The Circle of Eight front end utility, TFE-X, requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) v1.7.0 (also known as Java 7) or higher to run. Most modern systems will have this installed. To check if it's installed on your system, go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and look for 'Java.' Both the standard Oracle package and the open source OpenJDK are fully supported. If you are on Microsoft Windows, you can download Java at this URL: http://java.com/getjava
. If you are on Linux, your distro repository should contain a version of Java (e.g. OpenJDK) that you can use.
The Circle of Eight modpack is compatable with all retail versions of ToEE, including the boxed, jewel case, Anthology, and Good Old Games download versions. The Anthology and Good Old Games versions of ToEE come fully patched. You don't need to add any Atari patches.
STEP 1: INSTALL ATARI PATCH 1
STEP 2: INSTALL ATARI PATCH 2
- If your version of ToEE is not pre-patched, install Atari Patch 1. It is available here: TOEE OFFICIAL PATCH 1
STEP 3: DO NOT INSTALL ATARI PATCH 3
- If your version of ToEE is not pre-patched, install Atari Patch 2. It is available here: TOEE OFFICIAL PATCH 2
STEP 4: INSTALL THE CIRCLE OF EIGHT MODPACK
- There is no need to install Atari Patch 3. The only additional feature Atari Patch 3 contains is a fix for the infamous DirectX 9.0c looting bug, but this particular issue is also fixed by the Circle of Eight modpack. If you have installed patch 3 already or if your game comes pre-patched with Atari Patch 3, dont worry. It doesn't matter.
STEP 5: IF YOU ARE INSTALLING AN ADD-ON MODULE
- The Circle of Eight Modpack is available here:
- Double click the Circle of Eight Modpack Setup utility to begin installation. When prompted to choose an installation location, make sure to select the location where your game is installed. The default location as defined by the Circle of Eight Modpack is C:/Temple of Elemental Evil. If you are using a modern operating system like Windows 7 or 8, it is best to avoid installing to the Program Files directory, as those operating systems may not allow unrestricted access there. The Circle of Eight Modpack and Installation Utility require unrestricted access. The default installation location for most versions of ToEE is generally in Program Files. We recommend you change this and install to the root directory of your C: drive.
- Follow all on-screen promps. After the modpack has been deployed, the Circle of Eight front end utility, TFE-X, will automatically launch.
- If this is a new installation, TFE-X will perform the necessary operations to convert your installation for use with the Circle of Eight Modpack. Be patient; this can take some time. When TFE-X is finished, it will report the status to you in a popup window. IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS POPUP NOTIFICATION WINDOW, THE CONVERSION IS NOT COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW. Next, select the Circle of Eight Modpack from the TFE-X menu and click 'activate.' This can also take some time. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW TO TELL YOU THAT THE MODULE ACTIVATION IS COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. After the module has been activated, you may customize various options through TFE-X and launch the game.
- If this is an existing installation to which you are simply adding the Circle of Eight Modpack, simply select the Circle of Eight Modpack from the TFE-X menu and click 'activate.' This can also take some time. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW TO TELL YOU THAT THE MODULE ACTIVATION IS COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. After the module has been activated, you may customize various options through TFE-X and launch the game.
- Version 4 of TFE-X will give you feedback on the progress of conversion and module activation. Pay attention to this feedback and do not interrupt any of TFE-X's operations.
- If you are installing an add-on module like a patch or some other specialized mod, double click its setup utility and follow all on-screen promps. Be sure to select the correct game directory as detailed above in Step 4. Launch TFE-X after installation, click Add-On Packs, select the add-on pack you want to install, and click install. WAIT OUT THE INSTALLATION.
- The module that you are adding the add-on pack to must be activated and selected in the TFE-X module menu prior to activating the add-on pack.
- You may only have one add-on pack activated at a time.