Assassin not showing up?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by guinness22, Sep 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. guinness22

guinness22 Nexus of the Crisis

I've read in a couple of other threads where folks have sold Lareth's gear to R&G, but have yet to face the assassin. I am in that boat as well, so I hope it is ok that I create a new thread rather than bury my question a few pages into another.

I got the Agent Revealed quest from Burne, so I spoke to Jayfie. I then followed up with R&G (NOT Burne yet - the Agent Revealed is still open) to complete the Trader Revealed quest and bully R&G into paying my 100 gp to keep quiet. I then finished off some other quests and cleared the moathouse, returning to Homlett where I sold Lareth's boots to R&G. I then completed the Traders' Courier quest, and confronted R&G to get the shortsword+1.

At this point, I have completed the Traders Revealed and Traders Courier but left the Agent Revealed incomplete (ie. I haven't yet reported to Burne regarding the spy in the labor camp). I've also sold Lareth's boots to R&G. However, try as I might I can't trigger the Assassin.

Pre 5.9.2 I've always done it this way, always leaving the Agent Revealed open until R&G's assassin comes calling. This time I can't seem to trigger him.

Any thoughts?

As an aside, absolutely amazing work by the folks here. I think I've played this game through about 10 times start to finish (I bought it used a year or two ago), and I am very grateful for all the fixes and added content.

Thanks for all the hours of great gameplay you have provided me,
    g22

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well based on my own mistake with this and the feedback, I am guessing that by shaking down R and G you lost the opportunity. At least with my own plays, what you should do is get the info from Jayfie, but do not talk to anyone. Just wait till you get to Lareth and get his loot. Sell the boots to Rannos and Gremag and mosey on down to Nulb. Beat down the Assassin and get his map. Then talk Burne and Rufus with what you have and THEN go back to Rannos and Gremag and confront them. get into the fight with them and allow them to escape.

This way you get all the stuff from the hired killer, get a nice ambush in Nulb in your house there, and get even more goodies from the Thugs.

Use this as you will and I am not all knowing. Just a blow-hard who is occassionally right. :)

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just sold the boots, nothing else and no encounter. If you tell them about the spy and take the money the next time they wont talk. I wound up using the console to create him. I needed the money.

4. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

Wizgerge guess i blew it by killing off R&G way too early... and doing the agent revealed thing....
    since youve done the console in thing any idea what the assaisins and the thugs ID#s are? *not sure which ones show up so im not sure whic Ids to use..id like to try creating the approxi group that would normally come a calling my home in nulb.. id still like the fight expereince thought i might try consoling em in..

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I have not gotten him yet either. The differences in this run through to others are as followings:

• Playing a NE party
    • Took the assassination quest from the traders, though havent killed anyone.
    • Found out from B&R about the laborer problem, but did not talk to Jayfie.

6. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

Ok, I'm going to have to join the bandwagon here. The assassin encounter definitely appears to be bugged in 5.9.2. I am playing with my usual NG group and did all the things I normally do to trigger the assassin encounter and he is simply not showing up. I even made sure that I sold both Lareth's boots and his golden necklace to Rannos and Gremag just to be sure. I went back to the Inn of the Welcome Wench and spent a few days there and then went back out and he still didn't show.

7. guinness22

Thanks folks. Ya, something has changed. I played 5.9.2 twice this weekend through to this point, and no assassin either time (thought maybe I messed something up the first time, so I started again). I am playing a NG party, and as I outlined above I followed the same progression I've followed in the past and no assassin. Oh well, I guess I'll have to 'follow up' with R&G manually and maybe the assassin will show up in Nulb with the rest of the gang.

Thanks
    g22

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Has anyone gotten the assassin encounter in 5.9.2?

Might it be possible that the flags/variables for the assassin got mixed up in the changes to 5.9.2?

9. wizgeorge

I think if you kill R&G that pretty much ends it. How did you kill them both that early in the game? It's normally a tough fight and one or both escape. Then you get the Target of Revenge rep and the thugs. The Assassin encounter isn't working so you would have to create him using the console. All the Id #'s are in description. mes and long description.mes. The Revenge thing is lost, unless you have an early save, and one or both escape. Beware, the thug fight is really tough.

10. bradrinwi

killed em by shear dumb luck had a ful 8 chars and got a coule crits in my favour

my thought is if i create R and g clearing the quest completed flags for agents rev and swift justice !st before creating them .. could that work?

and if not maybe I could console up the assasin and.. console myself target of revenge.. prompting the thugs..
    i understand description mes etc.. im simply not sure which NPCs to console in *worst case* to simulatate the thugs attack the house in nulb would that be all the ones labeld thug in descrip.mes?

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, something is obviously broken with the assassin encounter thing if nobody's getting it anymore. I will check into it.

In the meantime, the assassin will show up in Nulb with the rest of the gang if he doesn't come to assassinate you first. It's always been scripted that way. I would suggest you all just relax and play it through that way until it gets fixed.

12. bradrinwi

Okay I could Not get the assasin to happen naturally.. But..
    I did have partial success
    I first cleared the swift justice flag and then Created R and g in thier shop
    then i visited them and intiated combat letting 1 escape i now have the target of revenge flag on me...
    so things should progress normally with me only having to console up an assasin at some point but that seems to be a universal problem in 592

though if Gaers posting is correct Ill wait it out and see on that one..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  13. guinness22

Thanks Gaear. Again, I appreciate all the work you guys do. Not complaining at all, thought maybe I had missed something. Tried to search the forums and didn't see anything definitive so I thought I would ask the community if they were seeing the same thing, or if it was just me for some reason.

For now I think I'll just console the assassin in, and play as if I'd received the quests in order. Game on!

thanks
    g22

14. wizgeorge

If you do use the console to create the Assassin it will work but the console is infamous for causing problems somewhere else sometime. You use the wrong Id and you might get Iuz or the Balor. Big trouble. Use at your own risk. It might not save your wizard either.

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I have not used the console but I will confirm that the assassin shows at the thug ambush in Nulb. Damn that was a nasty battle. Got him with a licks THL but my poor mage was sure beat up and hurting.

Thanks Gaear and Gang for checking into this issue and always being willing to help idiots like me with our sometimes silly questions.

Our Host!