Temple.DLL access denied

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by AllDMsareEVIL, Sep 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

I have been playing the vanilla version of TOEE for the first time in many years after finding the disks in the loft.

I had to stop around party level 9 and Temple Level 4 due to constant crashes.

Some one then suggested that I try the Circle of Eight Modifications.

So I did the following.

1) Did a full UN-Install as I was patched up to Patch 3.

2) Did a re-install.

3) Added Patch 1.

4) Added Patch 2.

Checked the game worked, it did.

5) Checked I had Microsoft .Net frame (or what ever it is called) I had version 4.

6) Unpacked the circle of eight modification. Version 5.9.1 Beta into the route directory.

7) Ran TFE-X.exe as instructed (I ran it as administrator as this is Vista)

Now everything went okay until the end, where I got a message telling me that access to Temple.dll was denied.

a) I am using AVG and Commodo, I have disabled both of them and tried again, but still I get the same message.

b) I have done a complete uninstall and tried again, same results.

c) I have replaced the temple.dll with the one from the 5.91 file and also with the Moebius (sp?) one. Same result.

I am sure there are many other things I have tried and forgot as this has been going on for a day now.

I am currently trying a registry clean, disk clean and a disk defrag before trying with my internet access turned off and both AVG and Commodo disabled. But to be honest if this does not work I am out of options.

Is this a simple problem that I am just not seeing the obvious solution to, or can any one suggest any other options?

A search of the forum fro temple.dll turns up a lot of posts, but none seem to have the same problem as me.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I'm probably being really simple here because it seems that you already know what you're doing but when you uninstalled, did you go into windows explorer and delete the remnant Atari folder that the uninstall didn't delete? If it's not that, then I'm out of clues. Gaear will probably have some more options for you.

3. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

Thanks for the input.

I am installing in a custom location, on a partitioned e: drive. So I had manually deleted the folders and even tried different folder names each time.

I am going to try the default location next time, but I have a strong feeling that this will result in the same conclusion.

My gut feeling is that this is a commodo or AVG problem, but I am buggered if I can figure how to set the temple.dll as accessible through them.

Disk Defrag is almost finished, so I get to sit through the installation screens again soon. I will keep my fingers crossed and also detail everything I do this time to see if anyone spots a glaring mistake.

4. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

Things have got worse.

As I still have no joy, I tried downloading and installing an older version of the frontend. Even on clean installs the game now insists that this frontend is the one I am using and I have no idea of how to tell it to use the later versions. This is after a clean install and a registry clean.

5. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

Problem solved and new one created.

I downloaded two different registry cleaners as I was sure the registry error was the cause of the problem above. One of these must of worked, because a clean installation of the game followed by the patch worked ONCE I manually turned off the features of Commodo (shutting it down apparently does not disable its functions....)

Problem is now, the Circle of Eight patch does not seem to recognise my play disk 2, so I can't play the game.

Is this normal, or is it a result of my registry tinkering?

6. Necroticpus

Well, progress is good news. You can play the game but you need to go and download the no-cd patch. It's 17kb zipped. We can't post links to it here or else they'll trace our IP's and and do a "whois" and send the enforcers out.

7. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

I went and got my self the No-CD patch under protest. That was like pulling teeth, Commodo really does not like the patch or the Co8 mods.

I got the mod installed, and launched the game.

Unfortunately it now crashes with a:

TOEE has stopped working message.

(On a related note, anyone know how to stop commodo from deleting the NoCD patch as soon as commodo is started?)

8. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

A bit more information, just in case anyone can help.

a) This is a vista system.

b) I have both the front-end and the exe set to run in XP service pack 2 compatible mode.

c) I start the program with a right click, run as administrator.

Vanilla works from the front end, but crashes on exit from program with a not responding message.

5.91 crashes at start up as the blue loading bar is just about to reach the end.

It crashes in both windowed and full screen modes.

I am about to give up as I am losing the will to live :)

9. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

It would appear that all my issues have been caused by Commodo Anti Virus.

SHUTTING DOWN COMMODO DOES NOT DISABLE IT FULLY!

Nor does turning off its features.

The only way I have been able to get the Mod to work is to un-install and remove all traces of Commodo.

Hopefully this will be my last post in this thread.

10. Necroticpus

I didn't see it listed in your work arounds but you also need to run the frontend as administrator. That clears up a lot of problems for people.

*edit*
    Nevermind. I just saw that you did try running as administrator. I'm really out of ideas now.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

AllDMsareEVIL,

I'm running 5.9.1NC on vista myself and have few problems.
    I use McAfee and I don't turn it off or anything.

You said you right click and run as admin, did you know that the same place you enabled xp sp2 mode down at the bottom you can check run as admin and it will always default as admin.

I hope you got it running, 5.9.1NC ROCKS!

12. AllDMsareEVIL

AllDMsareEVIL Member

Thanks for the replies, I actually got this working a few days ago, my last post was probably not clear enough.

All, and I do mean all, of the problems I had were caused by Commodo anti-virus.

For some reason it does not like the front end and the no CD patch. Even when disabled it would still affect the running of these two programs.

I un-installed Commodo, ran a registry edit to get rid of any traces of it and have been playing happily since then with only one Crash to Desk top to my name.

13. Necroticpus

Good deal. Anti-virus programs are the biggest scam ever invented for the computer. I wish I could've got in on the ground floor for that one. They've got most everyone around the world fooled and paranoid over nothing. I never use them. They cause more problems than they solve. Anti-virus software is not needed at all for anything. If you just use Mozilla and be careful of which sites you go to and careful of what you download, you will never have any problems. Maybe if you were a huge company like IBM or something, I could see it.

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I routinely uninstall anti-virus programs whenever I own a computer. They aren't as much trouble as a virus, but they are CONSTANT trouble. Often making a computer useless for a given task. I wouldn't put anything important on that computer though.

Get a second computer for important stuff and keep an "under-protected" one for fun. I have an oldie that is never connected to the internet that I repartitioned and installed only what I wanted on it.

Our Host!