Help.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by r-o-t-a, Jan 7, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

On first installing the game and running it after installation it ran perfectly, however after restarting my computer it wouldn't run. It would read the disk and bring up a black screen and then crash telling me:

TOEE.EX has stopped working.

I tried reinstalling but it still crashes. I have now run the first and second official patches and Co8 modpack 5.7.1. Still when I try to run the game it will not start. It's whenever the executable ToEE is accessed.

I'm running on Windows Vista with system requirements far higher than the recommended ones. I already had the correct version of Direct X installed. I have also tried running with different compatability options but it makes no difference. As it ran perfectly fine the first time I'm guessing it's down to the executable.

I've heard this is a common problem but I currently can't see any way around it. Could someone help me out?

Edit: Okay, after a bit of searching around I found that there is a crack needing to be installed, the Patch 2 no CD one. Now I have my antivirus program AVG telling me there's a virus in it... This makes me very apprehensive to open it as AVG has always been reliable so has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's a false positive, but AVG will never stop ignoring it. I switched to Avast.

The no-cd would very likely fix your issues.

3. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

I solved the virus problem, just put it in the file exceptions. However, even with the crack it still won't run and crashes. Any help?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. Gaear

I really have little specialized knowledge about ToEE with Vista or 7 since I use XP, but I always hear people asking "are you running as administrator?"

5. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

Yes, I am. I think I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling everything. If that doesn't work I suppose I'd best give up for now. Hopefully there'll be more patches specific to Vista in the future.

6. Gaear

Which crack are you using - what patch version and what is the size?

7. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

It's the 'Temple of Elemental Evil v2.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE' and is 16.1kb compressed and 33kb uncompressed. I think it's the right one.

8. Gaear

Yes.

Do you have intro movies disabled? If not, try disabling them.

9. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

As fun as those intro movies are, they DID give me problems once in the past

10. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

Sadly it doesn't make a difference.

11. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

Ok hen, to make things easier to help fix can you list everything you have done exactly?
    eg,
    >Re-installed
    >Run as Admin
    >Patched

etc..

12. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

Okay, I've uninstalled and am reinstalling. This is exactly what I did:

>> Installed the game from the disks, both in good condition. Game installs fine (before I managed to launch the game and play it by checking the 'lauch game' box after installation, that no longer works.)

>>Ran the TOEE_PATCH1_ENU patch successfully.

>>Ran the TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2 patch successfully.

>>DID NOT install patch 3.

>>Was not required to download Microsft .NET Framework v 2.0 as it is already installed.

>>Extracted the contents of the Co8 modpack 2010_01_01_Circle_of_Eight_Modpack_5.7.1_BETA into the Temple of Elelmental Evil directory.

>>Downloaded and unpacked the Temple of Elemental Evil v2.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE patch and replaced the .exe file in the ToEE directory making both files exceptions on my virus software.

>>Checked all compatibitly modes and set both TOEE.exe and TOEE-X.exe to run as adnim.

>>Tried running both the original game and the mod pack from the TOEE Front end-X menu with Intro movies enabled and disabled.

The game still exits prompting that the TOEE.exe has stopped working.

Any suggestions?

13. Gaear

This from the Vista 64 bit thread:

• Check your video card settings and make sure that antialiasing is set to application controlled.
    • Try installing Rad Video Tools. You can get it here: http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm. Rad Video Tools contains the Bink video codec that ToEE uses. We saw that some users of Vista had to install Rad Video Tools separately for some reason, even though ToEE contains the codec.

Also, have you checked the Vista compatability thread?

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4889

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  14. r-o-t-a

r-o-t-a Member

Yes, yes, yes!!! Thanks so much for all the help guys!

It's working now I've set anit-aliasing to application controlled. I never thought to do that. Typical it's the last thing I try.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help. It's good to know you can play older games on new computers thanks to communities like these.

15. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

lol I didn't think of that Gaear. Glad to know it;s fixed r-o-t-a

Our Host!