Those "load doors"

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lava, Feb 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

I'm really wondering about "Load doors," like the one on the eastern side of the temple exterior. On the other side, my party always appears completely out of order, all too often with the most vulnerable characters closest to the enemy. It's like it's done on purpose. I assume it's hard coded, but then I have to wonder what the original designers were intending. My paladin goes first, so why is the mage in front on the other side? :p
    And... argh, that is one hell of a tough battle. I'd never even seen it before 7.0, and it's the hardest I've seen so far, even fully buffed. Although I know I *CAN* just stop opening that door and move on, so it's not a big deal. I'll come back later and deal with them. ;)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The order in which you arrive on new maps can be managed ... I think it's determined by the queue order on the bottom of the screen, not by party formations, and it's sort of wacky, like "last guys go first" or something, which is why mages always seem to lead the way.

The important thing to note is that the only position in the party queue that matters is the first one, as that will always be your party leader and oftentimes spokesperson. So whomever you want to be in charge and do the talking should always be in the first spot, but none of the others matter. So ... you could put your softies in the #2, 3 spots, etc., but still put them in the rear as far as marching goes via party formations, and then, theoretically, they would be in the middle when they arrive on new maps.

You'd have to do some experimenting to see exactly which queue spots tend toward which locations upon arrival on new maps, or wait for someone else to set it forth here. I know others have documented this before.

3. Lava

Lava Established Member

That did seem to work, in some arcane manner, but yes, it's definitely looking at them on the bottom row rather than the lineup, and I tend to go from fighters on the left to mages on the right.
    thanks, that might just revolutionize my tactics in regards to load doors. ;)

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

WOW, I never knew this and thanks guys for pointing it out.

Really, is there anything you don't know about TOEE Gaear?

5. Gaear

There is - I don't know how the RNG can randomly come up with 20 0s or 20 20s in a row. ;)

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I think that may be a cause of GiGo with whomever programmed it in the first place. :)

7. Gaear

Okay I did a little more research on this and here's what I found specifically.

Party of 8 Formation.jpg

In the image above, Mialee the wizard in brown robes is the team leader in spot 1, Aramil the sorcerer in purple robes is in spot 2, Vadania the druid in white robes is in spot 3, Devis the bard in light blue robes is in spot 4, Jozan the cleric in black robes is in spot 5, Kerwyn the rogue in dark blue robes is in spot 6, Krusk the barbarian in red robes is in spot 7, and Regdar the fighter in green robes is in spot 8.

The order goes: inner top, inner bottom, inner right, inner left, outer top, outer bottom, outer right, outer left. Of course, Troika didn't make it clockwise or counter clockwise but instead all over the place.

So you should basically put your party leader in spot 1, your squishy party members in spots 3 - 4, and your tanks in spots 5 - 8. Note that this assumes you have a party of eight and that you're landing on a map where there are no obstructions - no doubt that will not always be the case. I didn't test it but I assume that parties with fewer members would still follow the same scheme, e.g. parties of five would be positioned 1 through 5 in the schematic on the left, so the fifth member would still be on the top, set off from the rest. I guess this means that parties of 4 or fewer basically won't have any tank cushion on the outsides, but I suppose that makes sense because you don't have enough people for a cushion.

8. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

Here is the simple diagram for party formation after a map change,

Here is what I do, Rogue 1, wiz 2, cle 3, ftr 4, ftr 5,

adjust for whichever NPC's you are usingat the time,

Never place NPC as #1

Our Host!