here, and not from ModDB!
      The reason being that the modDB features the non-TFE-X version of the module, while the patch has been converted to the new TFE-X format.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Interesting ...

Can I ask how you determined what should stay and what should go? Part of the 'problem' with the notion of a bigfixes only patch is that everyone's got a different opinion about what that should be, so I would expect that a compromise effort will still be widely criticized, unfortunately.

Also, have you tested all this stuff to be sure it works as intended? There seems to be a lot of potential for oversight in there, particularly given ToEE's niggly nature.

I don't know that anyone around here is going to be able to offer support for this at this time (my own plate is full, for example), so I hope you don't have any problem with calling it 'Sitra's New Content Removal Patch' and supporting it yourself. If that's so, and if the patch is shown to work without problems, I don't think we'd have any issues with advocating it here, as well as hosting it prominantly.

More opinions would be good on this, as it's a fairly major shift in direction for Co8 material.

[edit]

I can already think of some custom non-bugfix content that doesn't appear to have been removed, such as new NPC audio and new skins and weapons for starters ...

Hope I don't come off as critical about this. It's just that it's been sort of a hotbutton issue here for the last while and all.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  3. Sitra Achara

I just compiled a list of things that either had a big impact on game balance (HB, Verbobonc, etc.), seemed silly/out of place/obviously modded in (Handgun, Ah Fong, guillotine blade, Burne's puzzles, prebuffs) or were just otherwise criticised (lightning trap, lock DCs...). I then narrowed down the list to what could be removed easily (by me) and went with it. There were also many smaller changes that were reverted along the way - 'targets of oppurtunity', so to speak.

I've done some testing, but not as thoroughly as I'd like, given the scope of the changes.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry, Sitra, you've sort of caught us on the hop here. As Gaear says, we've been debating this idea a lot behind closed doors lately and never came to a complete consensus, so we have all the "but did you think of THIS?" issues on the tips of our tongues. Ultimately we'd be supportive of something like this.
    Rather than yanking the handgun, you should probably just yank the whole Moathouse Respawn.

5. Salk

Salk Established Member

This is interesting and I am sure it is going to bring up many discussions as it's on the line "this should not be part of the Co8 Patch" of old days.

What I can personally say is this:

- My impression (but I might be wrong, I am speaking of instinct here) is that the latest Co8 release (5.0.5) is in rather big need of being "refined". When I have last played (example) there were missing portarits in Verbobonc (to say one thing, but the issues were several).

- Some changes stood out quite some and contributed to loosen my immersion in the game as player.

- Summarizing this: a new 6.0.0 would be a great thing. The readme file needs some work. Mostly in the area where it should state clearly what bugs (some even game breaking like I painly found out myself) are still there and can't be dealt with. Some file cleanings would be necessary and I realize that it's difficult to do it when and if the original contributors have suspended their modding activity here.

Said that, Co8 5.0.5 patch gave me so many positive vibrations ( :heart: ) and I can but thank all people involved in it, particularly Alex for being always there to support me.

I hope to see more of this in the future and I will be ready to start ToEE once again!

6. Salk

Salk Established Member

I am interested in learning a little more about "pre-buffs".

Are we speaking of enemies that make a "smarter" use of their abilities?

7. Gaear

Pre-buffs refer to the custom Livonya modification of getting NPC spellcasters to cast buffing spells before entering combat. This is usually done while an NPC is talking, and it's intended to compensate for the fact that NPC spellcasters never do this otherwise, while PCs do it all the time. Quite unfair, really.

Got your ear to the ground, don't you ... :roll:

Fixing those kinds of things and removing custom content are two entirely different things, incidentally.

8. Salk

Salk Established Member

Hm... Interesting discussion this one about prebuffing.

It would maybe deserve its own topic. I guess we can think of different player categories here: there are some that don't prebuff their party and just challenge enemies "on the fly" while others, mostly those deep into metagaming, prepare a tactical encounter with extreme care to maximize the chances of success.

So NPC prebuffind is probably more a taste issues. For some players it might make fights too hard while for others it might just feel just good.

Personally, I would not want to see the pre-buffing removed.

But I read through other removed bits and I happen to agree with the most of them.

9. Sitra Achara

Well, that's exactly what I did.

As for the prebuffs, most of them involve spellcasters casting protective spells that have long durations. Smart adventurers usually do the same. It's hardly metagaming when you go into the Moathouse or the Temple buffed with Mage Armor or other long lasting spells. It would be metagaming to go buffed into an ambush, or go into a room buffed with short-duration spells without having scouted it first.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  10. Salk

Salk Established Member

Well, then I am confused. Haven't you removed those pre-buffs? If they sound so reasonable to you as well then, why remove them?

11. Gaear

Because prebuffing is new content. The intent of the patch is to remove new content.

12. Salk

Salk Established Member

Oh okay then.

I'd install it if it was not for the pre-buffs removal.

Is there a (easy) way to exclude those from the patch?

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhh, the fun begins...

Since this is Sitra's effort its his call, but a 'no new content' rule will have to be all or nothing or people will very quickly go mad.

14. Salk

Salk Established Member

I have no problem to accept a simple "No. Either you take it like it is or do not install it" from Sitra Achara though I'd hope for another answer.

15. Sitra Achara

Here is the Co8 5.0.5 patch modified to remove new content (this is still a patch for Co8 5.0.0).

Co8 5.0.5 with less new content

As for Salk's question, no, this does not and will not include the prebuffs. And just to be clear, I am not going to make a custom tailored version for anyone who asks (but feel free to make suggestions - maybe I'll agree and do what you suggest).

And like I said, it's an 80/20 compromise between a strict fixes only game and the full Co8 5.0.5 mod. Meaning, most new major content is removed, and a good bunch of the more minor changes/additions as well, while retaining most/all the fixes up to Co8 5.0.5. I absolutely do not claim this to be a meticulously thorough removal of every single bit of new content, nor do I intend to waste my time striving for that.

If you're curious to see what is removed, this includes:

• Hickory Branch
    • Verbobonc
    • Moathouse Respawn
    • Moathouse Ambush
    • Desparate Housewives quest
    • New Hommlet quests
    • Lareth's subplot
    • Traders' escape and revenge
    • Spellcaster NPC prebuffs
    • Lock on Lareth's diary
    • New encounters at the Deklo that replaced Hommlet Goblin (Goblin is back)
    • Orc Cave quest
    • Kids
    • Skeleton Priest encounter
    • Ronald, the new Cleric NPC
    • Ah Fong's shop
    • Special abilities for demons and monsters
    • Burne's puzzles
    • Lubash goes back to non-raging AI
    • Several monsters' stats were reverted to Vanilla version
    • Some dialogue skill checks and chest DCs reverted to vanilla

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
Our Host!