Rogue's special abilities problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Corethian, Oct 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Corethian

Corethian Member

I'm D&D beginner, started with this game. I prefer CRPG than TRPG, so I love this game, and your works, fantastic Co8 mod!
    It's about rogue's special abilities. At first I think it's just bugs, but before bug reporting, I must know what really it means. enchantment, once per round... Please read this, and teach me.

1. 'Slippery Mind'
    Feat discription is 'If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.'

There are not many enchantment spells in ToEE. Enchantment spells are Sleep, Tasha's hideous laughter, Deep slumber, Confusion, Crushing despair, Feeblemind, etc... I tested several times with these spells, but... I cannot sure what this feat does.
    After affected by spells, he is sleeping, laughing, or confused during battle. he cannot action his turn. After 1 round, there must be a chance to reroll, right? But it seems not.

I'm d&d beginner. Am I misunderstand this feat?

2. 'Opportunist'
    Feat discription is 'Once per round, the rogue can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character.'

Sometimes he gets an attack of opportunity with his own attack, once per battle, not once per 'round'. And sometimes no opportunist chance in whole battle. If discription is true, AoO must happen every his turn, right? I think my guess can be wrong. So just think about it, and tell me what's going on, please.

3. 'Crippling Strike'
    Feat discription is 'An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes two points of Strength damage.'

Just one points of strength damage, and not one of sneak attacks, every sneak attacks cause str damage. Better than discription, but I want to know what really it does.

I wish these class feats works correctly now. But you think it is bug, please tell me, and I report this topic in 5.9.x bug list.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

"One of" means pretty much "every" here i think.

I think the way it should work is rogue gets free AoO on a flanked opponent when someone else in the party melees that opponent. I never tried though, Crippling Strike seems more useful.

As for "Slippery Mind", I'm curious myself. What does the DiceRoll window say about that?

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Opportunist used to work. The rogue attacks whenever he is next to someone who just got hit. I think it's flanking.

4. Corethian

Corethian Member

Thank you for reply.^^
    There is no display on roll history. I tested every enchantment spells I mentioned, no response both dice roll history and PC.

I agree, 'Cripling Strike' is much useful, I think. I found these in testing, and it becomes my duty.

Flanking situation, maybe that's right. I'll check it again, thank you, two.^^ And there is a bonus AoO chance when he attacks alone. 1 on 1. I see that, too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Slippery Mind is supposed to be a "second chance" at making your saving throw for an enchantment spell cast on you that you failed your saving throw on.

At the start of your next turn after failing the save your character should re-roll the save attempt against the exact same DC that the spell had the first time.

It's kind of like he shrugged it off after a few seconds, (if he makes his save the second time that is).

6. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I just did some quick testing of the Rogue Special abilities.

1. Crippling Strike: It works and the effects are cumulative but it differs from 3.5 and the feat description in that it causes -1 Str damage not -2. Perhaps this should be noted in the help file?

2. Defensive Roll: Doesn't work

3. Improved Evasion: works

4: Opportunist: It works once when you flank and then never works again.

5: Skill Mastery: Can't select at level up. I can give myself it in the console but I think I need to select which skills it is supposed to be active with at the time I select it. Does anyone know if it ever even worked?

6: Slippery Mind: Doesn't work

So it seems that after 13th level rogue you might as well take regular feats instead of the special abilities.

Our Host!