Seriously, WTF am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by String7th, Apr 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. String7th

String7th Member

Either I'm a complete retard with this game, or this game hates my guts.

Ok, so after the intro I start the drinking contest. After 3 tries, entire party drunk, Paladin fallen, I get a few pieces of gold. woo, woo.

Next, Learn about unhappy tailor quest and talk to Renton. I think all the players' diplomacy and/or bluff is too low to do anything, cuz I can't get any conversation that completes the quest. So I abondon and move on to Giant Spiders in Delko Grove.

Spiders kick my ass in less than 10 moves, dead. Abandon and moved on to Black Jay.

Take dead sheep quest, find hemlock, learn about it being poison, rest till night, talk to Teamster's son but again, all the players' conversations do nothing to scare him off and complete the quest.

I tried to abandon to find the wandering goblin and he's not there night or day.

~~~I really might smash this friggin disc, burn the pieces and piss on the ashes. WTF am I doing wrong? Is the game supposed to be this difficult? I can't even kill any sheep. Yeah, I got frustrated with the story and just attacked Black Jays sheep and they killed my entire party without me getting 1 of them even halfway down.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Never give up. Don't abandon quests because they are tough. Find a way to beat/solve them. If plan A didn't work, try plan B.

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

let me start by saying the TOEE (and DnD in general) is really REALLY hard. But once you learn how to charOp (optimize character builds) you can get quite a whole lot done.

I think most people should start at level 3 not level 1. You can give yourself level 3 via console. If you want to do it the legit way then you are supposed to run around town doing fedex missions until you get to level 2 from doing that. and maybe recruit a few helpers.

Deklo grove, emerdy meadows and imeryds runs are all very difficult despite sounding easy, don't rush to them.
    The giant spiders cast web which is one of the most powerful spells in the game, they are also immune to it themselves... you should try to spread out ASAP before they web all of you. then with the right buffs / arcane spells (color spray is a good one). a well build fighter and cleric, a little luck, and being level 2 or 3 you can defeat them... (heck, you could even defeat them at level 1 if your charOp fu is strong).

The goblin is gone because everyone agreed he is stupid. The ring he carried is now in deklo grove. there are a few changes but this is one of them. it just makes no sense for a goblin with his dead wife's ring to be IN the village randomly attacking people...

As for the guy poisoning the sheep, you will find out more about it later :p.

If you want to min max then here is some advice:
    1. You should have an arcane caster, preferably a wizard, he is batman:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002

2. You should have a cleric or a druid, but don't overdo it with the healing...
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/bo...=4ef74956d0183a009acd53589e326d50&topic=420.0

3. A bard is surprisingly powerful:
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook

4. Monks utterly and totally suck... never play one, consider dipping for one though (taking 1 or 2 levels in it only; see multiclass rules). Monks are fighter that have less feats, no choice in their powers, crappy powers, crappy damage, crappy attack, and crappy AC. A fighter or a barbarian who has the "improved unarmed strike" or is wearing enchanted gloves/knuckles/spiked gloves etc makes for a better monk then a monk. Or you could actually use a real weapon and be better... heck even MONKS are better when they are using a real weapon rather then unarmed combat.

5. Max out your appraise, this increases your sale prices and decreases buy (although you really only need to buy masterwork items; mythril armor is godly btw). This means having a character with good int and max appraise score (who has a appraise as a class skill), have him wear the +2 to appraise glasses, cast fox cunning on him, and cast heroism on him for a total +6 bonus to appraise.

6. Crafting is godly, it lets you have very powerful items. Your party should probably have a rogue, an arcane caster, a divine caster, a partial caster (ranger, paladin or bard) and a meat shield, all three casters should have craft wonderous items. One should have craft magic arms and armor. All your characters should have the best enchantment on their armor and weapons and be carrying +6 items to every USEFUL skill...
    useful skills are:

primary casting stat: Gives you more spells per day and increase spell DCs... it is charisma for bards and sorcerers, wisdom for clerics and druids, int for wizards.

str: for fighters, increases damage and to hit.

dex: for everyone! gives +reflex save and +armor, and +AoO with the right feats (combat reflexes)... even if your AC bonus from dex is capped (say, full plate caps it at +1), you still get other bonuses.

con: for everyone, gives extra HP... clerics and druids will have to instead get a +6 to wisdom instead.

wisdom: while wisdom is useful in giving a bonus to will, the con bonus is better use for amulet slot for anyone but clerics and druids.

7. You can craft items and sell them at near market value with maxed out appraise, allowing you to convert XP to GP to get items, do that and get max items ASAP... don't worry, XP is a river, you will actually end up making that XP back and more (you get bonus XP if you are lower level compared to enemy, and magic items make you stronger without raising your level).

8. Vest of escape is godly, it makes you immune to web.

9. Web, grease, and glitterdust are unbelievably good. Curse (lose half your actions) is also nice but not as good.

10. Reach weaponsa re godly... use a reach weapon (such as a glaive for your fighter, your cleric should use a longspear since they are not proficient in a glaive). Enlarge person on the meleers to give them ever more range... this works out really nicely with combat reflexes, cleave, and buffs... because you get to to AoO against enemies as they approach, kill them, get free attacks for every enemy killed, etc... you have a massive range of attack due to being enlarged and using a reach weapon.

