Heavy crossbow reloads with move action

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by azcore, Sep 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. azcore

azcore Member

Hi, there is first time, that I play TOEE.

afaik, heavy crossbow should take full turn action to reload,
    but in my game it only take move action, does it work as
    intended? (5.9.1 NC beta)

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

This question probably should be posted under the TOEE forum and not the general, but to try to give you an answer, I think even when you use that move action to reload, the game will not allow you to fire. So you might be able to take the time to reload and do a 1/2 move but not any type of attack.

3. azcore

azcore Member

Oh, but the game surely allows me to fire after that, though I wonder if it is specific
    only to 5.9.1 NC as I never played previous versions.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

On your first turn, or better stated, before you have fired in combat, you should be able to move.

I think you can do two of the following three once you have fired.
    1) Reload, which is done automatically if you try to shoot the cross bow.
    2) Move
    3) Action (Fire crossbow, Cast Spell, ect).

Therefore, when combat begins, the crossbow should already be loaded, and therefore you can move and fire.

5. azcore

azcore Member

That's understandable, but I am talking about situation when on turn 1 I fire,
    on turn 2 I reload and fire again. I checked it another time, and yes, I am able to do that with heavy crossbow in current version of CO8 mod. Is that the case only with my installation? Do you have heavy crossbow reloading work as intended?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

When in doubt, check the release notes of the mod for changes. If you see an item like 'changed crossbow so it doesn't take 1 turn action to reload,' then we are to blame. Or if you see an item that says 'recklessly fiddled with game mechanics, not knowing what the consequences might be,' you'd at least have reason to be suspicious. ;)

Otherwise, chances are that we did not change anything.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

My wizard was using a heavy crossbow in 5.8.1 NC. He was able to fire AND reload his heavy crossbow each round, just like a light crossbow.

You are right, in the PnP D&D 3.5 RPG, loading a heavy crossbow is supposed to be a full- round action, so this computer game breaches that rule. Personally, I MUCH prefer the way that the heavy crossbow works in this computer game because I think that a heavy crossbow requiring 1 round to reload is unfair and would make heavy crossbows totally useless (like they are in the PnP D&D 3.5 RPG).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  8. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I vaguely recall having to wait to reload my heavy crossbow in the Vanilla, though I cannot confirm that because it won't launch (unlike Co8 5.6.0). Is it coded in the temple.dll? Because it may very well be a bug like the one we had with barbarian armour proficiencies, something unnoticed until someone pointed it out.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can someone please check this? There are no repeating heavy x-bows to my knowledge, but please make sure you don't have rapid reload (or an NPC like Spuggy who comes with it).

Our Host!