Circle of Eight Forum

Go Back   Circle of Eight Forum > Modding > General Modification

Notices

General Modification Here there be modders! In these hallowed halls, you'll find a wealth of ToEE modding info.

Old October 1st, 2003   #1
Vaevictis666
Zombie

Circle of Eight ToEE Mod Version 1.0.0 Released!

THE UNOFFICIAL PATCH

The Circle of Eight Group would like you to take a look at a mod we've put together. It's mostly bug fixes (Bad ATARI, Bad. No cookie for you!). There is also a little bit of custom content, but not much, as we want everyone to be able to get advantage of the fixes, without forcing our design ideas.
(We wanted a stable environment and a happier community, before attempting any signifigant modding/new adventures, that we will of course offer you soon )
(We also spent some time building our own tools)

These fixes were all accomplished by editing text files in notepad (or VI ), and brought into the game through something Troika built into the game (but didn't mention) : an 'override' directory. By placing these files in the proper location, one can adjust most 'data' aspects of the game.

If you've happened to somehow install any earlier files (released as zip files) from our group, you should remove them prior to installing this patch, which uses a proper install routine.

As this is the first public release, we're calling it 1.0.0. Future dev and public builds will build off of this version number. Any version with only two numbers (most notably 1.3 and 1.4) are now obsolete

NOTE : The NPC's looting has been fixed, but NPC's you have ALREADY hired WON'T be fixed. So you need to change them for other NPC's or start a new game if you don't want to.

Spell Fixes
  • All known (to us) Scroll bugs have been addressed (bugs preventing scribing, scribing at the wrong level, or didn't do what was advertised (Fox's Cunning != aid) (Except Hold Portal. Don't ask us about Hold Portal, ask Troika, We can't fix it.) (All Hold Portal scrolls magically transformed into Grease. All references to Hold Portal removed for confusion sake.)
  • All cleric domains but Air are fixed. (Air is bugged majorly, maybe a typo in toee.exe linkage?)
  • Fixed the damage problems with Flame Strike ... Now correctly does 1d6 * Spell Caster Level (1/2 Fire and 1/2 Divine Damage.)
  • Chill touch no longer has unlimited # of uses.
  • Read Magic will Identify Potions and Scrolls.
  • Burne no longer gets summon monster V at 4th level
  • Improved chances of 'permanency' bug not ocurring with touch based spells
  • Improved chances of 'permanency' bug not ocurring with Silence, Web, Soften Earth & Stone and Spike Growth spells
  • Cure/Inflict line of spells was incorrectly calculating values. Was adding the caster level to the die size(i.e. lvl 5 cleric uses 1d13). Now correctly rolls and adds caster level

Item Fixes

Wands
  • Numerous problems resolved with wands..(including the 10 lb wand bug, can't craft it, and wrong spell bugs)
Misc Magic/regular Items
  • All magic items that were previously un-craftable are now craftable. (Bands Intelligence, etc.)
  • Chainmail Boots and Gloves are no longer considered "medium" armor, and therefore will not slow you down while wearing them.
  • Cloaks of Resistance +2 and +3 now correctly give +2, and +3 bonus to saves
  • Masterwork Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
  • Pre-existing Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
  • Crafted +1 Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
  • Masterwork/Magic Weapons now apply Weapon Finesse correctly.
  • MasterWork Items are now "purchasable" from the blacksmith.
  • Dust of Disapearence is now worth 3.5 DMG value rather then 0 Gold.
  • All potions now work correctly.

New/Modified Items For "Craft Misc. Magic" (using standard 3.5 ed Statistics)
  • Bracers of Armor +1, +2, +4
  • Cloak of Archanidia
  • Circlet of Blasting, Minor
  • Wand of Magic Missiles has been broken up into Wand of MM (2),(3) and (5). You have to be level 3, 5, and 9 to make them,respectively.
  • Hands of Fire (5/- fire redist, Burning Hands 1x Day)
  • Hands of Cold (5/- cold resist, Chill Touch 1x Day)
  • Hands of Electricity (5/- elec reist, Shocking Grasp 1x Day)
  • Hands of Life (+1 fort save, cure light 1x day)
  • Hands of Death (+1 will asve, inflict light 1x day)
  • Ioun Stones added. (When will developers learn? All games are better with Ioun Stones.)
  • Sword of Megadeath (10d10 + 10) has been added to Craft Misc. The prerequisite is Hold Portal. (laugh it's funny)
    (Edit: -- Remove above before release, no one laughed)

