Error Most Foul! Difficulty Regarding Temple.dll & the Co8 Mod

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by valdez leel, Oct 16, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. valdez leel

valdez leel Member

Hello all. I am encountering a rather unusual error with the latest version of the Co8 Mod. I’m fresh out of ideas and I thought it best to seek the sage advice of Co8 community before I go break something irreversibly.

The story begins, as most of these stories begin, with a rude CTD error. I had just purchased the game off GOG and it was giving me problems pretty much immediately. The game would start, I’d see an Atari logo and the Trokia Logo and what-not. Then the game would begin loading up and as the blue bar ran its course I’d get dumped on to my desktop with a typically unhelpful greybox detailing a lot of gobble-gook that meant nothing to me.

I’ll spare you a blow by blow account of all the forums I trudged through and all the different solutions and fixes I tried and just say that after an evening of troubleshooting I finally figured out both what was causing it to crash and a basic work around. The problem lay in GOG’s version of Temple.dll. I have no idea why. Maybe it called my computer nasty names. Either way I found that upon rolling back (or rolling forward – I’m not quite sure where GOG’s version of the game sits on the hierarchy of patches) to Patch 2 (Thanks a bunch to Gaear for his guide on how to do this) and installing a No-CD patch I could then get vanilla TOEE working ok-ish.

However, I have heard that vanilla TOEE is a parade of bugs and nonsense so, bolstered by my hubris at having defeated the loathsome CTD error, I downloaded the latest version of the Co8 Mod (5.9.2 Beta) and installed it as per the instructions. Immediately, and in the fashion of some lame horror villain returning from the dead at the end of a Slasher movie, my computer hit the same CTD error as before.

Commence swearing. :twitch:

Now, I have found that if I install Patch 2 over the Co8 Mod that the game will load. However, as you would expect, doing that makes the game unstable in other ways – as the .dll file doesn’t match up with everything else.

So, yeah that’s about it. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this? Or, if you’re just as stumped as I, what version do you recommend playing? The Co8 Mod is running really unstably in its current broke form on my PC, but would Vanilla Patch 2 TOEE be any more stable?

Supplementary Info

Just in case the information is of any use, here are my system specs.

CPU: 3.80 ghz (single core)
    RAM: 3 Gigs
    GRAPHICS: Nvidia 8600 GTS, Direct X 9.0c

Also - here’s a breakdown of every solution I’ve tried that has failed.

• Altering\Uninstalling Anti-Virus & Firewall: My firewall\Anti-Virus never gave me any warning messages regarding the game. Regardless, I’ve tried playing around with it per peoples instructions – making exception rules, uninstalling etc. This achieved nothing.
    • Registry Clean: I did once play the TOEE demo a while back (ironically to check and make sure it ran ok on my PC – it ran fine). Thinking it maybe some sort of conflict resulting from old registry files left over from that, I had a comb through my registry and ran a registry cleaner. I did find some left over stuff but deleting it didn’t seem to do anything.
    • Trying Older Versions of the Co8 Mod: I did try one older version (think it was 4.00) and the original Mobius patch, but if you guys know of one specific version that you think will nail this problem then by all means I’m willing to give it another go.
    • Uninstalling and Reinstalling in variety of locations on my hard drive
    • Altering my graphics card settings\drivers

And that’s about all I can remember – off the top of my head. Let me know if you’ve got any ideas.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Run as administrator.

*edit*
    Not run as administrator. I would maybe guess your resolution is set to high. Look for the widescreen thread to defeat that problem.

3. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Ugh, this is why i "hate" ToEE. The engine behaves eratically on a day-to-day basis.

I really need to drum up some support for my engine recreation problem to squash these issues once and for all!

Regards,
    Storm

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

What kind of support do you need?

5. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Well, first and foremost, people who know JavaScript (all gameplay systems are written in that) would be great. If enough people are interested in using a different language for scripting, i might consider changing the core to support that (C#/Java come to mind, maybe even python, although I have performance reservations).

If anyone is seriously interested in helping out, I am willing to provide a detailed introduction.

Regards,
    Storm

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@valdez leel, if you haven't seen this already, look here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8329

One interesting solution in there (you have to sort of pick through everything for the good stuff) was to install/not install to a hard dtive where the OS does not live.

Also try disabling intros (a front end button). If your game is CTDing after the progress bar thingie finishes, that generally means you have either a video issue (because the intro movie is supposed to play next) or you may have some problem with protos (because whenever ToEE encounters a proto problem it just craps out...although it's usually instant, no 'problem' box).

Whatever the problem is, it's likely to be consistent for all our modern modpacks, so switching to a different version is not going to help.

7. valdez leel

valdez leel Member

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Turns out one of the solutions in that thread Gaer pointed out fixed my problem.

It seems that, despite me turning it off, putting exception rules around each and every file in the folder, and doing everything short of erecting a fifteen foot neon banner around the game saying 'Don't screw with this. Please! I'm begging you', my firewall, good ol' Comodo, was running a bunch of fluff in the background that I wasn't even aware existed. Apparently this was causing the game to crash.

On a side note: I really hate it when anti-virus\fire-wall programs treat you in this fashion. I'm not some knuckle dragging baboon Comodo. If I turn you off - stay the hell off.

At any rate, cheers to Znix for posting up how he managed to get round it - I don't think I would've known where to look, given that the option to turn off all that background nonsense was buried several menu's deep in the programs "+Defence" tab.

Anywho thanks a lot guys. You've all been a smashing help.

Now I'm going to go enjoy TOEE in all its isometric tactical frog-killing glory. ;)

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

AVG is free and has a registry cleaner free also. Works good for me.

Our Host!