GoG version not working with mod or at all

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rhamza, Aug 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rhamza

Rhamza Member

Good evening everyone,

I have been searching for this game for about 4 months now. I have been visiting a rather extensive used entertainment business in my city...and after 4 months have yet to find a copy of it. So I relented and bought the GoG.com version. I expected to be able to download it and play it. But apparently the game hates both of my computers. (one is running vista 32 bit, the other is win7 64bit [laptop]) Upon fresh install it gets me to the D&D loading screen after all the team logos (atari, troika, WotC), and gets to the last bit of the loading bar before crash to desktop. After all that time waiting, I thought that I got into a huge pile of mess I didn't want to deal with... so I have tried vanilla (which really is all three updates seeing as I got it from gog.com), just the temple.dll file changes (which was suggested on another page to fix this problem I am having, the 6.1.0 Co8 mod, and running in compatibility mode set to win xp sp2.

I saw someone on the gamebanshee.com forums saying that they have a fix for this, but the website doesn't want it posted on their forums for some reason. This person has been inactive for almost a year now and over the past 3 days has not responded to my PM. I also went the extra step and sent a message out to three or four of the people he did help...no response... So I am just wondering...what is the problem here?

Here is a list of things I have tried.

1. first time installing

• installed in the GOG.com file on program files (x86). Tried to play the game and it goes through all the logos and loads to the last portion of the loading bar and then crashes to the desktop. I found out that this file doesn't always work and isn't the best place to have it installed.
    • After looking around on the gog.com forums I found out that running as admin works. No avail.
    • Tried using compatibility mode (no one has said which version of windows to set this to...what version is best?) didn't work.
    • Tried changing the areas of compatibility mode. disable visual themes, disable desktop ocmposition, disable scaling on high dpi setting and everything else. still not working.
    • uninstalled

2. Second time installing

• installed directly to drive c:\\ under Games\Tales of Elemental Evil
    • tried to run as admin, same crash, same place.
    • searched around about found you guys. Installed co8 mod number 6.1.0. Follow instructions and waited until everythign was finished and it loaded onto the mod's opening program and switched over to the Mod 6.1.0 NC. same issue.
    • Went to my integrated video cards setting tab and changed everythign I could to "application rules" including anisotropic filtering, vertex processing, and vertical sync. (I have intel i5 chip mother board if that matters) didn't work.
    • Uninstalled
    3. third time installing

• Downloaded gog.com's downloader just to make sure my download wasn't corrupt, even though it goes through a check...and the first two times I was hoping that i'd get it installed earlier in case the gog.com downloader was a huge file...how was I supposed to know it was only 6mb...lol
    • Upon complete download of the game, I installed it using "run as admin" instead of just double clicking on it.
    • Ran the game once to get the cfg file added to the game folder. I changed the screen resolution in the folder called TOEE (a cfg file type) saved the resolution as 1360x768. I read on here that it is an accepted wide screen resolution. still didn't work.
    • Installed your mod, waited for it to do its magic, tried to play the game and it crashes right after the logos are displayed, no loading screen even shows up.
    • After that I change the cfg file's screen resolution to somethign else and the same thing happens.
    over all the things I have tried, which might not be very much, the loading screen sometimes will pop up, and other times it won't. sometimes it does and doesn't with nothing changed settings wise in the mod or game files. I'm not sure what that means...I have also been on your thread "how can I get toee and co8 mod up and running" but nothing there seemed to be the exact issue I was having. (I might not have listed everything, as I have been doing this for the past three days.)

If you have any advice, links, helping hands to lend, please let me know. Thank you for your time and information. :) (I'm not sure if this is the only place to post this, if it is incorrect, sorry.)

2. Rhamza

Rhamza Member

I have added the root directory into the av, spyware, and malware databases as well. turned the ones I can off, and the others in game mode, and still will not work. the programs I use are Malware bytes, PC tools spyware and av. I added them after running the game and experiencing a crash, but still no luck. I didn't find the file on the quarantine lists either. Not sure if that is important...

3. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

I use the gog.com version myself with Win7 64Bit and the CoE Mod without problems.

Do you have set a not supported resolution ?
    Try one of these:
    1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050

"the programs I use are Malware bytes, PC tools spyware and av."

A bit much for today i think. All you need is one AV like MSE, forget the hole PC tools and anti-spyware crap... ;)
    Maybe try to uninstall all the unnecessary stuff or totally disable your AV during installation.

Try a clean install of ToEE into a new directory (C:\Games).
    You should not have to run the istaller as admin or something...
    Now try it again without CoE Mod.
    If it does not run without CoE then it most likely will not run with it.

Try running the .exe in every possible compatibility mode.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Quite a few anti-virus apps kill the ToEE executable, either when it tries to launch or just through routine scans. As is noted in the pertinent sticky threads here, you may have to go so far as to uninstall the AV software to get it to stop doing this.

I use AVG Free 2011 with no problems whatsoever. You add toee.exe as an exception once and that's it.

