Voice For The Voiceless

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Panmorn Fletcher, Aug 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Panmorn Fletcher

Panmorn Fletcher The Forgotten Foe

I want to start a project on creating voices for the voiceless NPC.

But before I do that, There would be few questions that I would ask:

What tools should I need to extract the sound into the game?
    Will I use the tools you guys would provide?
    Should there be a format on recording the sound?
    • .wav
    • .mp3
    • .amr
    • and so on...

2. Panmorn Fletcher

I just saw this from another thread

- the sound and movie files: movies are BINKs, sound files are .mp3s or .wavs. Moddable, by those inclined, with appropriate tools. Can be added via scripts or through the control files (voices, effects, ambient music etc).

YAY!

Some limits: eg ambient sounds can't be changed halfway through a game, some files (such as NPC voices) will cause others to be muted.

Is there a way to fix this thing?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Gaear may say otherwise as he knows more about such things, but I say no. Alas, a man's got to know his limitations. But if you focus on what we can do, I tihnk you will find a great deal of opportunities.

May I recommend my tutorials? The early ones deal with such things.

http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/2005/11/tutorial-list.html

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Have a look here to see the original 'Voicing the Voiceless' project from years gone by.

Muting doesn't really need fixing, as it's the voices that always win out when two different types of audio are playing at the same time anyway (background music is attenuated).

Feel free to have at it. If the custom voices are of sufficient quality to include in the modpack, I would ultimately convert your original audio to .mp3 for distribution. So recording in .wav and posting it here for editing/conversion would be preferable, as .wav is a much less lossy format than .mp3.

Just to be up-front about all of this, here's a disclaimer: low quality voice acting is one of the worst things that can happen to a mod, so we apply rather rigid standards as to what is acceptable for the modpack or not. The voice actors in the original project were for the most part theater professionals (working for universities and whatnot - not Patrick Stewart but still trained) using a semi-professional recording environment and equipment.

Basically, what you need is:

• a suitable recording environment with little or no background noise and good acoustics (buses going by in the background are no good; tinny sound is no good)
    • decent recording equipment (you really should have a good mic with quarter inch jacks going into a quality breakout box and recording into a capable app [something that can record audio at 16 bit resolution, 41000 Hz sample rate] on your computer)
    • some degree of talent or aptitude for voice acting
    If you're not interested in doing this for the modpack or worrying about standards, you should still feel free and we'll list a redirect to your hosting location in our 'Other Downloads' forum. (We can't really host it ourselves because the file size for any type of audio is generally too large.)

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help. :)

5. Panmorn Fletcher

But still, I'll try to make good voices for those NPC until I reach your standards.
    What worries me the most is that I can make a voice for Male characters and not for the Female. Is there anyone on this forum who can help me? A female modder maybe.. Or is it my job to search for a partner for the female voice?

The attached files on http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3047.
    They aren't updated, could you give me a link to the latest dialog scripts of those NPC.

BTW Thanks for the tips :hug:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

He, I am always somewhat skeptical of community-driven voice over projects. I am playing Baldurs Gate 2 with 2.5 GB of mods installed and some of the community provided voices sound like some bloke talking on Teamspeak. Horrible quality... I just hope you don't make the same mistake :)

As for the file-size, Gaer. Couldn't one use 64-kbit ogg or aac-plus, then transcode to mp3/wav on installation? This should really really squeeze the file-size down. For voice-over, 64-kbit using modern codecs (so don't use 5 year old mp3 encoders with a bad psychoacoustic model) should not reduce the sound quality noticeably.

Regards,
    Storm

7. Gaear

@Panmorn -

If there are no female voice actors, that's just the way it is.

The original project thread is outdated. Do you have some ideas for which NPCs you'd like to voice? I can let you know if they are suitable choices or not (some may not be due to the need for flexibility to accomodate frequent changes, e.g. Brother Smyth) and then post their dialog files for you.

