Co8 dosent seem to work with GOG

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sradac, Jan 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. sradac

sradac Member

Bought and installed GOG version of ToEE tonight. Downloaded, installed just fine. After that, I installed the newest 6.0.0 NC version of Co8. When the install finished, the Front end opened up, and went through its initial stages. All that went fine as well. Then the menu for the front end came up. I selected Co8 6.0.0 NC and clicked "activate." The message came up saying its working and not to interrupt. 10 min later of absolutely no progress, got the error message it has stopped responding and will now close.

After closing, I try to run the Front end again, and I get a message telling me it must be ran from the ToEE main directory...which it is. I try to run just plain toee.exe after that and I am told temple.dll cannot be found. Tried uninstalling then re-installing several times and every time activating Co8 crashes, then tells me its not in the main ToEE directory, and ToEE tells me temple.dll cannot be found.

Anyone else with these problems? Very frustrating. I only bought the game to use it with Co8 and if I cant use that, I might as well just delete the whole game off my PC since im not about to deal with vanillas bugs and shortcomings.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, for starters you'll need a fresh install. Seems like interrupting the activation messed up the game files.

The problem for you is on the activation stage. It may take a while when you're activating for the first time. It may take over 10 minutes depending on your system. Just click "Activate" and leaver it be for a while. And I mean a while. I also suggest that you don't run anything in the background while activating, and don't touch the activation window. Just leave it on overnight, or while you're having dinner or something.

That usually gets the job done for me. Yeah, it's a bit slow, but it has a LOT of files to extract. Hopefully this helps.

3. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Once it gets going properly you may have trouble with your anti-virus due to the no cd crack.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

During the installation of the mod, are you pointing it to the correct directory for the GoG game, as per the instructions? If you install to the default directory in a GoG game, it won't work, as the directory is different.

5. sradac

sradac Member

I got it working. The problem seemed to be with the actual install of ToEE oddly enough. First 2 times I installed, I didnt run the installer as admin but it went and installed anyways. It placed a normal icon on my desktop. Last time I re-installed I ran as admin for the heck of it, and this time the icon it placed on my desktop had the little UAC Admin shield in the corner of the icon. Activation of Co8 did take a while, but it worked. Loving it so far, I dont know why I never picked this up before. Love just how close it is to real D&D especially when it comes to movement.

6. Cynic

Cynic Member

Hi there, I am having issues with getting this mod to work. I am on Windows 7 and I've followed the installation instructions closely about 5 times now and I keep getting the same error.

Basically, I can get to the activation stage of the install. I activate CoE and it says it is done and ready to play. Then I click play and I get this error:

[​IMG]

I am really not sure what I have done wrong. It seems to be that the ToEE.exe file gets deleted in the MODs installation process, is this supposed to happen?

If I go to the directory of the game I cannot see the ToEE.exe file anymore but I can see TFE-X.exe. I can't run it though, if I try to run it even as an administrator it says: "Error! You must run the TOEEFE-X from the root Temple of Elemental Evil folder" however I am inside of the root folder.

Please help.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. Cynic

Cynic Member

alright, the problem is McAfee. McAfee will quarantine the ToEE.exe file after it is modded with CoE. Without fail, it will quarantine the file, rendering your game unable to be played in any way.

I have no idea how to get around this without simply turning off my antivirus. I've read that AVG users have had similar issues. I really can't risk turning the antivirus off, very disappointed by this. Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks in advance

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Have you tried to add the toee.exe file to the ignore file, so Mcafee will not quarantine it? I do that with my AV programs and can play.

9. Gaear

I use AVG Free. I had to add toee.exe as an exception once and I've never looked back.

This one's not on us, incidentally. We didn't author the no-cd and have no idea why some AV software thinks it's a virus or a trojan.

10. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

You can either manually add the folder where you want to install TOEE to as an exception in you AV program as mentioned above or download the latest exe that was released on GOG's site after feedback about the false positive.

11. Gaear

Did GoG release a new one? I've been following their boards on and off and never saw that ...

Anyway, you don't want to overwrite Co8's .exe. It would probably work okay, but the reason we put it there in the first place is to ensure compatability. :)

12. Elekeria

Elekeria Member

I have the same issue as the first poster, as soon as I click Activate it has the blue circle thing and says it has stopped responding. I did leave it for 2 hours to see if it would come back but no luck.

I have tried running it in Administrator but the same issue happens. I don't have any anti-virus software running.

I did get it to work on my laptop running win XP but I have done all the same things on my main computer which is running Win 7 and it's not working. I have unistalled and reinstalled the game about 10 times now.

Please help.

13. Gaear

The blue circle thing?

14. Elekeria

Elekeria Member

Yeah sorry, it's what the pointer turns into when windows is waiting/not responding.

15. Gaear

It's normal for Windows to say the front end isn't responding when it's activating a module. I'd try activating it again and just leaving it overnight. It shouldn't take near that long (takes me about 6 or 7 minutes), but I've heard some high end stories.

Also, do you by any chance have Comodo antivirus installed? That one doesn't even need to be running ... just having it installed will kill the toee.exe.

Our Host!