5. Rhamza

Rhamza Member

I also forgot to mention that I have microsoft's security essentials too...:roll: what can I say... I had one virus kill an old computer and I never wanted to do that again... lol

Okay, I'll uninstall pctools av but keep the spyware removal, try and do something with MSE and see where that gets me. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you

(I was unaware that I could click on how many threads to see, I thought there were only two pages...but with the stickies referencing dates back 2 years I thought something must be up and found the options on the bottom of the page...I saw about 8 more of these threads after that...sorry, I did look before posting, but just not back more than a month, unbeknownst to me.)

6. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

Do yourself a favour and uninstall every "security" tool except MSE !
    Use a save browser and configure your Windows correctly, thats all you need.
    You can have 10 of those "spyware removal" tools installed and will not be better protected, only effect is that you get more problems...

MSE does not effect the gog.com ToEE.exe !
    You do not have do uninstall or deactivate it !

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

That one routinely tries to kill/delete the TOEE executable (at least for me, though the version I have isn't gog.com). Check its quarantine list. You might have to completely turn MSE off to play the game.

And don't listen to Wiggum, the Microsoft "antivirus" is full of giant holes, and seems to attract more problems that it solves. I used to routinely have spyware targeting MSE get on my laptop until I finally uninstalled it. All you need is a good anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D, maybe a decent anti-virus if you're paranoid.

8. Rhamza

Rhamza Member

okay, so I found the issue, it was pc tools intelli guard rootkit scanner. Once disabled the game ran perfectly. Then tried running though the front end x mod, worked. Then I sat and read a chapter on Ravinica by Cory J. Herndon while waiting for the new content module to load up. Tried it and it also works perfectly. Thank you for the help guys.

Wiggum, Thank you for the advice about removing my av and spyware programs, but I really think that I would rather have more than one level of protection, and not only relying on microsoft's products...they tend to have their faults despite the minor good they do provide. (Though I would have uninstalled it if that made the game run.)

Ausdoerrt, Thank you for the help as well. I looked in the Quarantine list and there isn't anything in there which I find suspicious...I wish it had an option to "ask for permission" for every action it takes...that would save a lot of frustration. I wonder what else it has stopped from working in the background without my knowledge... lol I read a lengthy article insome tech magazine about 6 months ago and they suggested running two av programs, mse and one of your choice. The reason being, most av programs have their holes. Another program running along side your main av will considerably close the gaps in your security. That is the only reason I keep two going at the same time...and relying on microsoft to keep me safe doesn't sound very appealing if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks Gaear, I'll look into avg again. I started with avast, but once they upgraded to a different UI, it made it pretty much impossible to use. Switched to comodo firewall and av, then they changed rules and made it so everythign on my computer was locked down because it was "accessing forbidden files" then went to avg, I liked them, but after a while I got tired of the program and ended up at pctools products. I'll look back into avg and see what they have to offer now.

Thank you everyone for the help in getting this game and your mod started!

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No problem, have fun. btw, avoid Comodo - it's also a known toee.exe killer.

10. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

@ Ausdoerrt

Sorry, but thats just not true...
    MSE has not more or less "giant holes" then any other AV !
    There was a huge test in a big and well known german information technology magazine (c't), the result...all you need is one free AV like MSE. ;)

@Rhamza
    "lol I read a lengthy article insome tech magazine about 6 months ago and they suggested running two av programs, mse and one of your choice. The reason being, most av programs have their holes. Another program running along side your main av will considerably close the gaps in your security."

...thats just not true...running two AV's parallel will only get you in trouble, at least if both are running in the background.
    You can install something like "ThreatFire" or some "Anti-Spyware tool" which does not run in the background but a good AV will make such stuff useless.

Thats like using "another firewall" although the Windows Firewall is all you ever need...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  11. Rhamza

Rhamza Member

Well, maybe the wording wasn't the very best that I have come up with. Along side being on the same computer scanning the same system, maybe working cooperatively would have been best. After almost 9 months owning this laptop I have not noticed any ill effects from doing so. Either they are hidden or nothing adverse is happening. Either way, the problem is fixed and the game is running, which is the important part. :)

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I'm speaking from personal experience, and MSE in that experience is the worst I've tried. Maybe you're right that it doesn't make a difference overall which one to use, but I'd prefer to use one that's actually comfortable. MSE regularly decided to override my requests to ignore certain files and folders, and also doesn't have the option to block certain sites/content permanently. With Spybot, I get full control over the program, and know that if I got a virus once, I won't see it again.

13. bugnot

bugnot Member

Aight so instead of opening a new thread Ill post here since I have a similar issue.

So I just bought ToEE from GoG and it ran just fine unmodded. Now, I installed the 6.1NC modpack, installation completed np, but the game won't start.

When I try to start it through your frontend I get the error "There was an error launching ToEE. Make sure your installation is intact. This error is fatal, the program will quit." And quit it does.

So I try to run the ToEE.exe directly and get this error instead: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I've never seen that one before. Running it as admin makes no difference. What gives?

I haven't installed the Atari patches since I thought the GoG version was prepatched. Could that be the problem?

The repair tool can't find any issues with the installation btw

14. bugnot

bugnot Member

Lol nvm, Comodo had quarantined the exe for some reason, even though it was in game mode. Copied it back and seems to work now. Though there is no more tutorial in the main menu but nvm that.

Our Host!