Is Hommlett just broken or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by badfrog, Jun 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. badfrog

badfrog Member

Hi all,

Bought ToEE from GoG last week, finally got around to trying it out. Installed the Co8 mod, activated it, all that jazz, launched the game from the "front-end" program, created my party which includes a character with some conversation skill points. Made it to Hommlett and walked around for a while trying to find quests. Having issues and noticing some odd things though:

1. For the flour for cuthbert's church quest, I go talk to the miller about the flour and he just yells at me and tells me to leave. I get no diplomacy or bluff conversation options. If I talk to him about his assistant converting to cuthbert-ism, same deal, no conversation options. The character I'm speaking with has +6 adjusted diplomacy (4 skill + 2 cha adjustment), and I don't see any skill checks come up in the dice history window.

2. Got the quest to infiltrate the work camp. Everyone tells me to talk to someone named Jayfile, but there's no one there with that name, nor in the inn, in the guard tower, or anywhere else I've looked.

3. At this point I looked at a walkthrough to see if I was missing something about these two quests -- apparently not -- and following the walkthrough, got the Black Jay sheep quest. Walkthrough says there should be a goblin outside his house. No goblin, just black fog of war that won't go away and seems to make the game herky-jerky if I click on it -- noticed it was like that elsewhere, assumed it was just the edge of the map?

So... is Hommlett just broken, or is my install somehow bad, or am I missing something here?

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

1. I don't have the game installed atm so I can't check the dialogue files, but I'm assuming that the options aren't showing up because your skill values aren't high enough. I'll double-check once my game is installed. Speech skills don't get skill-checks, just a minimum value necessary for the dialogue line to show up.

2. TOEE made the guy less obvious to find than vanilla. IIRC, he's the robed guy without the hood on. He's definitely there, just hard to find at times. MAke sure you look during the day, I think he's somewhere else at night.

3. Whatever walkthrough you're using, it's for vanilla. First, the goblin used to be there for Jay's ring quest, not sheep quest; the sheep quest is unchanged from vanilla. Second, the ring now shows up in a random place depending on your alignment - make sure to check corpses well ^__^

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Sounds like you have a bad install as there will be no Fog of War in the towns with the mod.

Once you get that figured out, I believe the miller needs a slightly higher Diplomacy check that you can get at first level. There are several other in town quests that you should be able to do, and make sure you ask the blacksmith for something different.

4. HealsOnWheels

HealsOnWheels Member

Jayfie is on the east side of the labour camp at night.

5. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

3. There's no more goblin :)

6. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

Also, after speaking with Jayfie, he will dissapear for quest-related reasons

Our Host!