Preview Testing Release (With Screenshots)

Discussion in 'ToEE Engine Recreation Project' started by DarkStorm, Jun 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Hello,

i built a preview release of the current engine, to show off the current rendering capabilities.

*This version is outdated, please look at the other thread*

Instructions:
    Unzip to any location, run converter.exe, run eviltemple.exe

(In the main menu, only new game works, and will give you a load map screen).

You can scroll around the maps by dragging them around like in google maps.
    Other interactions:
    - The blue Stairs/Doors icons work
    - Clicking on any dynamic object will open up an information dialog
    - Clicking on doors will open/close them

If you're into the internals, you can look at the files in data/scripts with a text editor (they're javascript and you're free to edit them). data/interface contains the definitions for the dialogs. The zip files contain the converted data from ToEE.

I tested this on Windows 7 64-bit on both a mobile NVidia GPU and an ATI Radeon 5850.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

I uploaded a screenshot album of this version in action:
    http://imgur.com/a/B133J/eviltemple_20100608_screenshots

Bye,
    Storm

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Zero

Zero Member

wow nice work. this looks really promising keep up the good work:love:

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I really like your inventory method, and the font you're using is so much better than the normal ToEE font. :thumbsup:

4. DarkStorm

Thanks for the feedback. While the "interface" is really just for debugging at the moment. I've really been wondering how the final one should look like.

I could rebuilding the original interface, since the graphics are all there (it would probably be really easy), but to be honest the original interface is awful in some places.

Even if you ignore the bugs, the stat section of the character sheet just hides too much detail (i.e. having to click again to see where the armor class comes from). I've been wondering whether I should revise that. Suggestions welcome! I also need to keep in mind that the interface should allow for more of the 3.5 goodness missing from ToEE (i.e. prestige classes, reserve feats, etc.).

And yeah, I also thought the original font (Arial, 10pt) wasn't very good. Especially on todays screens with todays resolutions, a 10 pt font is too small.

5. Gaear

I don't know the technicalities of what's really involved in redesigning the interface, so take this with a grain of salt, but your inventory presentation looks great the way it is - see-through background so to speak, larger icons and text, greater spacing so things don't look cluttered - all great. And if I could make one additional suggestion it would be to replace the radial menu with a drop-down menu so that in-game character options don't spiral out from the center, which forces you to read things sideways much of the time and imo looks rather silly and cartoonish. Dropdown menus would theoretically look just like they sound and function like a regular Windows menu, ideally with the better fonts and spacing that you've used in the inventory display. Since ToEE is turn-based, I don't think screen real-estate should be a concern. (eg It's not like a large, spread out menu would block your view from some real-time attack or anything like that.)

Also, add long descriptions to inventory items in shops so players know what they're buying! :)

6. DarkStorm

Well I have to design some form of interface either way, so the work involved doesn't really change. In principle the interface design is a lot like designing a webpage with the technique I am using.

As for your suggestions: I also think the radial menu is suboptimal. Especially since a) the method of putting a shortcut to heavily used entries is cumbersome and b) there is zero context sensitivity.

I.e. I would prefer an option like "Break Free" to be easily accessible, but only if the current character is really grappled or entangled. This applies to several options. Maybe a quick-bar with icons would be appropriate. But I don't know that yet.

As for the inventory: Have you played dragon age? I think a solution in that direction would be good (they use a list like mine too). But the inventory I used is *really* just temporary. I also want to include an appraised item value in the inventory (maybe based on the party's highest appraise skill), the long description (or at least an excerpt of it), and maybe an item-type (I.e. for the Item "Frostbrand" it would still show Sword in grey or sth. like that).

7. DarkStorm

Eyecandy Update:

Fixed several more animations:
    [​IMG]

Small clipping error on the ground, but nice shadows:
    [​IMG]

New dialog background and close button:
    [​IMG]

My favourite thing, scripted particle systems in animations:
    [​IMG]

Same thing as above, fire/air elementals are only visible with particles:
    [​IMG]

Same as above, particles add a lot of flair:
    [​IMG]

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Wow, just wow. Let me ask you something. Can you take this engine and recreate a new game with it? You are making this from scratch correct? Theoretically, when the engine is complete, could someone license it from you to build a new RPG or would it infringe on Trokia/Atari?

I am always thinking about business and this is just so cool.

9. DarkStorm

The engine is open source, so there is no need to license it from me. And yes, I am making this from scratch, and in addition to that, I am defining my own data files (and conveniently provide a tool to convert from toee data files to my data files :p). So if you'd like, you could definetly build your own assets and use them with that engine. You'd have to be careful with the scripts though, since in the end they will implement D&D and there could be some trademark issues if the scripts go beyond what's available in the D20 SRD. (If you don't plan to use anything beyond D20, there should be no problem)
    The goal is to make the engine MIT licensed, which allows anyone to make source code modifications and release a new version without having to release the source code.

ps: But in truth, if you plan to make something *really* new, you should probably go with Ogre. It takes so much effort to implement this engine mainly due to the required compatibility with ToEE.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  10. Gaear

Theoretically though, if your engine proved more stable than the Troika ToEE engine and resolved common issues like the nodes slowdowns, ToEE itself could be ported over and players everywhere could enjoy all the improvements?

With the other optimizations you've outlined and/or proposed (new interface, etc.), that would be awesome.

11. DarkStorm

That is exactly the long term goal of this project.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I for one, eagerly await each of your progress updates and dream of the day you have accomplished your long term goal.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is majorly awesome, well done!!! :clap:

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Fantastisch! Can't believe I missed it a week ago.

A few questions:

1. The graphics programming seems be very far along (dare I say, almost done?). Is that so?
    2. In light of that, how far away are you from implementing the game mechanics - Combat system, AI, interface, dialogue, NPCs, factions, etc?
    3. Bearing that in mind, when would it be suitable to start discussing and offering suggestions to the above? (if at all?)

15. DarkStorm

And sorry it took me so long to answer.

A very good portion is done. I still have some tweaking to do. (I still seem to interpret some particle system properties incorrectly, and I seem to ramp up the lights too much)

In principle I want to finish the "services" the engine must provide to the script engine first. Pathfinding is one of those services, line of sight (partially done and required for pathfinding anyway), and other services. It's not *very* far away though. The plan is to implement the entire game logic in javascript to remain flexible.

In principle it can already be discussed (although in a new thread I suppose). And yes, suggestions are always welcome.

Regards,
    Storm

Our Host!