Animal Companions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Avatar_do_Grafite, Aug 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Well, I have several questions about Animal Companion in ToEE. Mostly for Druids, but some also for Ranger.

I have noted that my attack dog have reached a point in wich it's hit points just are stucked. It dont receive any HP since my druid are at level 7 - She it's at 12, actually. This is proposital?
    More: The other onus that animal companions raceive for RAW (AC, str/dex and special habilities) are all allowed in the game? Animal companions dont receive any trick, I know, and I'm not refering to this.
    Finally: If I call for an animal companion of low level - lets say a wolf, when my druid it's at 10 level - this animal will receive all those bonus?

Augment Summoning affect Animal Companions? If yes, in wich way?

Last one: To my animal companion have full HP for HD it receives, I shall mark the "max NPC hp per HD" option or the "max HP per level", that works for my characters?

I'm questing this couse I have noted that my animal companions just looks weakest that they shold be. Right, I know that an attack dog it's not so good as a jackal (why?!?), but I have two druids in the party, and I have decided to have one that will change the animal companion time to time, and another that will keep his first one, just to compare the two options.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Member

I found that animal companions do not gain levels automatically as the druid or ranger levels up. However, I found that if I dismiss the animal companion and call the same one again, the new one seems to be at a higher level. It seems that you have to dismiss and call it again when you level up in order to have the best type of that animal companion.

Animal companions don't get more powerful at every level. I think it's every 3 levels or so. When your call companion menu has more options, it's an indication that you've reached a point where you can get a more powerful companion (either a newer one or a pumped up older one).

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I just enjoy trying all of them out. While the jackals and the bears are probably the best, I like going with the lizards and the panda bear, he looks funny lopping along.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I like how bugbears go nuts over the cat, risking AoOs and disregarding everything else just to get at them.

5. Zagig

Zagig Member

I've never really been fond of animal companions in TOEE. They have a tendency to go off and do their own thing too much. For example, my current party likes to sit back and wait for their opponents to come to them. When my ranger tried out an animal companion, it charged into combat, ruining my strategy. I had to charge in just to save the animal's life (I think it was a wolf). No thanks.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Member

The fact that you cannot control the animal companions is what I dislike the most about them. Still they take some heat away from your party if you use a compatible strategy. Even if they die, you can call them again after a rest.

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Try manipulating their position in the marching order interface.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

This DOES work, but I find I have to do it on pretty much all the 5 marching orders, and then go back to the first one and correct it again! And then leave that one active...

Helps keep them alive a little longer ;)

9. Avatar_do_Grafite

Well, I don't believe that ya need to dismiss they to have a more powerful version of the same animal, once I have noted an up on the HP of the animal companion when my Druid level up. So I realize that the same occurs with the base attack and stats, as with HP. It's not currect?

Zagig
    If ya like to sit back and wait yer enemies to come... Well, just let yer animal companions to charge! So the enemies will go agains the animal, and ya shall use yer long-range weaponry to kill then all before they reach yer characters - and after all, just go call another animal companion. Well, this looks a realy evil attitude, but works!

General Ghoul
    Lizards looks funny? Hum... I disagree... Actually, the lizard is my secound favorite animal companion, after the brown bear. It hit just once, but hit hard! And looks an excelent animal companion for a half-orc!

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I like to keep most of the AC's in the back to guard my spellcasters from the inevitable surprise attack from behind, until I get the bears, who can tank with the best of them.

I like to keep the front decoy position filled with a charmed monster or undead summons.

AdG, I meant I think the pandas look funny while they run, the lizaeds are cool for the half orcs, but I think they also work for dwarves, what else would live underground with them?

11. Avatar_do_Grafite

General Ghoul

Hum... Really. As a bear really looks a better animal companion for a dwarf, the underground lizards are really a good choice, too!
    I've never made a dwarf ranger - 'cose of the lack of movement - or druid - 'cose I just can't see a dwarf druid at all, if not at underground....

I'll try a dwarf druid, I think...

Our Host!