Original Fragarach and Scather skin codes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by blackfly, Sep 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I cannot recall where but the ORIGINAL look of Fragarach and Scather were changed. I am looking for the ORIGINAL 5 digit codes for both but cannot locate them. If anyone has them or knows where they are.... I find the look of Fragarach as a boring "gold bastard sword" pathetic. At least the original look of the sword (a lightning-like yellow sword) was interesting and would like to keep the same. This is also true of Scather. Thanks in advance.

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Open protos of vanilla TOEE?

3. blackfly

Which one is it? Do you have to install vanilla TOEE and open it or is there a file with the original protos.tab?

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I think those icons where changed in art/meshes and protos has no effect on it. Not 100% sure here but the protos entries are the same for vanilla and 5.6.
    I think maybe Half_Knight or someone re-did them a long time ago.

5. blackfly

I remember asking for this about a year ago and cannot find the link. The original game has the swords look "lightning like" which I prefer and all I had to do was change the 5 number "look code" in the protos.tab file and it returned to normal. I am asking where to get those two numbers (if someone has them handy).

Actually don't worry. I was able to find them through an archival search. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It was Cujo (to bring the in-game sword in line with the opening video) and you don't have to change any files, you just have to remove the new model. I can't say exactly where it is until I get to my modding PC later but it would be something like data/art/meshes/swords or something. If you open data/art/meshes.mes (or any nearby file that looks like that, I forget the exact location) and search for Fragarach, it should have the exact path in there. Then, just delete any and all files that look likely - fragarach.mdf, fragarach.ska, whatever - and the game will revert to the ones in the .dats.

No responsibility taken if you break your game following off-the-cuff untested advice :wave:

7. ben34

ben34 Member

woe woe woe! I don't want this to get the best of us but I think this is a good question and with that I might even say that it deserves a well researched answer even! Now I realize developement is limited to preference hear but is there no way to reinstall the older models for I myself have a soft spot for them as well. Can cujo help us in a more reliable way as far as well crash tested!?

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

umm, yeah, its something like ted said, or something. there's a posiblitiy that I kept the original models in game as a different sword.

thinking about it that sounds more likely. the model number in the protos is a new one I made - so I didn't have to mess with thrommels mob or anything. so if you compare what the model number's are in vanilla toee vs what they are now, they'll most likely be different. if you want original swords go use the model numbers from vanilla toee

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Deleting those files will cause the game to crash when Frag/Scather are present, because the meshes.mes file points to them.

In order to reverse the change, you may instead alter the meshes.mes file:

in data\art\meshes folder, locate the meshes.mes file.

Find the entry:
    {10016}{Weapons\fragard_sword}

Change it to

{10016}{Weapons\fragarach}

This should do the trick.

Likewise for Scather:
    {10017}{Weapons\scathrd_sword}
    Change into:
    {10017}{Weapons\scather}

I've tested it and haven't run into any problems so far.

And as mentioned above, I also found it fitting that the Frag/Scather models were special, just like the swords themselves. Do you think making them resemble the sword in the intro movie (which you probably don't even watch more than a few times) is worth doing away with their unique form?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  10. blackfly

Thanks all.

I opened the protos.tab and altered the look there, with the original skins from a thread I found in the vault.

I equipped my fighter with both (he is dual wielding with bastard swords) and I did not have a crash.

Personally, I find that when "unique" weapon looks are present they SHOULD be left alone. I cannot understand when so much of the game is modded that the look of interesting weapons are modded to "bland straight bladed" versions for "accuracy" is totally bunk. After all, the original form should be a broadsword, so why dicker with the small detail? I mean, there are so many weapons that are boring, frankly, with the exception of the masterwork greataxe, frag and scather, frostbrand and flametongue. You would think that there would be some way of telling, BY LOOK ALONE, that the glaive, morningstar, greatsword, warhammer (I could go on) of masterwork variety was special, and worth inspection. But this was not done so you could be forgiven if most initiate players overlook certain weapons.

This is small detail, I admit. But it is detail that I notice, and I am sure I am not the only one. I would perhaps use more different weapons if they LOOKED interesting, not boring derivatives. I mean, look at the Falchion. It is interesting as it is, but what about a chained morningstar, or flail, or warhammer that is modded to look interesting to illicit a reaction that causes more use. I myself, in my game , heavily mod the look of warhammers so that the greathammer looks like the magic warhammer that the random party encounter looks like (the +1 hammer the dwarf fighter has) and the masterwork ones look like the warhammer +2 that Alreem has.

Again, this is minor detail I know but when you have played through the game as much as I have, you begin to notice detail and focus on it.

Like the look of the drow elven chain. I mod it in when the green elven chain is found simply because it looks cool. I would like to ask that this aspect is thought of when mods are made. Because you know that the diehards like I are going to stick around and use them and going to notice.

But again, thanks for all the work.

Our Host!