is there a way to delevel?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, Apr 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

*Partially Solved*

How to relevel a PC:
    If you want to relevel a player character (one of the original party members you created), you can do it the following way:
    1. Write down how much XP they have.
    2. Strip them of all items and give them to another party member for safekeeping.
    3. Go to the inn in homlet, on the table here is a book, click on it to bring up the party management interface and remove said party member, then add the level 1 version of said party member. (you may also create an alternative character with the same name and picture and voice, but different first level class or different level 1 selections)
    4. Use the console to set their XP to what it was before as per this guide: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1676

How to relevel an NPC:
    Currently there is no known method.

*original post below*
    Is there a way, potentially via the console, to delevel a character?

I figure you can rebuild if you can use some such method to lower someone to level 1, then grant them enough XP to level back up.

Best way I can think of right now would be to kill them, then raise them, then kill them, then raise them.

problems:
    1. It will take a ton of time
    2. If done on an NPC, then your other characters gain XP from killing them.
    3. Raise dead costs money.

I guess I COULD keep records and then after I am done with it set the XP of each character to what it was before the process began though as well as give myself back the gold via console. But I am hoping there is a more elegant process

EDIT: According to in game documentation raise dead cannot be used on outsiders. Is there another method that would work on Darley?

EDIT2: Raise dead doesn't seem to care that Darley is an outsider, despite the description explicitly saying it cannot raise them, it worked fine on her.

However, raise dead does not actually reduce your level, only causes some XP loss which is partially recoverable with a restoration spell. Repeated deaths/raise dead castings cause no further XP loss, you simply remain at the same XP amount, which is halfway between current level and previous level, while maintaining your level.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Why? If you hate her for some strange reason, make a sorcerer of your own build instead and forgo her altogether.

3. taltamir

I don't hate her, I hate how worthless she is. I want her, but built the way I want.
    And just an FYI, that applies to every NPC out there. The ability to develop each and every one of them to level 1 and then build from there will be awesome...

besides which, this will also be awesome for people who have made serious mistakes in character design. Rather then restart the game they could unlevel and relevel their character. (and I am referring to PC characters, now NPCs).

Actually, this gives me an idea on how to do it for a PC... strip them of all equipment, record their XP amount. Go to inn, remove them from party, get their level 1 template to join the party, then use console to set the XP of that one back to what it was and level away.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think that's pretty much the standard approach to rebuild or replace a charecter. Another appraoch is to go back to an old save.

5. taltamir

going back to an old save requires that you spend hours replaying the game... all I want to do is alter feat, spell, skill, and other levelup selections.

As for it being the standard approach... nobody told me that :p, I had to figure it out all on my lonesome.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, otherwise you'll still spend time trying to level them back up to their original level. Unless you wanna cheat with the console, that is.

NPCs are interesting cause they aren't what you always want them to be, but present other options. You can't have a demon, giant, troll PC, you can't have clerics of Beory, etc. In this case though, use an extra PC slot, create a character with the same stats and portrait and develop her from lvl 1 all you want.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I actually like weak PCs and NPCs. They mix things up. I almost always recruit Rannos and Gremag's man-at-arms.

8. taltamir

That was explicitly what I said I wanted...

Thats great, and frankly I have been running around with darley and just telling her to skip turn every single turn... it was hillarious.
    But the point is how to do it for people who want to...

this is particularly important for people who are having a hard time because they don't understand optimization and play with a sub par party... they are facing a brutal game and keep dying and feel like they reached a dead end... respeccing their characters (and yes, I am fully aware of it being a cheat) will let them recover from their mistakes.

Enough with trying to force me to play the way you enjoy playing. I am a dirty filthy stinking cheat who likes being a cheat cheat cheatsalot McCheater. Ok?
    Does it make you happy?
    I don't want to play the way you want to play. I want to respec my badly built NPCs and make them awesome. I feel sad for the big bad SHE DEMON who is a pathetic liability in combat as I feel she should be awesome and powerful... is that so bad of me? well I honestly don't care if its bad or not. I want to do it and I will.
    As for making an "identical PC"... I can't even SEE most stats of the NPC, I don't know how, and it defeats the whole purpose because there is no dialogue etc. Actually this is something that has been concerning me. I have been really fishing for dialogue from those NPCs but they don't seem to have anything at all to say.

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you really want to make Darley into your vision of how Darley should be (in your game only,) you should have a conversation with WizGeorge about changing her protos and make her as you wish from the get-go.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Frankly NPCs have little dialogue.

Also, after 5.8.0 is out, you can up the level cap and fix everything you don't like about her in the next 10 levels available ;)

I'm not trying to force you to play my way, but I take offense when you call one of my fav. NPCs crappy, haha.

11. taltamir

the level cap was gone for a while now... I was able to make her much better by awarding her some XP and leveling her up myself...

but that was just a test, i then reloaded my save and proceeded to play normally. console XP awarding is not something i do in my games, only in bug testing (I was testing to see if it will let me fill her missing spells known on levelup; it didn't)...
    So anyways, I ended up unable to use her since there was literally NOTHING left for me to kill for XP, except for random encounters in elemental nodes for a pittance (~100XP per elemental... 0 for many spawns)

anyways, it is a real shame that NPCs don't have more dialogue in TOEE.
    Lets keep our debate about the merits or demerits of her build to the thread which deals with it...
    This should be about deleveling NPCs...

and this is NOT just for darley, its for EVERY NPC in the game. I really wish there was a way for me to delevel any NPC to level 1 and take it from there.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, you COULD ask the modders to explain how to edit NPCs, and just bump her down to level one, or edit her stats, as someone already said.

As for running out of things to kill, that's why I mentioned 5.8.0 since it starts reintroducing extra content.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Our attitude toward this stuff has always been non-interventionary. If Troika made the NPCs that way, as long as there's not some obvious bug, then they pretty much stay that way. We even wanted to go back to the old way of auto-leveling for NPCs, as a matter of fact, and would have if we could have figured out a way to do it ... but IIRC there were problems with engine limitations re: higher levels or something like that. Anyway, by rights they should be totally autonomous. That's what Troika envisioned originally, only their implementation (looting, encumbrance, leveling) was very poor. They should not be any less autonomous than they have to be, IMHO.

14. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

The PC wouldn't have the unique 3d model and voice ques though.

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Who are you fool'n?

I bet you haven't had time to actually PLAY the game since ... oh ... the early 60's? :p

Our Host!