11. Damage dealers should use two handed weapons, this gives them a good bonus to damage (1.5x bonus from str, and twice the bonus from power attack... the #1 way of increasing damage for fighters)

12. Have a meat shield with high strength, dex, and con (16 to 18 on all 3) and 13 int. this lets him get spring attack (move before and after attack) and whirlwind attack (make one attack against any enemy in range at full attack bonus) as well as maximize attacks of opportunity via combat reflexes. Also high HP, high DC, and high damage and to hit.

13. everyone should have tumble maxed out, even as a cross class skill.

14. do NOT let your squishies into melee, wizards and sorcerers should be wielding a heavy crossbow, never a knife or a staff! bards also... rogues get shortbow so use that. you can use a rogue well in close combat but you need to really optimize for that, and a bow using rogue is awesome, especially sneak attacking multiple opponents on a full round attack.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

• Regarding Combat:
      • If you're having a tough time, try recruiting one of the NPCs, like Elmo, Spugnoir, Furnok, or Fruella.
      • Crowd control spells are major force multipliers. Consider purchasing scrolls from Burne if you can't cast them yet.
        • Level 1 spells include: Sleep, Grease, Entangle (overpowered as hell)
      • Don't underestimate the sheep. Chickens are easier targets.
    • Quests:
      • Goblin: The goblin was removed, the ring is elsewhere - stay alert, use Tab key often.
      • Corl: You need either Sense Motive 3, Intimidate 6, or a druid.
    • If you're mad now, just wait till the AI gets a lucky 5 crit streak while you swing at air...

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yes. We are ALL retards when we start. And the game DOES hate our guts and makes us waste years playing it,

The advice above is good. Welcome to TOEE. :wave:

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Does anyone think we should stop paladins falling once and for all for participating in the drinking contest? I think technically they should fall, but the application of falling is so spotty that it makes the drinking contest scenario look ridiculous. (If for example paladins fell for doing other more serious bad things as well, well okay then, but ...)

This would be the equivalent of something like the goblin-gone fix, basically - just changing something that isn't really broken but is nonetheless patently foolish.

Depending on alignment, it may be in other places too. But not with the Drow in the Deklo because they are gone now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. taltamir

i agree, drinking should not cause a paladin to fall...
    also recall that a tiny violation of a paladin's oath is not cause for immediate falling. Repeated violations OR a major violation...
    Besides which, drinking cannot be a violation of the paladin oath, many paladins are dwarves...

There should be a handful of preselected quests that make paladins fall. In the game it should be only if they kill a non evil person. (which require people's alignment to be marked right)

8. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Agreed. It never makes so much sense for me, actually... I have played dwarves in ToEE and in the P&P for years now, and I have never understood whats the problem in to drink for a Paladin; There are nothing about this in his restrictions, and, honestly, to drink a little - or ever go drunk in a comemoration of a big event of yer faith or party, for exemple - don't make anyone to be more or less Evil. Dwarves are a know race that have a tradicion on making and drink beer and other alcoholic beverages, and they are a LG race.

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Gotta go with making Pally's "fall-safe" for the drinking contest.

Now if you had to chose a god for your Pally, like you do for a cleric, you may run into trouble. Cuthbertians frown on excess drinking, so a Cuthbertian Pally would fall.

It would be different if your drunken Pally decided to start a brawl after the contest, that would be grounds for a fall from grace.

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

I'm gonna chime in here to say that maybe a happy medium could be reached and the Paladin could NOT fall, if He/She PERSONALLY didn't do the drinking. Is that a possibilty in the modding process?

I mean, a Paladin shouldn't fall because he is good friends with and has in his Party a NG Ranger who is built like a bull and likes to drink- responsibly that is.

And Heavens FORBID he actually has a Dwarven Cleric in his Party! Their Holy Water is Beer! If his Dwarven Cleric friend wins a drinking contest that should be a boon to his God, especially since the establishment is sponsering the contest!

Let the Paladin stay a Paladin, I say!

11. Necroticpus

Does this mean that our catholic priests are fallen from grace? They drink wine for every sacrament and communion and most likely a bunch of other rituals I'm not aware of. Are catholics merely paying lip service to the ears of a god that has forsaken them?

Perhaps the paladins could revere Dionysis. That way, they can drink and debauch all they want in safely hedonistic style. Hell, it's expected of them and would fall from grace if they didn't.

12. taltamir

sharess is a chaotic good goddess of partying and hedonism :p

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can I just point out the question here is whether to remove the scenario, not re-argue it for the upteenth time?

I am ok with removing it.
    A very good idea. Its the reputation that is granted that causes this to happen. We have to change the rep either way to prevent auto-falling, but could add a corrolary to check if the drinker is a paladin, and nuke him.

But what if you have 2 paladins, in the party, smarty pantses?

14. Necroticpus

Then the paladin that didn't fall beats the !@#$ out of the fallen one until he atones for his transgression.

15. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

If the other Paladin is of the same deity as the one that drinks, they both fall. (jeez, I feel like a rabbi)

Our Host!