Compatibility between ToEE Co8 patch and anti-virus programs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nyarlathotep, Mar 16, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, I had to totally uninstal Avira antivirus before I could play. Now, I was sort-of pleased of Avira, but after my un-install, my laptop is acting as though someone has cast "Haste" on it... o_O wow o_O
    Now, even though I would like to keep the outstanding performances my little 'puter now has, I know going on the net without an antivirus is folly...
    Now, does someone know of a -free- anti-virus who does not see toee.exe as a threat or which does not dump the "temple.dll" in it's secret stach? Because that's what Avira does...

So...

Good Antivirus: AVG, Avast, Norton 360 (Internet Security) ,

Bad antivirus: Avira, MacAfee, Comodo

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

AVG Free. Add to exceptions once and forget about it.

What does Avrira say about temple.dll specifically, if I may ask? I haven't heard of that being added to the zOMG virus list.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I use Avast and didn't have to do anything at all, it completely ignores TOEE.exe, and I use the no-cd.

Of course, that could mean Avast isn't very thorough in doing it's job...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. Gaear

We all use the no-cd now erkper ... it's been part of the modpack ever since GoG included it in their ToEE release. :)

(which also means you don't need to patch it independantly.)

Anyway that's two - AVG Free and Avast. We should have made a list like this from the get-go.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Lol, see what I miss when I take a year off?

I did not know GOG did that. I'd swear I installed the no-cd after the modpack on my current setup, maybe I fouled up my own advice and did it after the patches, before the modpack.

6. Gaear

Well you could certainly do that at any stage but it really wouldn't affect anything. If you did it before installing the mod, ours would just overwrite it anyway. And if you did it after, it would be overwriting ours with the same one basically.

Being able to finally have it in the modpack has dramatically lessened our problems at any rate, because now everybody automatically plays with the correct .exe. :) The only downside has been this damn antivirus snafu.

7. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Damn, I didn't pay close enough attention when Avira was shouting out "Virus detected!". So can't remember what the exact message was about the .dll, sorry.

8. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Please would someone be able to help we with this AVG exceptions list???

I have looked under advanced options>anti-rootkit>exceptions and allowed files under identification and in the virus vault section but can find no indication of the blocked files I should be excepting (the anti-rootkit exceptions section talks about checksums - I understand these as a concept but would have no idea as how to calculate one in practice)

I am running XP (instead of Vista and Norton 360) for much better pc behaviour

I installed ToEE from fresh via cd-rom, ran patches 1 and 2 and then the 7.1NC executable which failed to finish at the front end stage

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated - Thank you

PS I have now found the exceptions list under anti-virus (Reactive Shield) and have added the files ToEE.exe, TFE-X.exe and temple.dll to this exceptions list but
    still not managed to get the front end to work....

PPS I have removed TFE-X.exe and temple.dll from exceptions list

Error message still reads: "TFE-X.exe Application Error

The application failed to initialise properly (0xC0000135) Click on OK to terminate application"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. Gaear

Do you have the file 'toee.exe' in your root directory? You may need to reinstall the game if AVG got to toee.exe before you added it as an exception. I think TFE-X will fail to launch if there is no ToEE executable or .dll found in your root directory.

btw nyarlathotep, you can add MacAfee and Comodo to your list as known 'bad' antivirus software.

10. Pygmy

toee.exe had to be in the ToEE root directory in order for me to select it in the Reactive Shield exceptions screen -do you think AVG could have nobbled it anyway?

Thank you

I checked toee.exe is indeed in root directory

11. Gaear

I don't think that's necessarily so. The exceptions list, AFAIK, just points to a location and says, "if such and such file is found here, ignore it." At least when I added it, I did it manually via the AVG interface, not by a right-click context menu on the file itself or anything like that.

At any rate if you could just look in your root directory ('Temple Of Elemental Evil,' wherever that is) and see if it's there that would answer our questions.

Okay thanks. What about temple.dll?

12. Pygmy

temple.dll is in the root directory too - however it has a most peculiar creation date attached to it 17:23 on 25/5/2068 [sorry about UK date format]

13. Gaear

Okay. If as you say the 7.1NC executable failed to finish at the front end stage, you should probably uninstall and reinstall everything and try it again.

14. Pygmy

I am beginning to think there is more to this than AVG

I uninstalled ToEE and 7.1 NC

Installed raw ToEE from cd-rom (temple.dll dated 2068 still)

Added temple.dll to exclusions list

Ran toee.exe - game started ok

ran Atari patch 1

ran Atari patch 2

Ran toee.exe - game started but exhibited traditional quit problem

Added entire c:\programs\atari\Temple of Elemental Evil path to exclusions list

Ran 7.1NC executable with same effect as before

I have a vague feeling it might be related to the XP operating system - Co8 worked perfectly with Vista/Norton 360 but unfortunately everything else works dramatically better now they're gone.

Thank you very much for all your help

15. Gaear

Don't really know what else to tell you, Pygmy. XP is actually more friendly to ToEE, not less.

Our Host!