New/Modified Items For "Craft Rod" (using standard 3.5 ed Statistics)
  • White Rod, Minor
  • White Rod
  • Grey Rod, Minor
  • Grey Rod
  • Black Rod, Minor
  • Black Rod
  • Staff of the Transmuter
  • Staff of Defense

Other fixes
  • Detailed Feat Hover Descriptions have been added.
  • Ingame Help files updated to reflect fixing of Cleric Domains (except Air).
  • NPC's demand an equal share of gold and no more, despite what their dialog will say. Furthermore, you can exchange equipment with them as well. They will not give up their money, though.
  • Re-enablement of the "Brothel" Map, NPC's, quest, and companion.
  • The Brothel was removed in the late stages of development. (Maybe because they ran out of time, and were unable to finish it?) New dialog choices have been added into Mona's conversation tree to access it.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Direct Download:
http://www.hiredgoons.net/ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V1_0_0.exe
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~hunsley/fil...xes_V1_0_0.exe
http://www.system-override.com/ToEE_...xes_V1_0_0.exe
http://www.seranian.com/ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V1_0_0.exe
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze77du1/T...xes_V1_0_0.exe

Enjoy everybody,
The Circle of Eight crew

Last edited by Vaevictis666; October 1st, 2003 at 11:57 PM.
Vaevictis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003   #2
LDones
Skeleton

Ahhhh, we've been waiting for this. Phenomenal work, all of you.

If you need any extra mirrors I'm more than willing to provide ftp/http space/traffic @ hiredgoons.net. PM me if the need arises.

I did quite a bit of Morrowind modding, a large deal of which was 'fix' mods for game bugs and inconsistencies - it makes me hugely happy to see another game community coming together in order to make a great game truly excellent. So Bravo to you, Dhoom, Indio, Nomad, Chris Woods, Exitium and everybody else.
Old October 1st, 2003   #3
Vaevictis666
Zombie

LDones, thanks for the offer, I think we're good - 4 hosts with decently large bandwidth, and the file is only 750k. But if you want to mirror go ahead and post linkage
Old October 2nd, 2003   #4
Hiro Nogano
Skeleton

Thank You!!

Gentlemen (I assume),

Thank you very much for all your hard work. I truly enjoy this game, and you are making it even better. I salute you all.
Old October 2nd, 2003   #5
Kizmiaz
Skeleton

Thank you guys. I'm really grateful. (Hope i'm still is after instalation.)
Old October 2nd, 2003   #6
Visceris
Skeleton

YEEEEEEEAAAAH!

This sounds really really good. I will download this ASAP.
Visceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #7
Daxamar
Skeleton

Yeee-Haaaaw! Woot Woot Woot.

Dax, and now we return you to our regular programing :tv:

Congrats, and many tahnks to all of you! Woot.

( Ok, enough blathring spamm)
Daxamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #8
Sol Invictus
Beholder Watcher
Veteran

Added another mirror:
http://www.hiredgoons.net/ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V1_0_0.exe
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #9
Drax
Skeleton

Sweeeeeet! Thanks guys!! Now it's finaly time for me to get into some serious ToEE'age...
:tv:
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #10
habscape
Skeleton

I've been lurking and following all your progress. Congratulations and a heartfelt thanks to you from me. I am so eager to see what else your endeavers can bring to this release, before and after the Troika/Atari patch.

And now on to some awesome D&D tactical play, and a lot more positive energy on the Atari forum. I'm sure the Troika gods are watching.... and smiling.

Congrats!

Travis
habscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #11
Spoon
Skeleton

Excellent work guys! You've made an already great game that much better. Your efforts are truly appreciated!
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #12
reddog00
Skeleton

Thumbs up

Way to go all of you modders. Many in the gaming community owe a big thanks to all of you for your dedication and hard work to make this game better. It is very much appreciated. :D

Control is an illusion!
reddog00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #13
Mr. Underhill
The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks. And there's still more to come.
Old October 2nd, 2003   #14
Destro
Skeleton

Gracias Senors
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #15
Sol Invictus
Beholder Watcher
Veteran

The day has only just begun.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #16
corwin
Skeleton

Thanks guys, most appreciated.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #17
juv3nal
Skeleton

haven't had time to play with the patch installed yet, but thanks in advance for all your hard work.
juv3nal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #18
Qball
Skeleton

Thumbs up

I've been lurking around since the conception of this project. I just want to say thanks for the hard work and dedication. I can't wait to see what you guys come with next.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #19
zhuge
Hobgoblin
Veteran

A big thank you for a most timely patch for ToEE. Your dedication and diligence is much appreciated.
zhuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #20
reddog00
Skeleton

Talking Mr. Underhill

You are welcome. It is justified big time (for all the modders)!!!

