Volunteers Needed: Jerkstop Testing

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Apr 25, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hello all,

It's quite possible that Agetian has identified the source of the dreaded jerkstop phenomenon that players sometimes experience in Hommlet, but we need some testers to see if the fixes work.

Ideally you should a) be a frequent encounterer of jerkstoppyness, b) preferably have a save where you know it exists (which I realize is unlikely), c) otherwise be able to reliably reproduce jerkstop conditions in your game. For example, if you have frequent jerkstop problems and know even when to anticipate their arrival (e.g., "okay, I'm leaving the WW, get ready for jerkstop") that would be best. That way you wouldn't have to run around trying to trigger it all day.

If we ID a fix that seems to work, we'll probably ask you do some extended testing to ensure that the apparent correction isn't just a fluke (i.e. play the game half way through or so).

Volunteers please post here. I'd say we could use maybe three. Thanks.

2. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

I'd like to help. I get it quite a bit early in the game.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

I have a saved game at that point, and it would be easy to trigger jerk-stop.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Since I created the name, it's incumbent on me to contribute. I have a game now that has tried to start several times. It would be easy to create a save game. Do you want it in progress (easy), or about to start on the next map change (like leave WW)?

Remember, we had this in 5.0.6 BEFORE the new front end. I doubt I have anything from then.

The first sign for me is often around 4-5 level, a complete freeze after sleeping in the WW.

5. Groo the Ambler

On second thought, my save game might not be suitable, since it is plagued with another problem - late game CTD on map change.

6. Gaear

Thanks, guys. Actually I think we'll have to scrap the saved game plan, as this will need to be tested with a new game. I'll provide more details as they develop.

7. Gaear

Okay, testers are blackwind, Groo the Ambler, and GA82. The initial fix candidate is attached, 'FSML_fix_1.rar.'

Installation instructions:

1. Using WinRar, open the download FSML_fix_1.rar.
    2. Click the 'Extract To' button on the top and extract the contents to your ToEE root directory, being sure that 'Extract and replace files' is selected.
    3. Launch TFE-X.
    4. Make sure that 'Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 BETA' is the active module and is selected in the list.
    5. Click the 'Add-On Packs' button.
    6. Select 'FSML_fix_1' from the list.
    7. Click 'Install.'
    8. Click 'Yes' on the box that pops up to confirm the installation.
    9. WAIT UNTIL THE ACTIVATION IS COMPLETED. You will see a confirmation box.

Testing Instructions:

1. Launch 'Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 BETA' via TFE-X.
    2. START A NEW GAME.
    3. Run around Hommlet and Nulb specifically and try to trigger jerkstop.
    4. Report your findings here.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing your reports.

Attention everybody else: unless you're a tester, I would not recommend that you try this yet. Wait until the fix has been verified and we'll release it officially.

EDIT [Agetian]: The previously attached add-on contained a fatal error and led to a crash. Make sure you redownload the new one, either from here or from the post below (FSML_fix_1_fixed.rar). If you have the old add-on file (FSML_fix_1.rar), please delete it. If you tried installing it already and got a crash, make sure you revert your module structure before installing the new add-on (go to TFE-X, click "Add-ons", hit the "Revert" button, and wait out the process, then install the add-on FSML_fix_1_fixed).

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  8. Groo the Ambler

Got it. Perhaps this deed will win the heart of the fair Fruella.

9. GuardianAngel82

Uh...doing what she says and giving her all your money is going to get you as good as you're going to get.

Fair? We ARE talking about the same Fruella, right...she of the screeching whine and ever-open yap?

10. Groo the Ambler

When installing the add-on, I got an "unhandled exception ... Cannot find central directory" error.

Details:

I can still run the game. Any way to tell if the add-on installed?

11. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ Groo the Ambler: I reproduced the crash. Wait a bit till I figure out what's wrong.

- Agetian

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  12. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ Testers: The original add-on file was broken, it won't install and it'll effectively crash TFE-X. If you already tried installing it and got yourself a crash, launch TFE-X, go to "Add-ons", and hit the "Revert" button, then wait out the process (you'll get a confirmation box saying your module structure is reverted). This will effectively get rid of any corruption that your installation might have suffered during the crash. Then, delete the old add-on file and use the add-on file from this post instead, it's the fixed version of the fix. ;)

@ Gaear: The add-on file was created incorrectly, TFE-X does *NOT* support RAR archives as TAM packages (as well as TFM packages), both TAMs and TFMs are supposed to be ZIP, not RAR! This is very important, using RARs will mislead TFE-X - it'll think it's a valid add-on but it'll fail to install it and crash; I'll try to add some more prediction for that in the future builds of TFE-X.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  13. Groo the Ambler

Okay, I got a successful install. So I'm off with St. Cuthbert, to demonstrate the Folly of Error to the Unbeliever.

14. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

I've got it downloaded. I'll post back after I get through the first half of the game and let you know what I find.

15. GuardianAngel82

Got it. :thumbsup:

Our Host!