@DS -

Not sure what you mean by "transcode ... on installation." The files that ship with the mod should be as small as they can be already by the time I get through with them (converted to 64 kbps mono .mp3, iirc), so size isn't too much of an issue. I prefer not to work with .mp3 or other compressed formats in an editing environment, but certainly can if necessary.

8. DarkStorm

Nevermind that then, I thought you were shipping 256kbit mp3s, wavs, or some other large format with the mod. Is size really that much of an issue then?
    You should get a good hour of sound into less than 30MB given 64-kbit bitrate (and ignoring header overhead).

Regards,
    Storm

9. Gaear

lol, I'm confused ... what size issue are you referring to - hosting, shipping w/mod, editing? ;)

We can't really host downloads of any significant size here (which is why we put our stuff on ModDB now).

It's not an issue for shipping with the mod, pretty much.

As long as Panmorn Fletcher doesn't have any upload restrictions, he should upload his stuff somewhere in as lossless a format as possible for me to work on. That's just a basic principal of audio editing - work with high quality audio, because you can always go down but you can't go up..

10. DarkStorm

Yeah I was pretty much referring to that. Since traffic is so dirt cheap nowadays I was wondering why :) Can you estimate the traffic/month that the mod causes?

Oh I wasn't suggesting to go with a lossy format for *editing*, I think you misunderstood me there. For hosting, just go with hotfile or some similar service. I think you can even upload there without an account.

Regards,
    Storm

11. Gaear

Yeah, ModDB keeps pretty good stats on traffic. See here.

They say 1,385 downloads in the last 30 days, although that's probably low because I just recently removed the 5.8.0 series mods from there and that counts against you for some reason.

Our host Sorcerer's Place is not really set up as a warehouse, per se. (I think Taluntain has significant space, but he doesn't really want to use it for stuff like that, not to mention the bandwidth hit.)

Yeah, there are plenty of sites now where you can just throw whatever on up for nothing. (Filefront lets you do it with no questions asked whatsoever.) I think Panmorn's only potential limitation would be if his ISP limited his activity or if he was on a 'pay-as-you-go' schedule or something like that.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I use Divshare for my file hosting, it's free. I did end up buying a monthly subscription for access to some of the more convenient file transfer options and such.

I do quite a bit of voice overs, although it's for NWN2 and Dragon Age. Believe it or not, you can get a quality sound without an expensive set up.

I am using an inexpensive mike, with a coat hanger holding a paper towel in front of it to avoid the nasty P's and F's. :)

Audacity is free and it lets me change the formats and edit the sounds, even add effects and such.

I think what it really takes to do voice overs is a very strong interest and patience.

13. DarkStorm

Don't forget talent and skill ;-)

Although a (nearly?, Gaear?) sound-proof room should help a lot I guess...

Regards,
    Storm

ps: Can you should be some samples of your DragonAge (yay) and NWN work?

14. Gaear

I think Zorn and Co. (from the original project) actually had a 'quiet room' - little or no ambient noise, sound dampened walls - they used for recording. Since Zorn was a theater guy, he had all that stuff already. It really is quite important, because things you wouldn't even think of may enter into the recording through an open mic, not to mention noise and random harmonics/hum through the electronics themsleves (which is why I would disagree with sirchet about mic quality; imo it's the most important thing).

Sirchet's on the right track with the de-esser stuff though, and while I've never done this myself, I think the acoustics are most happy in a room with some headroom (high ceiling).

Audacity is indeed a fine app for this stuff, and free.

Never add reverb or other effects on your end though - leave that for the engineer if it's needed (unless you are the engineer). :)

15. DarkStorm

Well, while expensive mics probably have better quality, is it impossible to produce acceptable recordings with cheaper ones (<50€)? (And a very good "consumer" soundcard. A popular german computer magazine (c't) regularily tests the various audio properties (recording too) of (onboard) soundcards and they really range from abysmal to quite good).

Regards,
    Storm

Our Host!