PS: Love your title...ROFL....Arcane Toiletries! What did you go for first the "Flaming Charmin" or the "Poisonous Pampers". What a gutbuster....lol!!!

Control is an illusion!
reddog00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #21
darkfae
Skeleton

I, too, wish to add my thanks to everyone who worked on putting together this patch.

I appreciate your time, effort and dedication a great deal. I look forward to what you might gift us with in the future.
darkfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #22
Azira
Skeleton

Talking Wheeeee

Yay! Thanks to you wonderful people, I get to play the game patched!
I just knew there had to be some perks to living in Europe and getting the game a couple of weeks later than most others..

Thanks!

Oh, and just to see if I understood it correctly, with this patch installed, I shouldn't bother with the mods you've put up earlier (brothel mod, some spell/item fixes and the no-fog Hommlet/Nulb mod)?
Azira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #23
Phalzyr
Kobold
Veteran

The brothel and I'm sure the spell fixes are *browses dir* but I don't see the fogless part.... seems like my fix I just submitted them isn't either. Female Prisoners one(nothing major just to make them disappear). Oh well next version. BTW who built this one? I installed it to a temp directory copied it elwhere and click on exe again but unlike last ones I had to go into add/remove programs to uninstall instead of just clicking exe.
Old October 2nd, 2003   #24
Rayder
Skeleton

Thank you for the patch!

After reading about the many bugs this game had, I decided to wait for some kind of patch before I started playing through it(patient ain't I?). It sounds like many of the most glaring problems were fixed using this patch. I can start playing TOEE now! Cool! Thanks again!
Rayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #25
Vaevictis666
Zombie

Quote:
Originally posted by Phalzyr
The brothel and I'm sure the spell fixes are *browses dir* but I don't see the fogless part.... seems like my fix I just submitted them isn't either. Female Prisoners one(nothing major just to make them disappear). Oh well next version. BTW who built this one? I installed it to a temp directory copied it elwhere and click on exe again but unlike last ones I had to go into add/remove programs to uninstall instead of just clicking exe.
You should just install it straight to your ToEE install directory. Whatever directory you installed it to, it should create a file called unins000.exe, this is the mod uninstaller. If you don't want to go to Add/Remove Programs, just double click that and it should zip away.
Old October 2nd, 2003   #26
Phalzyr
Kobold
Veteran

Yes, I know that Its just the 1.3 version I click the exe to install and it would detect if it had already been installed and ask to repair or remove. That was a nice feature though one I wouldn't use but looked nice anyway just was wondering why this version didn't have it.

I installed into a empty directory so I could see what was altered and such, and have a "clean" dir, just in case I end up helping fix some other stuff.
Old October 2nd, 2003   #27
Ch1ck3nL0v3r
Skeleton

Thank You!!!

You all deserve a big round of applause from the rest of us here. I have been lurking following the action, and I cant wait to get home and install the patch.

Thanks for all your hard work folks.
Ch1ck3nL0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003   #28
Phalzyr
Kobold
Veteran

a temp fix until next version comes out fo those having issues when mousing over the meta magic feat when in the metamagic feat screen.

http://www.kasec.org/feat.mes

just overwrite thiers

I'd ctd if anything was over 210 chars.
Old October 3rd, 2003   #29
Thomas_Stockheim
Skeleton

Is it possible that this patch breaks some high-end enemies ?
I did not get the Iuz/Cuthbert thing when killing the supreme commander - did not know something was wrong until I read some spoilers after finishing the game.
Later on when killing the balor, he did not use any spells at all - no fear or charm, he just meleed. I tried without the patch ( because of some unrelated bug getting me stuck in the plane of fire), and he started to cast fear and lots of other things.
Maybe changes to spells broke the spelllist of mobs ?
Thomas_Stockheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003   #30
Starbuck
Skeleton

Re: Circle of Eight ToEE Mod Version 1.0.0 Released!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaevictis666
[*]NPC's demand an equal share of gold and no more, despite what their dialog will say. Furthermore, you can exchange equipment with them as well. They will not give up their money, though.
Does Elmo still only take a half-share?

Oh and BTW...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote